Tesla self drive car overtaking cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd be delighted if cars all slowed down and gave me that much room!

mustang1

Guru
The car moved half into the other lane; that seems ok to me.

On another note: impressive piece of software and the way the sensors pick up obstacles. I wish more software was written like that rather than the consumer crap the rest of us get.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Now do it without the cyclists singling out, and with the outside one suddenly swerving round a drain cover.

Edit: on a winding rough surfaced road, with cars parked either side, in the rain, on a single lane etc etc. Basically do it in anything other than the absolutely ideal conditions which are in that vid.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Although not self steering my car would have slowed me to the cyclist speed allowing a braking distance, until I had enough clear space in front by going wide to overtake them. Had I been allowing it to do so of course.

Mburton1993

Well it’s better than those motorists that just won’t overtake until the whole road’s clear and you’re 2 millimetres from the kerb and drive behind you for ages.

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
Now do it without the cyclists singling out, and with the outside one suddenly swerving round a drain cover.
Edit: on a winding rough surfaced road, with cars parked either side, in the rain, on a single lane etc etc. Basically do it in anything other than the absolutely ideal conditions which are in that vid.

Valid points. Autopilot is mostly tested in America which isn't known for its abundance of narrow single lane roads. That said, Tesla's have night vision and all sorts of telemetry which means that its vision should be better than a humans, and decision making (as I mentioned above) tends to be conservative. You would be most likely to have irate motorists behind you honking their horns as the Tesla refuses to overtake until there is sufficient room.

gzoom

Über Member
For all those people who think cyclist some how deserve more rights on the road this video of a Tesla going through a busy street should bring people down to reality. Watch from about 3.30, cyclist running red lights, weaving through busy pedestrian crossing, a scooter rider trying to tailgate a bus....Essentially before cyclist get high and mighty about how cars should pass them, cyclist should learn to follow the rules of the road.

View: https://youtu.be/bTM-oZJdGZo

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Essentially before cyclist get high and mighty about how cars should pass them, cyclist should learn to follow the rules of the road.
I am not them. I cannot make them behave. I have been part of campaigns for more cyclist training and more traffic policing for many years. I do not deserve to have my life put in danger because some other cyclists break rules (some of which are unjustified bull shoot as I am sure you know) or even the law.

Why do you not hold motorists to this rule? No more toys for drivers until they all stop breaking laws.

Top Bottom