Texting on a horse!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
1682445 said:
That's awful, almost beyond belief in fact. Now in the intervening 20 years, how many people have been similarly injured by cars?
Have you already anticipated that I might say that there are a lot more vehicles than horses on the roads and they might be performing more important roles than stretching Rufus's legs and entertaining Tabitha.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
It will just ignore you then wont it?
Or kick you off your pushbike and throw Tabitha off.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
You know the rules Adrian - no bad language and that includes using "*". I took a ban for the team and I don't want a great guy like you to suffer the same fate.

I think even if you only count the number of vehicles taking people to work, people who work out of their vehicles like me and all the emergency vehicles, it would still greatly outweigh the Tabitha's of the country who could quite easily trot around a field instead.

Norm

You know, brokenflipflop, much as I enjoy the perverse irony in someone with a Q7 berating a horse rider for being called Tabitha, if you took any one of your posts on this thread and replaced horse with bike, you might get a different perspective.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
You know, brokenflipflop, much as I enjoy the perverse irony in someone with a Q7 berating a horse rider for being called Tabitha, if you took any one of your posts on this thread and replaced horse with bike, you might get a different perspective.
I don't know what you mean. It's the unpredictability of a large beast and its young rider with no training/insurance etc that is my issue. A bicycle isn't a horse and like a vehicle it's just the driver/cyclist that may be the problem and a horse is potentially more dangerous due to its size than a pushbike is. Apologies if you mean something else and I didn't realise.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
1682483 said:
You really don't get it do you? People using out roads for the purpose of leisure is important. The end product of your way is culturally sterile.
I am culturally infertile but on the other hand I'm very health and safety conscious and horses on roads being ridden by kids is dangerous in my opinion.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
1682493 said:
OK, as you've gone all coy on that one I'll look it up for myself. 294g/km, so 2kg in less than 8km.
I can't slip on what comes out of my Q7 AND I've heard that scientists have said the overdue ice age has been held off due to carbon emissions so it seems I am helping the human race while the horse is just creating a pooh obstacle for cyclists.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
1682496 said:
Not if you leave them enough space.
That could mean a detour down a different lane then.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
1682508 said:
Or just wait behind.
and get pooh on my bonnet/in my tyres or worse, a Christopher Reeve incident. I'm thinking that as far as the horse is concerned, it wouldn't matter if it was ridden in a field or a bridleway so I can only assume they take them on the roads because the riders get a buzz from the attention/audience they get from the motoring and general public "look at me on my horse etc etc"

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Well, I'm personally against keeping horses as a pet/investment, so I'm good with it on the basis of cruelty.

But in terms of safety, she's probably had more training than most cyclists and those holding a CBT certificate. What's scary is that she's had the training and is still out there texting.

I assume she'd do the same regardless of what vehicle she was in charge of at the time, which frankly terrifies me. I had a very close pass last week by a young lady "doing her eyebrows" whilst driving.

Can we not just ban teenagers?

Norm

It's the unpredictability of a large beast and its young rider with no training/insurance etc that is my issue.
Training and insurance? You really did buy into the Audi philosophy wholesale, didn't you. However, shall we try a few examples...

I think even if you only count the number of vehicles taking people to work, people who work out of their vehicles like me and all the emergency vehicles, it would still greatly outweigh the Tabitha's of the country who could quite easily cycle on the lanes paid out of my road tax instead.

I've seen plenty of bike races where a supposedly top end bike with an experienced rider has done something completely unpredictable - 15 year old tabitha sitting on a BSO with cars, cyclists and dogs buzzing about is asking for trouble.

About 20 years ago I worked with a bloke who was almost totally deaf, had poor vision and minor brain damage as a result of a clipless moment - it only has to happen once doesn't it.

Don't trust carbon frames or the silly MAMILS riding them - can't believe they're allowed on the road.

Oh yeah. Silly me. What if there's a traffic jam tother side? What if the bike hits a pothole or loose gravel and the rider comes off - it's a dumb animal driving the car and giving it a wide birth might not necessarily make any difference to a disaster.

etc

Top Bottom