That reminds me -Top Gear last Sunday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark barker

BrumJim said:
I've driven a 3-wheeler Reliant before, and they aren't that difficult to turn on their side. It was a driving day at Northampton Wheels Raceway, and the cars were modified with external bars to protect the bodywork, but putting them on two wheels is scarily easy, and we were warned against going too fast, 'cos then they would definitely roll. No - I didn't stick it on the door handles, but did tip it on to the external bars.
Nonsense! I've driven over 30k miles in various 3 wheelers, and as long as you drive them as 3 wheelers they're not that unstable. If you drive them in the same way that you'd drive a mini, then sure you'll have some "moments". When I tipped mine over I was driving like a complete t!t and if it'd been any other rear wheel drive car I'd have lost control way before!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I'll bet any amount of money that Robin wasn't standard! It would have been modified so it could turn over exactly on cue. Some of the instances when it flipped over were hardly extreme. I think there must have been some air rams at play as well as reinforcing of the doors as they were remarkably unscathed at the end.

I think the whole improvised and ad-libbed feel to the program is a testament to the skill of the the writers, producers and stunt crews who must practice over and over to get that 'off the cuff' feel just right.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
There was an internal roll-cage built into the car, which offered good protection.

And no, it doesn't take that much to roll one, as per the above poster. Just drive it like it's a Mini and you are trying to squeal the wheels (i.e. being a bit of a tit).

rh100

guitarpete247 said:
The challenge I loved was the Space Shuttle also based on the Robin. Funniest thing I've seen on TG for years. Vid clip is 18:49 so a little long.

Also reminds me of being on the train to Cardiff from Doncaster in the late 70's. As we approached the Midlands we went close to the Reliant factory. And like all car plants had lots of cars outside parked up. Bodies and finished cars. A group of old ladies near me spotted them and one said loudly. "You'd think they's all rust wouldn't you".

Reminds me of the one where they raced a steam train from south to north, with Clarkson on the footplate IIRC.

I always think the production and especially the camera work is excellent, some stunning images on the cut scenes.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Tim Bennet. said:
I think the whole improvised and ad-libbed feel to the program is a testament to the skill of the the writers, producers and stunt crews who must practice over and over to get that 'off the cuff' feel just right.

I seem to remember it won an award in the US for "best unscripted programme", which Clarkson didn't go and pick because, so he said, he was "working on his script".

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
One other thing about TG...they do somehow manage, in this health & safety culture, to maintain a definite edginess...I'm thinking the trip to the south pole, where you did think once or twice, 'if that ice breaks'...the recent trip way up in the mountains, where JC was edging past a lorry on a crumbling road...even James May's tyres catching fire on the volcano....oh, and driving through the deep south with 'MAN LOVE' painted on the side in pink...

How many programmes have put a presenter in intensive care?

Bad Company

Very Old Person
[quote name='swee'pea99']How many programmes have put a presenter in intensive care?[/QUOTE]

Fifth gear. When Tom Ford crashed a Bedford Rascal van.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']

How many programmes have put a presenter in intensive care?[/QUOTE]
Noel Edmonds went one better.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Smokin Joe said:
Noel Edmonds went one better.

Then he went off the air for a while:sad:.

At least TG put the presenters at risk not unsuspecting, none payed, members of the public who only want their 15 minutes of fame to give the host a cheap show.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Over The Hill said:
I like the challenges best of all - the three that spring to mind; driving to the north pole, the car/boats, and crossing Africa, were just fantastic from start to finish.
My kids (two girls) love the programme and watch it on Dave.

Clarkson is a bit boring when he just thashes around the airfield making the tyres smoke.

Arch - going digital could be free if as loads of people have old digiboxes they now do not need as they have built in. But on the down side it could cost a fair bit if you need to upgrade your aerial. Cost me £100+ and I did it all myself. So worth sorting out before you spend out on a digi TV.

How could I forget Africa! I especially loved that because of Oliver the Opel Cadet. It was not long after my nephew Oliver had been born, and the attachment between Hammond and his Oliver, and me and this new baby somehow gelled.

Cheers for the digibox tip. Part of the reason I'm holding off is that I'm currently on B/W, so the licence would cost more anyway. The aerial I hope isn't an issue, as I'm in a rented flat, so it would involve getting the landlord to sort it - and a three storey building to boot. I'm also partly bloody minded - don't see much reason to get rid of a telly that works, and vaguely hoping to be the last B/W owner when they turn off analogue....:rolleyes:

shippers

I think the best episode was crossing he channel, but also loved the lorry driver bit last series- "change gear, change gear, change gear, murder a prostitute, change gear..."
It's just so wrong!

Bayerd

Über Member
Arch said:
How could I forget Africa! I especially loved that because of Oliver the Opel Cadet. It was not long after my nephew Oliver had been born, and the attachment between Hammond and his Oliver, and me and this new baby somehow gelled.

Cheers for the digibox tip. Part of the reason I'm holding off is that I'm currently on B/W, so the licence would cost more anyway. The aerial I hope isn't an issue, as I'm in a rented flat, so it would involve getting the landlord to sort it - and a three storey building to boot. I'm also partly bloody minded - don't see much reason to get rid of a telly that works, and vaguely hoping to be the last B/W owner when they turn off analogue....:blush:

I'm pretty sure a digibox would work with a B/W telly.

Back on topic..

I also laughed hard at the Reliant part in the programme and thought it was one of the best TGs in a while. Here's hoping the rest of the series will be as good.

Top Bottom