The 2016 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Well, that's the century ride done!

After a miserably wet (7.30) start the weather gradually cleared and became very pleasant later.

@Katherine rode past me shortly after the start while I was standing at the side of the road trying to text my wife, I eventually caught up with her and we rode together for about 15 miles until she stopped for a coffee at Anderton while I carried on.

The ride was uneventful for me apart from some confusion around the 50 mile mark where the road was closed because of an accident. Luckily a friendly local was on hand to direct us to an alternative route which got us back on the course at Nantwich.

Although I had been apprehensive about the distance, not having ridden more than 60 miles before, I found it easier than expected and actually was faster over the last 50 miles than the first, no stiffness today either. I also ignored all the mumbo jumbo that's talked about nutrition and ate only a banana and 2 flapjacks plus a mackerel pate sandwich that my wife had brought to the halfway point at Nantwich. No funny drinks either, just a litre of tap water.

I'm glad I've done it, especially as I raised a few £s for the Christie, but 7 plus hours is a long time in the saddle and nowhere near as much fun as my usual average of 3 hours. I doubt I'll do another ride this long.

:bravo: Well done, you'll do another eventually and the second one will be much easier as you now know you can do it.

Katherine

Guru
Right, I've updated the challenge thread. I still need to write it up in the 'Your Ride Today' thread.
Still feeling chuffed for doing the hundred with an average speed of 14.1 mph and my thighs are recovering!

kapelmuur

Veteran
Right, I've updated the challenge thread. I still need to write it up in the 'Your Ride Today' thread.
Still feeling chuffed for doing the hundred with an average speed of 14.1 mph and my thighs are recovering!

Have you ridden since Sunday? I had my first post 100 ride this morning (34 miles). Very heavy legs for the first hour but improved a lot as the ride progressed.

I even got some Strava PRs through Tatton Park while imagining that I was Ian Stannard powering through to his Tour of Britain stage win!

Katherine

Guru
Have you ridden since Sunday? I had my first post 100 ride this morning (34 miles). Very heavy legs for the first hour but improved a lot as the ride progressed.

I even got some Strava PRs through Tatton Park while imagining that I was Ian Stannard powering through to his Tour of Britain stage win!

Well done, that's good. I've not ridden yet!! But today I could actually squat down with the children in Nursery without my thighs complaining. I've been resting my legs because I have a hilly ride coming up on Sunday, it's a 50 miler from Chorlton around Macclesfield plus the 9 miles each way to the start. There is a lunch stop to look forward to though.

kapelmuur

Veteran
Well done, that's good. I've not ridden yet!! But today I could actually squat down with the children in Nursery without my thighs complaining. I've been resting my legs because I have a hilly ride coming up on Sunday, it's a 50 miler from Chorlton around Macclesfield plus the 9 miles each way to the start. There is a lunch stop to look forward to though.
Wizard Hill, Brickworks, Cat & Fiddle?

Katherine

Guru
Wizard Hill, Brickworks, Cat & Fiddle?
Not sure, this is the notice for it:

Chorlton Wanderers
Yesterday at 12:36 ·

Hello Young (at heart) Cyclers, Wherever You Are - it's the Tour de Macc this Sunday, Sep11th.
This is fairly energetic - 50 miles and some steep hills, but it is very scenic and there's a nice friendly pub just before the really steep climb - walking perfectly OK.
Be at Chorlton Water Park at 10 am for a 10.15 start. All the usual stuff, working bike, waterproofs, positive mental attitude.
See y'all there.
Rob

... So I'll let you know when I get back.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I'm sure that as a result of this challenge I am indeed more likely to do a 50km, rather than the shorter rides I was doing a year or so ago. And so I have now devised a ride with lots of little Suffolk rises in it for my weekly daily (hopefully) trash and it comes out at 50.12km. :smile: Let's hope the points begin to accrue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom