Thanking Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
The p****s that come right down the outside to the very front then try to 'merge' right the front get that treatment from me.

They are supposed to use both lanes, and, then, well "merge in turn" (the clue is in the name). Not totally sure what the objective is, but, I would guess, to reduce the length of the queue and minimise it blocking other junctions.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I also often pull over if there's a queue building behind me with no expectation of a safe overtaking place for a while. My motivation for this is purely selfish - I don't like having cars driving up my backside. It does occur to me that some people may think this a craven thing to do and may train drivers to expect such submissive behaviour. But I'm a short-termist so I keep on doing it.
Me too......no point in making them frustrated and boiling with rage and taking it out on the next cyclist they see.

Chief Broom

Veteran
I tend to be free and easy with waving and thanking drivers and waving especially is almost obligatory in the Highlands! ^_^ Of course sometimes its an 'ironic' kinda wave....ooh thanks everso for not running me over....Im not averse to giving the finger when warranted which doesnt happen that often and i occasionally shout abuse at someone parking in a passing place [from the window of my car,,doing it on a cycle could be risky]. Yesterday a motorhome came far to close when passing which is just another case of tunnel vision ego and inconsiderate of anyone else,..... theres a lot of that about whether in the sticks or the city.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't think you grasp the 'merge in turn' concept.
And that's why so many of them are littered with glass from crashes!

They are supposed to use both lanes, and, then, well "merge in turn" (the clue is in the name). Not totally sure what the objective is, but, I would guess, to reduce the length of the queue and minimise it blocking other junctions.
Yes, most of them are intended to clear the junction behind more quickly and stave off gridlock by a few more cars. So, mixed feelings on the arrogant drivers who think they know better and block mergers: the assistance to cycling by them jamming up motorists sooner is probably outweighed by all the glass on the road for us to ride over.

mjr

In common with most UK drivers, who fail to appreciate that it's far more efficient, and safer, to use all the lanes up to the point of the merge.
Well, many UK drivers fail to appreciate it's more efficient and safer to cycle most of the 66% of journeys that are shorter than 5 miles, so it's not a huge surprise, surely?

yello

In common with most UK drivers, who fail to appreciate that it's far more efficient, and safer, to use all the lanes up to the point of the merge.

It is strange one that one innit? Almost as if that (faux?) British politeness is operating in advance of the actual merge point, and using the lane to it's fullest length is somehow 'rude'.

FWIW, I'll always acknowledge someone for stopping for me on a pedestrian crossing. Yes I know it's the law, and I arguably need not thank people for obeying the law, but they've also acted in a considerate manner towards me. That is, they've seen me and stopped - obviously I don't know whether they've acted primarily out of obeyance or consideration (I personally think the latter in more cases than not) but it's that awareness and consideration I am thanking them for.

The alternative is to potentially p*ss them off and cause them not to stop at the next crossing. Think of it as a kind of carry-forward karma.

mustang1

Guru
Nice one.

Then there is that one when you're the minor road at at T-junction. I believe the law says the car turning from the main road into the minor road must give way to pedestrians. So that's one thing. But then at some junctions, a few metres away I see a zebra crossing and I think what's the point of having a zebra crossing where drivers are supposed to stop when the drivers were supposed to stop at the junction anyway.

unless I'm mistaken (rather possible actually). pls someone correct me.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I tend to be free and easy with waving and thanking drivers and waving especially is almost obligatory in the Highlands! ^_^ Of course sometimes its an 'ironic' kinda wave....ooh thanks everso for not running me over....Im not averse to giving the finger when warranted which doesnt happen that often and i occasionally shout abuse at someone parking in a passing place [from the window of my car,,doing it on a cycle could be risky]. Yesterday a motorhome came far to close when passing which is just another case of tunnel vision ego and inconsiderate of anyone else,..... theres a lot of that about whether in the sticks or the city.

Yes, I am "guilty" of that behaviour, an especially good wave and a smile and a mouthed "thank you", plus, a leisurely stroll across the crossing, for those who stop grudgingly, and/or in a cloud of tyre smoke. ;)

mjr

The alternative is to potentially p*ss them off and cause them not to stop at the next crossing. Think of it as a kind of carry-forward karma.
I don't believe the two shoots failing to stop at red lights on my way into town did it because a previous crosser failed to thank them. I feel it is far more likely they did it because they see red lights as an unfair impediment to their roads, motorists can do no wrong in many eyes so they do not suffer social stigma, and we have almost no red light cameras to catch them.

I don't think you grasp the 'merge in turn' concept.
I grasp the concept completely because it's what I do, what I don't do is completely ignore any chance of merging but drive right to the front where the lane is now single but try and barge my way in by driving over the hatched markings.

If this is something you do then good luck if you meet me at the front of the cue.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Me too......no point in making them frustrated and boiling with rage and taking it out on the next cyclist they see.
They are making themselves angry - the cyclist who doesn't do what they want is not responsible. I'm all for cyclists deciding, if they wish, to facilitate an overtake because they prefer the cars in front of them rather than behind, but placating an angry driver with deference is not doing anything to stem the entitlement which is the source of his anger. It will just make him feel more entitled to expect the next person to move over.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don't believe the two shoots failing to stop at red lights on my way into town did it because a previous crosser failed to thank them. I feel it is far more likely they did it because they see red lights as an unfair impediment to their roads, motorists can do no wrong in many eyes so they do not suffer social stigma, and we have almost no red light cameras to catch them.

In which case whether you thank or don’t thank that individual makes not an iota of difference.

Top Bottom