Thames Path Meander, Mk III (18/09/11)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrij

Über Member
As an option for a Sunday London ride on 18[sup]th[/sup] September, I plan to run my Thames Path Meander. You can read about the first two over at the other place. Yes, I know there's a bike event on in London that day, but we won't be using the same roads. OTOH, I'm moving the starting point from the Monument to the Southwark Needle (next to Ev4n5) at the southern end of London Bridge; 10:30 departure.

We'll head east, staying as close to the Thames as is feasible, crossing back north at Woolwich, then back toward the City - there will be a few worthwhile diversions from the river. The route is roughly 50km, nearly all off-road, with only one hill (and a flyover). It can be done on skinny tyres (I've done it on 25s) but if you have something beefier you may be more comfortable. There are gates and a few stairs, so tandems and trikes of both varieties may have some difficulties. There will be riverside lunch and tea stops; the pace will be slow; lots of trivia will be shared.

The List (CC and others)
CharlieB
cycleman
why1040 ?
User10571 ?
delthebike ?
User ?
Wowbagger ?
mike ?
gerwinium ?

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
That sounds interesting - bits I've probably never seen.
May I join you, A?

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
That sounds interesting - bits I've probably never seen.
May I join you, A?

You're more than welcome! Anyone is welcome to join in, except unaccompanied minors.

Actually, if anyone is planning to bring along one or more children please let me know in advance.

I like cycling in that area

by off road i take it you mean the GreenWay.... couple of weeks ago i was that way and a few parts were closed...may be worht a quick check / ask around.

Would like to do this but have promised my son a day at the Tour of Britain Final Stage..
Enjoy the day though....

Note to self... Head out that way again soon.

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member

by off road i take it you mean the GreenWay.... couple of weeks ago i was that way and a few parts were closed...may be worht a quick check / ask around.

Would like to do this but have promised my son a day at the Tour of Britain Final Stage..
Enjoy the day though....

Note to self... Head out that way again soon.

No use of the Greenway on this route - it's mostly the Thames Path.

If I can fit it in my schedule, I'll try to run this again before the weather turns too foul.

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
Quite by coincidence, Southwark Cyclists are planning to run their classic Locks & Docks ride that same day... pretty much same route and with snippets of info on London's riverside history. :rolleyes:

Let's get ready to rumble! :boxing:

:biggrin:

We'll manage. IIRC, the first one coincided with the London Bikeathon, including shared route.

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
Recce'd a few bits of the route this week and I can confirm the diner will be open! :thumbsup:

A list of riders (confirmed and tentative) added to the first post.

This sounds fun!

Please can I be added to the list.

M :bicycle:

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
This sounds fun!

Please can I be added to the list.

M :bicycle:

Done!

Well, added to my paper list here at home. I see I can no longer edit the first post, so will redo the list as a reply at some point this weekend (hoping a few more people confirm).

Please may I join you? :rolleyes:

Looks like Southwark Cyclists may not run its Locks & Docks ride that day due to commitments to run rides for the London Open House weekend. Sorry Andrij, the Rumble in the Jungle is off!

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
The List (cc and other fora)
CharlieB
cycleman
mice
why1040
Tim & Mrs Hall
clarion (+1?)
gerwinium
TimO
RebeccaOlds

User10571 ?
delthebike ?
User ?
Wowbagger ?
Mrs Wowbagger ?
mike ?

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member

Apologies, Nigel. Having reviewed the route over the last few days I noticed many 'Jubilee Greenway' plaques set into the path. When I first saw your Greenway comment I thought you meant the one between Victoria Park and Beckton. Oops.

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
I've now reviewed the entire route. If you plan to do this ride on a trike or tandem I strongly recommend you reconsider - there are a number of gates to negotiate. If a trike or tandem is your only option then please PM me ASAP! There are diversions which can be used, but I'd like to know in advance so I can double-check maps.

I don't want to scare folk away, but it is only fair that I am completely honest about the route. There will be:
* gates
* bollards
* steps (not full flights)
* kerbs (up and down, not many)
* cobbles (lots)
* uneven paving stones
* busy roads (less than 1km in total)
* NCN paths
* points of interest (many)
* photo opportunities (lots)

vickster

Legendary Member
This sounds like fun, count me in weather permitting...:smile: I'm a bit wobbly around gates so please don't all ride off into the big blue yonder :whistle:

Top Bottom