That there London...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK then, how about 'I expect few of those kamikaze cyclists have any idea of the rich history they are passing with almost every pedal stroke.'

I've always thought London is a grand place provided you are neither poor nor in a hurry.

Too many Londoners are both.
it was the gay brothel story I was referring to pale rider :smile:

purpan

I lived and worked in London for ten years, and always commuted in (Fleet Street area, so central) by bike. I never found it too pushy. admittedly, that’s a good few years ago, but I’d be surprised if it’s changed at a different rate to anywhere else.
Anyway, it’s a brilliant city. The most inspiring and friendliest place I ever lived in Britain.

sasquath

I lived and worked in London for ten years, and always commuted in (Fleet Street area, so central) by bike. I never found it too pushy. admittedly, that’s a good few years ago, but I’d be surprised if it’s changed at a different rate to anywhere else.
Anyway, it’s a brilliant city. The most inspiring and friendliest place I ever lived in Britain.
First thing that comes to my mind is suffocating diesel fumes and unbearable crowds of lemmings staring at the screens...
Move away from the "City" and you can add one massive traffic jam, garbage everywhere and most alleys stinking of urine and/or vomit...
That's how I will always remember my 5 years living and working in Greater London. Would not come back to working/living there for 6 digit salary, 7 digit, maybe for a year or two then f off to retire in countryside.

It takes time to ride London and enjoy it. As for driving it is way off the charts during peak. Trains, tubes and bikes are fine. You just to be careful of fixies, pedestrians and tourists on Boris bikes.

presta

Guru
RLJing was entirely the norm. Slalom around still or moving traffic with millimetres to spare.
Each time you have to stop you waste all your kinetic energy heating the brakes, energy that then has to be replaced by your leg muscles when you set off again. What puzzles me is why I seem to be the only cyclist who can see the obvious increase in effort from stop-start cycling when you enter built up areas and heavy traffic, even stopping just 16 times a mile from 12mph doubles your energy consumption. It doesn't surprise me at all that people who never get the chance to ride outside a built up area get hacked off with repeated stopping.

First thing that comes to my mind is suffocating diesel fumes and unbearable crowds of lemmings staring at the screens...
Move away from the "City" and you can add one massive traffic jam,
I live just off the south circular (well up a hill off it) - couldn't be quieter. Traffic/buses moves pretty well in london these days, at least south of the river. Congestion zone and lots of bus lanes - a foreign visitor with a dad in the bus trade commented on how things moved.

mustang1

Guru
This past Wednesday, I had to drive my wife to a medical procedure in Cleveland Street, W1. Quite a distance from Tavistock. Journey in, uneventful. However, the timing of things meant that we left bang on 5pm. Oh dear.
OK, rush hour is always bad. Everyone wants to get home. There was some egregiously bad driving. But it paled into insignificance against the lunacy of, seemingly, every cyclist we saw. RLJing was entirely the norm. Slalom around still or moving traffic with millimetres to spare. Only slightly better were scooter couriers, also well into RLJing.
Of course, almost every road user bar me was entirely used to this.
It was a relief to get out onto the Westway where the cyclists were segregated. And going much faster than us, lucky them.
I come from the London area originally, so the whole idea of this wasn't totally foreign, but the scale of it was staggering.
I was also left to my own devices for three hours or so in between times, so wandered off to get some food.
Many many illegal electric mopeds, easily outstripping the general motorised traffic.
All in all, very illuminating. And quite frightening.
I love London! It's crazy if you're not used to it. Stay away from the tubes! There are many cyclists who RLJ but there are even more who do not.

tinywheels

Über Member
trains aren't crowded in london outside peak hours at all - frequency to die for compared to some parts of the north. and better trains.
mmmm I travelled in at 12.14 this sat, it was rammed. Standing only from sevenoaks. Tubed it from London Bridge to piccadilly circus, rammed again, Standing all the way.
Soho full to bursting, pubs,cafes and restaurants etc all full. Had to wait for a table at Ion. Ate,drank and saw Jack White,drank some more. Returned home,tube,and train rammed again. Maybe it's just me!

sasquath

mmmm I travelled in at 12.14 this sat, it was rammed. Standing only from sevenoaks. Tubed it from London Bridge to piccadilly circus, rammed again, Standing all the way.
Soho full to bursting, pubs,cafes and restaurants etc all full. Had to wait for a table at Ion. Ate,drank and saw Jack White,drank some more. Returned home,tube,and train rammed again. Maybe it's just me!
Tuesday - Thursday c2c is jammed full in peak times, worse than pre covid as there is less trains. Mondays and Fridays only couple of standing people.

Top Bottom