Thanking Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Reminds me of my late Grandad. He'd stick is walking stick out in front of him and just walk across the road with a pipe in his mouth with the sound of horns going and tyre screeching. We can laugh now, but at the time he drove people mad! :laugh:
:becool:

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Drivers looking miserable and wearing impatient expressions to me seems a bizarre observation.

Clearly you've never waited at the top of Ditchling for the back of the ride to arrive! I'm merely suggesting that the demeanour of drivers sits uneasily with the belief that the waving and thanking is either indicative of, or advances, mutual good will and good humour.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Or the lass that walked in front of me in city traffic and then said she would walk in the road if she wanted to. I thought 'Try declaring that when you're under an SUV with two broken legs and a crushed pelvis - !' :whistle:
1. That's normal operation in Norwich. Or at least it was when I arrived, decades ago. People just walked out. Maybe not on the arterial and ring roads (but much of the inner ring was at a standstill most of the day back then, which it feels like drivers today forget), but anywhere in city or district centres. Any time. It confused local drivers if you pushed one of those beg buttons and waited. It's entirely correct and proper IMO and was a joy to behold: pedestrians have priority and should be able to expect everything but animals to yield.

2. Farking motorists bullying people off the roads with threats of violent serious injury. :cursing: If you don't want to share the roads with people on foot or bikes, then go drive on a motorway.

swansonj

Guru
I was given a wave of thanks by a motorist last week for waiting at a give way sign on my side road and not trying to pull out onto his more major road in front of him. But this was in Jersey, where drivers seem to wait for you or make way for you at the drop of a hat. We gave a lot more waves of thanks in return - it felt natural given that it was reciprocal, an all-round more civilised experience.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
This afternoon I got a wave of thanks from a driver when I indicated left to show I was turning into a road that he was waiting to pull out of.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I don't think that being civil to strangers should draw criticism.
I agree totally, SM. Everyone can act towards others as they see fit. I try to make eye contact with drivers as we meet at corners, etc. Seems to me that those that allow themselves to be undistracted calm human beings can actually interact with a smile, nod or wave now and then. Not required, not expected, but a pleasant moment when it happens. If they decide to flip me the bird instead, so it goes. My life's apparently going better than theirs at that particular moment. I hope theirs get better. I don’t do road rage stuff, with drivers, bikers or pedestrians. No one is going to change someone else.

It's rare for a driver not to stop here: when it happens it's usually a mistake on the part of the driver and I generally get an apologetic wave.

That said, drivers generally say thank you here where I wait, so I find myself reciprocating and thanking them when they do. In Stuttgart they assume they have right of way and ignore cyclists, so I don't.

Funny how my behaviour is so easily influenced by others...

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It's rare for a driver not to stop here: when it happens it's usually a mistake on the part of the driver and I generally get an apologetic wave.

That said, drivers generally say thank you here where I wait, so I find myself reciprocating and thanking them when they do. In Stuttgart they assume they have right of way and ignore cyclists, so I don't.

Funny how my behaviour is so easily influenced by others...

Which perhaps, supports @slowmotion 's post:

I don't think that being civil to strangers should draw criticism.

Top Bottom