That's keen cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The roads are very wet here this morning and it is drizzling: yet, I saw a few cyclists, all dressed in lycra, going for a ride. They must be dedicated! You won't see me on my bike in this weather. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be nice, so that's when I will go for a ride , dry roads and dry weather, that's my kind of cycling.

Last edited:

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
The roads are very wet here this morning and it is drizzling yet, I saw a few cyclists, all dressed in lycra, going for a ride. They must be dedicated! You won't see me on my bike in this weather. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be nice, so that's when I will go for a ride , dry roads and dry weather, that's my kind of cycling.
Rain? What's that? Could you send some to the rest of Wales please?

mgs315

Roll on winter when nearly every club ride is a wet club ride.

Ones that aren’t are usually snowy club rides!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Rain? What's that? Could you send some to the rest of Wales please?
No, he can keep it.

Listen, the rain hasn't died or emigrated. It's just taking a little vacation and when it comes back all to soon we'll have floods of the bloody stuff.

Enjoy the sun and the heat while it's here, before too long it will be just a distant memory.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I did a 50 mile ride last Sunday in light rain. Not something I do often, and was soon reminded why. Despite wearing a supposedly good quality Gore bike wear jacket, my top half was soaking wet. Probably much of it was sweat rather than the rain getting in from the collar, as I have yet to find a truly "breathable AND waterproof" jacket (even big heavy motorbike jackets with Goretex will leak after a few hours of rain).
Bottom half of me was wet but that's not a problem - but my legs were filthy from the crap off the roads. As for the bike - covered in dirt and grit which can't be doing much for the lifespan of moving parts and braking surfaces. So the bike and everything I was wearing (including jacket - in expensive Techwash of course) had to be washed.
Nope, you can stick your rain where the sun doesn't shine. Cycling in that crap, or in dry conditions? It's night and day.

Yes, people have short memories.like the freezing snowy Winter we endured, snow on my birthday in late March followed by plenty of rain in the early part of Spring.This may well be the longest, driest and warmest weather (here in the Midlands) anyway that i can remember since '76 so a 42 year wait for a decent Summer aint asking too much is it?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I did a 50 mile ride last Sunday in light rain. Not something I do often, and was soon reminded why. ......…... my legs were filthy from the crap off the roads. As for the bike - covered in dirt and grit which can't be doing much for the lifespan of moving parts and braking surfaces. So the bike and everything I was wearing (including jacket - in expensive Techwash of course) had to be washed..

Are you one of these Roadies who doesn't believe in mudguards, or buys bikes that don't have enough clearance for mudguards? I don't enjoy riding bikes in the wet either, but my Pioneer and Raleigh MTB have full mudguards and I don't get absolutely plastered with filth. Its just the hack MTB that makes me filthy as it is guard-less. Reminds me I've got a set of cheapo MTB indestructible plastic guards that I really ought to fit.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Are you one of these Roadies who doesn't believe in mudguards, or buys bikes that don't have enough clearance for mudguards? I don't enjoy riding bikes in the wet either, but my Pioneer and Raleigh MTB have full mudguards and I don't get absolutely plastered with filth. Its just the hack MTB that makes me filthy as it is guard-less. Reminds me I've got a set of cheapo MTB indestructible plastic guards that I really ought to fit.
Errrm, no, I was on my Genesis Croix de Fer with mudguards fitted.
Having said that, I can be a roadie at times, when the weather is nice I sometimes ride my Merida Ride 4000.
Or a tourer - on a Ridgeback Panorama.
And a MTB'er on my Trek MTB....

See, we don't all fit into wee pigeon holes when it comes to cycling....

Top Bottom