That's that dangerous junction sorted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Never discount sheer doziness or blindness. My life nearly ended early when, the night before I was due to start my present job in 1988, my friend who was driving us simply failed to see the very prominent Stop signs, realised too late so carried on and we shot across the busy A59 at Menwith Hill. Everybody in the car gasped and Dave said: "Hmmm.... I think it's time I got some glasses!"

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Never discount sheer doziness or blindness. My life nearly ended early when, the night before I was due to start my present job in 1988, my friend who was driving us simply failed to see the very prominent Stop signs, realised too late so carried on and we shot across the busy A59 at Menwith Hill. Everybody in the car gasped and Dave said: "Hmmm.... I think it's time I got some glasses!"
... and everyone else got new underpants.

DRHysted

Guru
Sorry, I just get really cynical about organisations that exist to interfere and raise a spider's web of complications and objections but aren't proactive- they are the millstones that drag people and the planning system down.
Don’t be sorry these people are the ones that brought in the cycling restrictions and will not consider releasing them.
They tried to stop the Highways Agency from improving and widening the shared cycle path between Ashurst and Lyndhurst on the A35, until HAs lawyer’s found the original agreement from when they were permitted to fence the road back in 1963 (I think that’s the right date).

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
No replying to that picture posted by @glasgowcyclist :wacko:

This thread is about a problem junction with high approach speeds, so I posted that picture of the typical chicane barriers that are deployed on cycle routes on a whim as a satirical solution to the danger posed by drivers.

So, when you asked:
How would they stop Motorbike access ?

... that didn’t make sense to me but I was aware of another thread titled Stopping Motorcycles and thought you might have been referring to that.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ironic thing is, if there'd been several cases of horses being hit by cars at that junction you can bet New Forest Council would have done something by now (sadly, I'm being quite serious). As things stand, sooner or later another cyclist is going to be killed or seriously injured there, probably a visitor to the forest as most of us who use that route regularly are aware of the danger.
Oh aye, if Jack the Ripper and Saddam Hussein were knocked doff their horses the New forest council would be up in arms, but if Colonel Tom were knocked off his Rudge they wouldn't give a proverbial.

DRHysted

Guru
Oh aye, if Jack the Ripper and Saddam Hussein were knocked doff their horses the New forest council would be up in arms, but if Colonel Tom were knocked off his Rudge they wouldn't give a proverbial.
We have approximately 80 pony deaths a year within the gridded confines of the New Forest.
The NFDC can be up in arms as much as they want, to work within the NF isn’t easy.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Ipley crossroads in the New Forest is an accident black spot due to the road layout causing a blind spot on the approach from the minor sides and 90% of drivers ignoring the stop signs. . . . it needs to be made staggered
So as I understand it, the revised layout for the crossroads (make one leg into a T junction) has been agreed/approved by the Verderers and needs to get an NPA 'stamp' before work can start. Is that right? (or @DRHysted )

DRHysted

Guru
So as I understand it, the revised layout for the crossroads (make one leg into a T junction) has been agreed/approved by the Verderers and needs to get an NPA 'stamp' before work can start. Is that right? (or @DRHysted )
Unfortunately not, at present best case scenario is work may start next July.
One of the local parishes has raised a last minute objection and asked for the possibility of a roundabout to be considered. A roundabout was considered by the engineers and dismissed as not being suitable for many reasons. Unfortunately because an objection has been raised it must be researched, if this is done quickly the best hope of work starting will be when the ground nesting birds will be using the area, hence waiting til the blighters have flown away which is end of July.
Any thing to do with the New Forest is an absolute ball ache.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Why on earth can't the objection (saying a roundabout would be better) be acknowledged but rejected on the basis that It had been properly considered (aka 'researched') and a less good option (for the various reasons in the papers)?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Why on earth can't the objection (saying a roundabout would be better) be acknowledged but rejected on the basis that It had been properly considered (aka 'researched') and a less good option (for the various reasons in the papers)?
It's possible that the Highways Agency's permanent diversion order which would be required to be agreed, in tandem but separate to the planning application, has been compromised by the objection. Until an objection to a diversion of a highway, bridleway or footpath, which affects eithe the line and/or level, is either negotiated away to the satisfaction of the injector, or the objection withdrawn by the objector, it will be refused.

DRHysted

Guru

Not too sure of the full details as I’m getting my information from a local councillor (a very active one I must add).
Problem is there are soo many organisations that operate in the New Forest getting anything done takes a lot of work and patience. My sister used to work for the Forestry Commission, she regularly referred to it as banging a head against a brick wall.

snorri

Legendary Member
Yep, but thousands do stop - this proves it's a driving issue, not an architectural one. It's a reflection on the poor state of our nations road users. I've driven it myself on may occasions and had no problems, but I am careful and competent.
It ain't the junction leaping up and killing people - its car drivers and, as aforementioned, the junction is such that the usually careless idiots don't have the margin for error they usually rely upon. You can bet they'd slow right bloody quick if a speed camera appeared there.
I agree with every word you say, but in any other industry where a series of similar accidents has occurred, they don't just blame the operatives, they make physical changes to ensure there is no recurrence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom