That is not the way to do it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I was in going through town in my car this morning, with two cyclists in full gear in front of me. We came to a set of traffic lights which turned red with us having plenty of time to stop. These two cyclists just went straight through! I know nothing was coming on the other side but that is not the way to do it. Red means stop no matter what. Besides, it also gives you a chance for a breather. These twoguys are a disgrace to cycling and should be reprimanded.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My Most Annoying Ride Ever from Paddington to Kings Crustacean went roughly like this :-
Pedal pedal pedal past Slow Person on squeaky MTB and stop at red lights.
SP on MTB goes past and through red lights.
Lights go green.
Pedal pedal pedal past SP on MTB and SARL.
SP on MTB goes past...
And so on. Grrr.
I honestly wished for a laser cannon powered by AAs and a dynohub. Or at least a hand-launched squeak-seeking missile.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
. Red means stop no matter what. Besides, it also gives you a chance for a breather. .

I work with a bloke who when in the car stops at the lights just outside work, just like everyone else, but on the days he comes on the bike just rides through on Red, and cannot see anything wrong with it .

Reactions: 4F

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
As in life , if your an idiot day to day , then that transfers to when your riding a bike, so once a knobber always a knobber , so no real shock people ride through red lights.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Soon you'll be telling us that bears shoot in the woods and expect us to be surprised.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSYzSccuKF6YNke3fVcIHJUVG3q3ao7Sb3GzhEzWeXsEDboNRI.jpg

redcard

Veteran
I get the feeling this thread is another bash at cyclists with expensive bikes and kit.

Its obvious the OP was on a mountain bike, or worse, a hybrid, and was topless, wearing union Jack shorts.

Dan J B

Happens all the time in Chichester. I was slowing for a red light at a pedestrian crossing. Road bike cyclist is approaching from the other direction giving me a nod hello as he blatantly crosses on Red. Needless to say I did not say hello back! No idea why cyclists think they can break the law!

Dan

swansonj

Guru
The other week I was driving my daughter to a rehearsal (12 miles - teenage daughter - trombone - that's my excuse for driving). A guy on a bike was getting a fair move on, 20 mph up a slight gradient. Being a cyclist even when I'm driving, I settled in behind him through several traffic islands and some bends, ostentatiously not overtaking when most drivers would do, giving him plenty of room, etc. When we got to a wide straight bit (and with a pleasing queue behind me by now) I overtook, making a point of going right over into the other carriageway. I carried on my way with a glowing feeling of having done my little bit to redress the balance between cyclists and motorists ... stopped at a red light half a mile further on ... and b**** me but he steamed past me and straight through the red light. Completely spoilt my good mood.

Top Bottom