Thanking Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In the OP, it suggests it is law for a motorist to stop. It is only law once a pedestrian has made way onto the crossing.
OP suggests the person is already crossing. I've only seen people thank while crossing, not before.

Doesn't everyone stick half a foot on a zebra? Stopping is not farking optional, not that you'd know it from how motorists behave.

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
OP suggests the person is already crossing. I've only seen people thank while crossing, not before.

Doesn't everyone stick half a foot on a zebra? Stopping is not farking optional, not that you'd know it.
This place gets worse...

Enjoy it.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I've driven all over Argyll over many years but having spent some time south of our border over tge past 7 or 8 years I've come to realise that whilst we do still have issues and problems up here, it is a very different ball game down there. :eek:
My brother in law worked just outside London for a while and drove a van with tools etc. He said that if you stopped at a roundabout you could die of old age before you found a gap to get moving again. I last drove in that area about 60 years ago but on more recent forays to mid Wales on business I thought they were all quite mad. Pausing at T junctions was for wimps and you gave way to nobody. I had a slightly battered looking van with steel bumpers so most kept clear of me.

roley poley

Über Member
Not killing you is 'easing your passage through life'? Can we set the bar any lower?
No..that's the limbo bar set at its lowest but I still wiggle through ......we all deserve a higher setting

Or you can go around in life being a bitter, angry ar*ehole who hates everybody and looking for something to whinge about.

The choice, Ladies and Gentlemen is entirely yours. 😄
I think it was a valid comment and opinion. Certainly not a whinge.

Reactions: mjr

icowden

Veteran
Doesn't everyone stick half a foot on a zebra? Stopping is not farking optional, not that you'd know it from how motorists behave.

But you have to concede that there is a bit of give and take and certain things help. For example, if you are stationary, in a busy area waiting by a zebra crossing, there are a number of things that can happen.
  • The motorist just won't notice you because you are not moving.
  • The motorist won't stop as they are trying to work out whether you intend to cross or not, or whether you are just waiting for someone.
By moving forward and putting a foot on the edge of the crossing, looking to see if the cars are stopping, your body language indicates to the driver that you are waiting to cross, so they are more likely to see you and stop. However, its possible that they see you too late to be able to stop safely, or they are just a**holes.

So yes - in principle drivers should always stop at a Zebra crossing, however in the real world this is not a given for many reasons, some of which are outlined above. Thus, as pedestrians or cyclists we can give signals that help facilitate the crossing transaction - but caution should still be exercised (in my view).

34a794c913ac09fa1c4ddac2d5eac375--bicycle-wheel-cartoons.jpg

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
In the same way I still say "Thank you" to the bus driver when I get off.

Thank you for taking the correct route, and not deciding to give the 62 route down the Bristol Road a try instead.
Thank you for not crashing the bus on the way.
Thank you for stopping at the bus stop as I requested, rather than sailing through and going all the way to the terminus.
Thank you for not slamming the brakes on when I got off the seat and laughing as I tumble down the aisle.

Or just "Thank you" because I am polite.

Top Bottom