Tesco Bag overshoes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've done the plastic-bags-over-socks trick a few times. It definitely helps in really bad weather.

I didn't know where Dinckley is but I just checked and I see that I ride past it 2 or 3 times a year from Ribchester Bridge to Old Lango. Would it be possible/sensible/legal to ride a road bike from Dinckley and use the bridge and bridleway to get up to Hurst Green? I'd like to try Whalley-York-Langho-Dinckley-Hurst Green rather than the usual road route via Mitton.

Just been looking at the map and I see that it's tarmac road for about 500m northwards from Dinkley but then there's a gate and a "Private Road" sign from where the status is footpath as far as Dinkley Hall farm. From the north end of the bridge there's about 200m of footpath before the BW starts that takes you up to Hurst Green so no, the route would be what mountain bikers call "cheeky". TBH I would ride down to the river then walk for a bit and hope for the best.

It might be worth dropping the Ribble Valley ROW officer a mail and asking if there are any plans to upgrade the approaches to the new bridge to BW so as to create a through cycling and horse route between Dinkley and Hurst Green. I doubt it because although the new bridge has a super non-slip treatment to the wood decking, horse riders would have to dismount as riding a horse across would be dangerous and I don't think wood decking is suitable for horses.

20190317_094954.jpg

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Then remove them by hand?
Yes, remove one, and step over the line, remove the other and bring that foot to the clean side of the line. Then remove your gloves and wash your hands

Top Bottom