That briefest of moments......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Last winter I fell off the Tricross on black ice a few yards from where the Preston Guildwheel crosses the busy A6. Crossed the road feeling sheepish, remounted and fell off again, the other way, five yards further on. How my son and our friend laughed!

Managed to sand and polish out the damage to one shifter but haven't done the other side yet:

20131228_184534_zpseccc519a.jpg

20131228_192845_zpsde0d8246.jpg

Last edited:

potsy

Rambler
Yes but, I remember him hitting a car not long ago. I think it was a write off!!!
Armoured one too I heard ^_^

To be serious, glad you are ok danbo, I have yet to experience the 'joy' of losing it due to ice, all of my falls have been mud or human error related, usually when I'm out with @400bhp :whistle:

It always happens so quickly anyway so not sure how much quicker it would be on ice.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Same f*cking stretch of path too. I've stuck to the roads since...

Not the Town Moor is it? Like riding on glass.

D

Deleted member 1258

I remember very many years ago dropping it in the middle of a group on a patch of black ice. I'd already had a hairy moment riding to the meet point, I came to a halt on a hill with the back wheel still spinning round and I had to put a foot down or I'd fallen over. A couple of miles into the ride I went down and it was one of those one moment I was on the bike next moment I was chewing tarmac falls, as I lay there I heard these strange pinging sounds, when I unstrapped myself and climbed to my feet I found out what they were, I'd brought the rider next to me down with me and the pinging noises was his small change bouncing down the road, fortunately the bikes weren't damaged and we only had a few scrapes and bruises.

SamR

Rider on the Lancastrian storm
I've not had any ice-induced falls yet, apart from one which you could sort of call an ice fall, where my chain snapped climbing up a slightly icy hill in winter. I suddenly found myself sliding back down the hill on my right hip.
I had a very embarrassing fall recently, where I accelerated out of a junction to put some distance between me and a car coverging from another road. The issue arose when my shoe came unclipped, which unbalanced me and sent me heading towards a kerb, which I then proceeded to fly over to land on a grassy verge, only a few inches away from a rather solid looking bench. The kerb totalled my brand new front wheel but earnt me the respect of a few of the local kids who somehow saw it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That quiet moment between disembarking the bike and hands forward, thinking...this is gonna hurt
I had that on my MTB once when my front wheel jammed in a rut and launched me over the bars, but somehow I landed on my feet and just ran down the hill away from my bike! :becool:

I did it another time and faceplanted ...

... in a big muddy puddle which was surrounded by huge boulders! It was the one place I could land that was not going to damage me.

Reactions: gbb

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I had that on my MTB once when my front wheel jammed in a rut and launched me over the bars, but somehow I landed on my feet and just ran down the hill away from my bike! :becool:

I did it another time and faceplanted ...

... in a big muddy puddle which was surrounded by huge boulders! It was the one place I could land that was not going to damage me.
I had a similar tumble tootling over Blackstone Edge moor going to watch the TdF a tuft of grass hiding a nasty little hole that sent me off into a brackish puddle and raked my calf with my pedal.

Top Bottom