The £5k commuter club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sixmile

Sixmile

Veteran
70 miles to the office, and 70 miles back again (driving, not cycling). Usually three days a week, sometimes four. This week one :-) This is the longest my commute has been and it's pretty draining. It's about 1:45 each way on average.

Fair play to you, I couldn't do it. Then again, you must be getting well reimbursed for the hassle :okay:

My bike cost £5000, does that count?

Unlike those folk who spend £5000 on train journeys, least you'll be able to get some of that back after a year or two if you sell it!

MichaelO

Veteran
I have a 20 mile commute into London - 80-90min cycle, or a 35min train journey (an hour door-to-door).

There are people who work here that commute from Birmingham, Bristol & well into East Anglia. I know there were MANY people who were glad when the interest/tax-free loan to buy a season ticket increased from £5k to £10k a few years ago!

midlife

Guru
I have a 20 mile commute into London - 80-90min cycle, or a 35min train journey (an hour door-to-door).

There are people who work here that commute from Birmingham, Bristol & well into East Anglia. I know there were MANY people who were glad when the interest/tax-free loan to buy a season ticket increased from £5k to £10k a few years ago!

Do your company run a loan scheme for season tickets?

steverob

Guru
Not quite at £5K yet, but getting closer - this year it was £4,440 for an annual Aylesbury to London season ticket, including the Underground, which means it'll be roughly £4,600 next year then. I didn't actually pay that though, choosing this year to instead buy tickets every 4-6 weeks or so around my annual leave dates (so I'm not paying for trains while I'm on holiday) and it ended up working out very slightly cheaper - by about £8! Plus it's easier to spread the cost that way.

My commute is just under two hours each way - 25 minute walk from home to the station, 1 hour on the train to London, 25 minutes on the Underground, 5 minutes further walk to work. Yes, I would love to go back to the days when I could walk to work in just 15 minutes (something I got to do for 14 years), but my industry has more well paying jobs in London than anywhere else, so I just have to suck it up for now.

MichaelO

Veteran
Do your company run a loan scheme for season tickets?
Yes (as have every other London based company I've worked for). It's interest free (if the loan is less than £10k - used to be £5k) and you pay it back monthly through payroll. Only way a lot of people can afford to pay for season tickets.

You have to give proof of buying the ticket though ;)

Venod

Eh up
When I was on the tools I lived 3 miles from base, but most of the time I was working at various Power Stations away from base, I was paid travel time and petrol money, we used to share cars but everybody got the expenses it was quite lucrative, when I moved into an office based job I moved house to within a mile of work so walked most days or combined it with a long detour of a cycle ride, so I have never paid much to get to work.

Drago

Legendary Member
I remember when I was with the ex Wife. I once did a bit of O/T for the dibble in 2003(?) When there was some kind of prison industrial action and prison prisoners were being kept in police cells. Mileage claim on a 5379cc engine was extremely lucrative!

Tin Pot

Guru
I totally understand the upset, but I do think that the principle of living far from your workplace, by choice, and then complaining about the cost of getting there is somewhat amusing.

Oh but we don't have a choice, the newspapers cry. Yeah. This isn't North Korea.

steverob

Guru
I totally understand the upset, but I do think that the principle of living far from your workplace, by choice, and then complaining about the cost of getting there is somewhat amusing.

Oh but we don't have a choice, the newspapers cry. Yeah. This isn't North Korea.

Yes, I do "choose" to live far away from my work. But if I wanted to move even just a few miles closer, it would cost about three times more in terms of increased monthly mortgage payments than I would save though a cheaper season ticket price, and the closer I get to London the more stark that differential would become. I live where I live because on balance, I can afford it - just. Plus family are nearby, though sometimes I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing!

The alternative is that someone starts making well paying jobs (caveat: that I am capable of doing) available in my home town again instead of putting them all in the City, but I think that ship has long since sailed.

Tin Pot

Guru
Yes, I do "choose" to live far away from my work. But if I wanted to move even just a few miles closer, it would cost about three times more in terms of increased monthly mortgage payments than I would save though a cheaper season ticket price, and the closer I get to London the more stark that differential would become. I live where I live because on balance, I can afford it - just. Plus family are nearby, though sometimes I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing!

The alternative is that someone starts making well paying jobs (caveat: that I am capable of doing) available in my home town again instead of putting them all in the City, but I think that ship has long since sailed.

Yep.

Or they/we could get over the concept of needing people on site. I think the telephone was invented about a hundred years ago...

steverob

Guru
Yep.

Or they/we could get over the concept of needing people on site. I think the telephone was invented about a hundred years ago...

Totally agree. I could probably do at least 60% of my job remotely. But my client likes bums on seats unfortunately (as do many others in my line of work) and it seems that the pace of change is somewhat glacial!

Top Bottom