Thanking Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
You get what you give.
That sounds nice but it's not actually true, is it, as a description of relations between different road users? I mean, a man nearly killed me with a lorry a week or so ago, and I don't recall ever threatening the life of a lorry driver.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
That sounds nice but it's not actually true, is it, as a description of relations between different road users? I mean, a man nearly killed me with a lorry a week or so ago, and I don't recall ever threatening the life of a lorry driver.

well if you take my words out of context and twist them, of course not.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I give a wave or thumbs up even if I have priority.

There are plenty of impatient people who couldn't spare a few seconds for me flying past that pulled out in front of me (and gave me a heart attack) even if it meant they were blocking the entire cycle/bus lane or road waiting to merge with other traffic which wasn't moving at all.

I also thank the people who move their cars a little to the left or right so I can filter past when at a set of lights. Of course they don't need to but it's nice when they do.

What does annoy me occasionally is when I give way to a pedestrian trying to cross a road and they take the piss by not even acknowledging me and walking strolling across the road as slow as they can crawl. These people are a special bunch and they drive me up the absolute wall but luckily they are very few and far between but i digress. For every muppet like this there have been countless numbers of people who HAVE thanked me for slowing down or stopping so they can cross to the other side of the road.

So a little bit of politeness goes a long way even if not everyone you share the road (and would rather not) appreciates your presence there.
It doesnt take a whole lot of effort to tip your hat, nod or lift your hand for a small wave. You get what you give.

My sentiments exactly. ;)

I have the book (Why The Germans Do It Better). Haven't started it yet, still reading Jeremy Paxman Memoirs on my e-reader. I will wait until I have read it before deciding to "thank you for the recommendation" ;)

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I wave - ok a very small wave - as a sort of thank you

I also thank bus drivers when I get of in spite of the fact that it is literally their job to stop if I want to get off

I also thank people who wait for me to pass when they side of the road is obstructed by e.g. parked cars - even though they are supposed to wait

When I was a teacher I once had a pupil who got me a thank you present after she passed he exams
only once though - in about 15 years
If a teacher wants present they have to be a class teacher in Primary - Secondary pupils don;t give gifts
apparently

Anyway - saying thank you costs nothing

Oh - just remembered - when you get one of those traffic calming things on the road where one direction has right of way (they are often either side of a village with residents on the Council) if a car stops to wait when I am approaching , then I wave "thank you" even though it is my right of way.

Maybe I was brain washed as a kid

100% agree.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
It's alright saying "we should be civil / nice to each other", that's a perfectly fine maxim across most aspects of life, and I get it. Just not in a situation where one party will be breaking the law if they don't stop for the other. It's not being "courteous" to stop at a red light, it's the law, and you wouldn't say thanks to someone for doing that. It's not a "courtesy" to stop at a give way when there's someone coming. And it's the same on a zebra crossing, a driver can get 3 points and a fine for failing to stop, because it's a legal requirement, not a courtesy.

Stop teaching drivers the belief that they've done you a favour by complying with the law.

By all means continue to be nice to people who have done you a courtesy. Driver spots you standing at the kerb, and stops to wave you across? Give that driver a nice thank you wave, because they didn't have to. In other situations above, you shouldn't be waving, and equally you shouldn't be abused for not waving.

I think the phrase you're dissing is positive reinforcement.

to totally derail the thread
went to grand-daughter's birthday family 'do' today

Most of the route is on the motorway
outside lane was doing 60-65 - no more
as usual I left a 2 second gap

at least 10 'people' undertook me and pulled in front - this reducing the gap dramatically dropping the gap so I slow down - and the next moron - sorry car driver - undertook
probably 4 of the 10 did so in a massively dangerous manner

as well as having the 'think you' wave

can we have a "stop driving like a moron" signal

maybe involving missiles and shaped charges?????????:eek::eek:

When I met my wife I said I would like to buy a tank - today said I was right

OK ALL

back on topic before I get shouted at!!!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm sorry to hear of your recent incident. I don't think anybody would expect or ask you to give a cheery wave to somebody who has endangered your life. I still think that it's reasonable to treat other lorry drivers, as a group, with courtesy though. After all, they are not all the same, any more than all cyclists are the same.

R_nger

Guru
Wtf does this mean?

You refered to people here as Brits which led me to believe you weren't one, what's your problem?

You are one angry chick.
It seems you’re a bit confused - maybe read the Brits reference again.

And then consider whether the tone of your response was appropriate.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'm sorry to hear of your recent incident. I don't think anybody would expect or ask you to give a cheery wave to somebody who has endangered your life. I still think that it's reasonable to treat other lorry drivers, as a group, with courtesy though. After all, they are not all the same, any more than all cyclists are the same.
Thanks Slowmo, but there's no need to be quite so simplistic. I'm asking those who believe that the one-sided courtesy ritual of pedestrian crossings somehow spreads love around and brings goodwill dividends to explain how this works and when we will be seeing the gains for pedestrians. It is, as far as I can think of, the only scenario in which the party with priority routinely thanks the party obliged to yield. Drivers entering roundabouts do not nod to the car waiting to their left, nor do people proceeding along main roads wave and smile gratefully as they pass those waiting at give way lines at side roads.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
to totally derail the thread
went to grand-daughter's birthday family 'do' today

Most of the route is on the motorway
outside lane was doing 60-65 - no more
as usual I left a 2 second gap

at least 10 'people' undertook me and pulled in front - this reducing the gap dramatically dropping the gap so I slow down - and the next moron - sorry car driver - undertook

as well as having the 'think you' wave

can we have a "stop driving like a moron" signal

maybe involving missiles and shaped charges?????????:eek::eek:

When I met my wife I said I would like to buy a tank - today said I was right

OK ALL

back on topic before I get shouted at!!!

If 10 people undertook you, that means, the lane on your left was not occupied, why weren’t you in it? (The lane on your left).

I also acknowledge people who have stopped at the traffic calming spots when I have priority, no need to but why not?

Right by my house is a large 'yellow box' area on a small roundabout, if people stop in it this prevents others getting through, I give them a knod as well.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

If you're being consistently undertaken on a motorway, that's usually an indication that you're in the wrong lane and should move over.

figbat

Slippery scientist
If somebody has made an active effort to ease my way then they get a thank you gesture, and I’ll make it as engaging as possible rather than just an offhand half-wave whilst I look the other way. Anybody who has simply done what is legally required of them gets nothing.

Examples:
  • Someone pulling in to a passing place on a single track road - thanks
  • Someone stopping at a give way sign because of priority in my direction - nope
  • Someone stopping at a zebra crossing as I am clearly about to cross - nothing
  • Someone anticipating that my approach to a crossing means I will use it and stopping to allow me an uninterrupted crossing - cheers
  • Someone seeing me behind them in traffic as I am filtering on my motorbike and moving over to give me room - nice one (whether I pass them or not, they get acknowledged
Sometimes I see people ‘thank’ me when I am at the head of a queue stopped at temporary traffic lights. This feels to me like the gesture is ingrained and subconscious and therefore meaningless. Rather like the insincere “have a nice day” in some quarters.

Last edited:

yello

It is simple. Somehow shows me a courtesy, I acknowledge that with a thanks. I don't process an equation of who is and who isn't to be thanked, or why. It's not political, it's a simple human gesture.

Tomorrow I might well be tutting (I don't, as a rule, do shouting or gesturing) that very same driver but that's as it is. And, yes, might ever be if everyone was like me.

Top Bottom