The £5k commuter club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I used to do MK to London commute five days a week. Stopped it 7 years ago and changed career. It think the season ticket then was about 3.7k so it's gone up quite a bit. Well, over 200 quid a year. I now drive 50 miles round trip five days a week which is a ball ache but darn sight cheaper.
Driving is only cheaper if your time is worthless (unless the train or bus is so crowded you can't do anything). At least cycling or walking is good exercise.

rossw46

Some girl on Facebook local to me was ranting about the circa £4K / year she pays for parking and tube, as well as the delays/strikes etc... I am so glad that I'm not in her position, I cycle most days, or drive on the odd rest day, and my commute is never delayed/late. I appreciate not everyone is able to do this, even more so given the lack of cycling infrastructure from Essex / Hertfordshire south into the smoke, but it does give me a nice warm feeling inside not paying that £4K.

Drago

Legendary Member
Instead of ranting they could just not do it. Of course, they'd rant even louder if they couldn't find anything else and starved instead.

They should either stop whittling, or do something about it.

straas

Matt
£180/year on secure locking & shower facilities, maybe a further £100/year on bike maintenance.

so £280/year

- £280/year for gym membership = £0

Top Bottom