The £5k commuter club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
For 7 years (2005 2012) I got the train from Rugby to Birmingham. The journey time was 1 hour door to door. The cost of travel went from c£800 in the first year to nearly £1500 by year 7.

I now live 2.1 miles away from work, and have done so for the last 5 years. I have realised that time is more important than the cost, and I would never consider anything more that 1 hour door to door.

OP
OP
Sixmile

Sixmile

Veteran
I wonder how many airbnb nights you can get in London for 2 people paying 10k?

In London? Probably about 6 nights in a shared room.

Tin Pot

Guru
I've had a few european job offers. Flights and accommodation easily over £100/week.

Flights alone maybe near the £100/week mark.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
My bike cost £5000, does that count?
When I saw the title of the thread, I thought "that's an expensive bike for commuting" :laugh: , but thinking about it, my ti (which I now use 90% of the time) would probably cost about £2.5k to replace, so I'm heading in that direction
I'm 16 miles from work, public transport isn't an option due to the very limited service we have & my shifts, so its a mix of driving or cycling for me. Some months I spend less than £50 in fuel, but more than that on cycling goodies :okay:

Simontm

Veteran
Had to look it up. 1-6 would cost £2,248 a year. Monthly is £215.90.
The journey take just under an hour.
I cycle 32 miles a day and traffic/traffic lights depending takes me 50minutes to an hour.
New job doesn't have facilities so I joined H2 and its bike hub. Lock up, showers and towels and a large locker costs £69.99 a month. For a day locker that's £49.99.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
[QUOTE 4925370, member: 259"]I did a commute to NL for a couple of years. It was totally knackering though.[/QUOTE]

Not something I would entertain ever again. In the end I moved for a year, but then came back. Apart from than, in over 20 years my longest commute has been 15 minutes door to door.

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably 16 miles and an hour each way!
Well I assumed too but it wasn't clear. Maybe his new job is as pro pedaller

AndyCh

Über Member
I commuted from London to Hong Kong for over a year, out on a Monday, arrive Tuesday, in Asia for 10 days and back to London the following Friday, stay at home for the weekend and back out again on the Monday. Lots of travelling within Asia during those 10 days too.

That was more than £5k per fortnight, but was a bit extreme and not really ideal on a long term basis. Good fun though!

Top Bottom