That there London...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This past Wednesday, I had to drive my wife to a medical procedure in Cleveland Street, W1. Quite a distance from Tavistock. Journey in, uneventful. However, the timing of things meant that we left bang on 5pm. Oh dear.
OK, rush hour is always bad. Everyone wants to get home. There was some egregiously bad driving. But it paled into insignificance against the lunacy of, seemingly, every cyclist we saw. RLJing was entirely the norm. Slalom around still or moving traffic with millimetres to spare. Only slightly better were scooter couriers, also well into RLJing.
Of course, almost every road user bar me was entirely used to this.
It was a relief to get out onto the Westway where the cyclists were segregated. And going much faster than us, lucky them.
I come from the London area originally, so the whole idea of this wasn't totally foreign, but the scale of it was staggering.
I was also left to my own devices for three hours or so in between times, so wandered off to get some food.
Many many illegal electric mopeds, easily outstripping the general motorised traffic.
All in all, very illuminating. And quite frightening.

vickster

Legendary Member
This past Wednesday, I had to drive my wife to a medical procedure in Cleveland Street, W1. Quite a distance from Tavistock. Journey in, uneventful. However, the timing of things meant that we left bang on 5pm. Oh dear.
OK, rush hour is always bad. Everyone wants to get home. There was some egregiously bad driving. But it paled into insignificance against the lunacy of, seemingly, every cyclist we saw. RLJing was entirely the norm. Slalom around still or moving traffic with millimetres to spare. Only slightly better were scooter couriers, also well into RLJing.
Of course, almost every road user bar me was entirely used to this.
It was a relief to get out onto the Westway where the cyclists were segregated. And going much faster than us, lucky them.
I come from the London area originally, so the whole idea of this wasn't totally foreign, but the scale of it was staggering.
I was also left to my own devices for three hours or so in between times, so wandered off to get some food.
Many many illegal electric mopeds, easily outstripping the general motorised traffic.
All in all, very illuminating. And quite frightening.
Mopeds or scooters? Electric mopeds aren’t illegal assuming they had a licence plate, insurance and a helmet.
If scooters, I think there might now be legal hire ones in London?
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/electric-scooter-rental-trial#on-this-page-1

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Bicycles with no plates, moving without pedal assist. Scooter reference was meaning standard motor scooters. Only saw a couple of d e-scooters, they were outstripping the traffic quite handily too.
de-restricted electric bikes are very popular with delivery riders. At least less polluting than petrol mopeds :okay:

Dolorous Edd

As a local farmer commented to me some years ago - "London, it's all green light, isn't it?"
"What do you mean?", I asked
"Go, go, go"

Brandane

Legendary Member
OP confirms I made a good decision a month or so back, when I turned down a job offer.... Driving an artic 4 days on/4 days off for a company based in Southern Scotland. Day 1 ..... drive south. Days 2 and 3 ... deliveries/collections in and around London. Day 4 .... drive north.
Two days of stress and frustration trying to navigate my way round London, all for Scottish rates of pay? Errrm, thanks but NO thanks!

Most people would visit Cleveland Street for the PO Tower, but in common with so many London streets, almost every building has a rich history.

Among other things the street was home to a gay brothel which caused a scandal when discovered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Street,_London
champion divert there pale rider :smile:
On DC's point, london cyclist here - I agree with the drift of your post - I find london cyclists more of a problem for me than the car drivers as a rule - some right idiots out there. Have spent a few weeks away at times and on getting back on the bike in london they often make me damn nervous for a while. I was out in central london last night (without bike) and saw some jerk on a major road on an electric skateboard with no lighting at all.

Why anyone would ever want to drive a car into central London is beyond me when the train and taxi would be a more enjoyable relaxing but maybe longer journey.
Because no choice if the patient can't walk far, and trains /tube/taxis far outstrip the cost of driving to a nearby car park, even allowing for that cost plus congestion plus ULEZ. Maybe if more mobile and a solo journey... Otherwise, unless your pockets are very deep, no.
Also a very short notice appointment, so no way to reduce the train fares.

Top Bottom