Thanking Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The person who stopped for you is one of the good guys. Doesn't he get a nod? It wouldn't cost you anything.
It would because it would reinforce the idea that "he" had a choice whether or not to and that basic driving competence deserves grovelling from other users. I'll thank ones who go beyond the law but I'm not sure how they do that at a mandatory crossing.

This whole discussion is farked up. We should be discussing how to get more of the lethal scofflaws punished, not whether to bow and scrape to those who do the minimum.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Sorry, I don't understand that.
You suggested that if a driver were to thank me for waiting at the kerb, it would constitute a 'reward' for 'good manners', so why is it not a 'reward' for a driver to be thanked for stopping at a crossing?

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Saw this Tweet this morning from an entertaining account which basically Tweets anonymous opinions submitted via a Google form.

View: https://twitter.com/anon_opin/status/1433805745108226051?s=20

It's a hard agree from me.

I saw that tweet and my favourite reply was this....

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It would because it would reinforce the idea that "he" had a choice whether or not to and that basic driving competence deserves grovelling from other users. I'll thank ones who go beyond the law but I'm not sure how they do that at a mandatory crossing.

This whole discussion is farked up. We should be discussing how to get more of the lethal scofflaws punished, not whether to bow and scrape to those who do the minimum.
"Grovelling" ? "Bow and scrape" ?
Maybe you should try get this into some kind of perspective inside your head.

Anyway, I'm going on a quick ten mile ride to scowl at all those evil motorists. Pip pip!

I wave - ok a very small wave - as a sort of thank you

I also thank bus drivers when I get of in spite of the fact that it is literally their job to stop if I want to get off

I also thank people who wait for me to pass when they side of the road is obstructed by e.g. parked cars - even though they are supposed to wait

When I was a teacher I once had a pupil who got me a thank you present after she passed he exams
only once though - in about 15 years
If a teacher wants present they have to be a class teacher in Primary - Secondary pupils don;t give gifts
apparently

Anyway - saying thank you costs nothing

Oh - just remembered - when you get one of those traffic calming things on the road where one direction has right of way (they are often either side of a village with residents on the Council) if a car stops to wait when I am approaching , then I wave "thank you" even though it is my right of way.

Maybe I was brain washed as a kid

Punkawallah

Über Member
Giving recognition to someone doing the right thing gets a ‘thumbs up’ from me. Carrot & stick and all that.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I wave - ok a very small wave - as a sort of thank you

I also thank bus drivers when I get of in spite of the fact that it is literally their job to stop if I want to get off

I also thank people who wait for me to pass when they side of the road is obstructed by e.g. parked cars - even though they are supposed to wait

Anyway - saying thank you costs nothing

Oh - just remembered - when you get one of those traffic calming things on the road where one direction has right of way (they are often either side of a village with residents on the Council) if a car stops to wait when I am approaching , then I wave "thank you" even though it is my right of way.

Maybe I was brain washed as a kid

Me too. Removed the bit about teaching, because, I wasn't a teacher ;)

Giving recognition to someone doing the right thing gets a ‘thumbs up’ from me. Carrot & stick and all that.

+1

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I want drivers to feel good about doing the right thing. Then they’ll do it again. Does it make the driver think they don’t have to do it? I don’t know. But I want to recognise good behaviours when I’m the vulnerable user. I want the narrative to be “I stopped for this cyclist” (say in passing place in single track) and “They thanked me as they passed. Such a nice polite person”. Then when they have a mate who rants about bloody cyclists there will be one more driver who says “Hang on minute, that’s not true..,”

Zebra crossings when on foot. Not so much.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm pretty sure that using a public road is a social activity so I try to keep it as friendly as possible and keep the road as far away from being a hostile environment as I can. So I'll acknowledge drivers who stop at zebras to let me cross and, when driving, I'll thank drivers for waiting at passing places. I particularly like flashing buses to let them out because the drivers usually hit their hazards by way of thanks or give a thumbs up out of the cab window. This is a bit like the road equivalent of liking others' posts or enjoying the likes I get.

Are you people for real?

Who gives a s**t, wave, don't wave, flash your ar*e at them if it makes you feel better!

Twitter has a lot to answer for if petty cr*p like this is important to you.

Top Bottom