Thanking Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's alright saying "we should be civil / nice to each other", that's a perfectly fine maxim across most aspects of life, and I get it. Just not in a situation where one party will be breaking the law if they don't stop for the other. It's not being "courteous" to stop at a red light, it's the law, and you wouldn't say thanks to someone for doing that. It's not a "courtesy" to stop at a give way when there's someone coming. And it's the same on a zebra crossing, a driver can get 3 points and a fine for failing to stop, because it's a legal requirement, not a courtesy.

Stop teaching drivers the belief that they've done you a favour by complying with the law.

By all means continue to be nice to people who have done you a courtesy. Driver spots you standing at the kerb, and stops to wave you across? Give that driver a nice thank you wave, because they didn't have to. In other situations above, you shouldn't be waving, and equally you shouldn't be abused for not waving.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Trying to address the balance that's all.
Do you think you did?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
That's different. You're being courteous. It's not the rules.
Red light. Stop. It's not optional.
I can only speak from recent experience in Oban but a red light at three separate locations always stops traffic and I have never seen that abused. These are pedestrian crossings only.

It's alright saying "we should be civil / nice to each other", that's a perfectly fine maxim across most aspects of life, and I get it. Just not in a situation where one party will be breaking the law if they don't stop for the other. It's not being "courteous" to stop at a red light, it's the law, and you wouldn't say thanks to someone for doing that. It's not a "courtesy" to stop at a give way when there's someone coming. And it's the same on a zebra crossing, a driver can get 3 points and a fine for failing to stop, because it's a legal requirement, not a courtesy.

Stop teaching drivers the belief that they've done you a favour by complying with the law.

By all means continue to be nice to people who have done you a courtesy. Driver spots you standing at the kerb, and stops to wave you across? Give that driver a nice thank you wave, because they didn't have to. In other situations above, you shouldn't be waving, and equally you shouldn't be abused for not waving.
Maybe the bigger issue should be more enforcement of the law and campaigns to increase adherence at pedestrian stops. Wave or not to wave is not material in the scheme of things.

400ixl

Whether it is the rules or courtesy, positive re-enforcement is rarely a bad thing. So I am one of the people who will acknowledge people doing the right thing whether they are compelled to or not.

Not sure why anyone would want a world where people want to discourage such actions.

Not showing recognition is going to drive more negative outcomes than doing so IMO.

Gillstay

Über Member
Since it is only mandatory for a motorist to stop at a Zebra Crossing once a pedestrian has stepped foot on to the crossing, it is perhaps not without merit to acknowledge the driver if they stop before hand.
This is only recognising one side of the interaction . Drivers should be prepared to slow or even stop and a few do the opposite !

Slick

Guru
I can only speak from recent experience in Oban but a red light at three separate locations always stops traffic and I have never seen that abused. These are pedestrian crossings only.
I've driven all over Argyll over many years but having spent some time south of our border over tge past 7 or 8 years I've come to realise that whilst we do still have issues and problems up here, it is a very different ball game down there. :eek:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
This is only recognising one side of the interaction . Drivers should be prepared to slow or even stop and a few do the opposite !
In the OP, it suggests it is law for a motorist to stop. It is only law once a pedestrian has made way onto the crossing. Yes the highway code makes suggestion that the motorist should slow and even stop but it isn't a legal requirement to do so and since stopping is optional, I am suggesting that acknowledgement isn't without merit. But there is no legal requirement to do that either, so do what you want....

Top Bottom