That reminds me -Top Gear last Sunday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Foghat said:
That was a banging riff that Richard Hammond knocked out on the bass, too. Didn't realise he knew what he was doing with a bass guitar in his hands......

They did a skit for comic relief a couple of years back - Hammond on guitar, May on keyboards (he's properly musically trained) and Clarkson on drums. I can;t remember what they played, but they were moderately competent I think.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
It was a cracking episode - I was in stitches for most of it, especially the RR section.

I'm not into cars in the slightest, but then the show's really just an excuse for grown men to do some very, very silly things. It's like Last of The Summer Wine with a younger cast :blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
goo_mason said:
It was a cracking episode - I was in stitches for most of it, especially the RR section.

I'm not into cars in the slightest, but then the show's really just an excuse for grown men to do some very, very silly things. It's like Last of The Summer Wine with a younger cast :blush:

I'd never thought of that, but you're spot on!:laugh:

I have a cycling friend who isn't remotely into cars, can't drive even, and he reckons it's just a really good comedy programme.

macp

Guru
I also laughed out loud at the 3 wheeler segment.Have always enjoyed TG for pretty much all of the reasons given by Mason although I am a self confessed petrolhead.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I once saw a BBC exec quoted: 'People seem to have the idea Top Gear is a motoring programme. It's not. It's a programme about three middle aged blokes behaving like kids and having a great time. That's what makes it so popular.'

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Arch said:
They did a skit for comic relief a couple of years back - Hammond on guitar, May on keyboards (he's properly musically trained) and Clarkson on drums. I can;t remember what they played, but they were moderately competent I think.

I had no idea.

Davidc

Guru
I find cars totally boring but enjoy some bits of TG.

The RR thing was hilarious, and for once I agreed with Clarkson - about the need for a helmet and full body harness. (Even with that I wouldn't get in one).

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Davidc said:
I find cars totally boring but enjoy some bits of TG.

The RR thing was hilarious, and for once I agreed with Clarkson - about the need for a helmet and full body harness. (Even with that I wouldn't get in one).
Rubbish.

The car overturned because that's what JC was trying to make it do. I like Top Gear, but I found this episode a bit limp.

Arch

Married to Night Train
So, what would be the perfect episode?

I'd do without the star in a reasonably priced car myself, unless it was someone I particularly liked. And the supercar stuff.

I loved the lorry driving bit, when they raced with stuff in the back, and Clarkson's caught fire. And the Mini ski jumping in the winter olympic episode. And crossing the channel in the amphibious cars, esp when the narrowboat campervan sank and the thermos bobbed past. And the faked safety tests on the electric car.

When I eventually get digital, I'm going to be watching a lot of Dave.

montage

God Almighty
Smokin Joe said:
Rubbish.

The car overturned because that's what JC was trying to make it do. I like Top Gear, but I found this episode a bit limp.

Oh it is heavily engineered, nobody is doubting that. You have to see them as actors - they promise entertainment, and they give it

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Smokin Joe said:
Rubbish.

I've driven a 3-wheeler Reliant before, and they aren't that difficult to turn on their side. It was a driving day at Northampton Wheels Raceway, and the cars were modified with external bars to protect the bodywork, but putting them on two wheels is scarily easy, and we were warned against going too fast, 'cos then they would definitely roll. No - I didn't stick it on the door handles, but did tip it on to the external bars.

Arch said:
So, what would be the perfect episode?

I'd do without the star in a reasonably priced car myself, unless it was someone I particularly liked. And the supercar stuff.

I loved the lorry driving bit, when they raced with stuff in the back, and Clarkson's caught fire. And the Mini ski jumping in the winter olympic episode. And crossing the channel in the amphibious cars, esp when the narrowboat campervan sank and the thermos bobbed past. And the faked safety tests on the electric car.

When I eventually get digital, I'm going to be watching a lot of Dave.

I like the challenges best of all - the three that spring to mind; driving to the north pole, the car/boats, and crossing Africa, were just fantastic from start to finish.
My kids (two girls) love the programme and watch it on Dave.

Clarkson is a bit boring when he just thashes around the airfield making the tyres smoke.

Arch - going digital could be free if as loads of people have old digiboxes they now do not need as they have built in. But on the down side it could cost a fair bit if you need to upgrade your aerial. Cost me £100+ and I did it all myself. So worth sorting out before you spend out on a digi TV.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
The challenge I loved was the Space Shuttle also based on the Robin. Funniest thing I've seen on TG for years. Vid clip is 18:49 so a little long.

Also reminds me of being on the train to Cardiff from Doncaster in the late 70's. As we approached the Midlands we went close to the Reliant factory. And like all car plants had lots of cars outside parked up. Bodies and finished cars. A group of old ladies near me spotted them and one said loudly. "You'd think they's all rust wouldn't you".

Top Bottom