The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
Yesterday - followed the NCN73 then the NCN7 to Lochwinnoch. Stopped at the cafe - nice coffee, even nicer cake. Then onto some back roads - which were hillier than I remembered - towards Kilmacolm. Picked up the NCN75 there as far as Johnstone, where I jumped on a train home, about 55k in total.

Today it was forecast for “fine early, wet and windy later”. I left about 9 - along the coast to Largs (very flat) for 20k, making good time, then up the Brisbane Glen road. If I’d just been doing it to get a “50”, I’d have turned back half way up, at 25 - but pushed ahead.There’s a cafe up at the top, and I needed a coffee, a bite to eat, and a “comfort stop”.

It’s a bit of a slog up to the top - about 300m climb. Once over the top, it was great - the roads (single track moor road) have recently been resurfaced. Several other bikes out, no cars, and the next few minutes were coasting down to Loch Thom, up above Greenock. Dry and calm.

Stopped at the Greenock Cut/Cornalees visitor centre to use the facilities after 36k. There’s a cafe there too, but nothing special - I used it once, and wouldn’t go back. The better cafe is across the road at the trout fishery - nice coffee, bacon roll... Had a chat with the guy working there - “What time do you open?” “Usually 8 weekdays, 9 Sundays”, he says, “and we close at....whatever. Sometimes we’re open all night.” It’s the office for the trout fishery, they’ll stay open as long as there are people fishing.

Came out 20 mins later - and the weather had completely changed. The “calm drizzle” had turned into a howling gale - in my face, of course. And stinging rain.

A 15 minute climb up to the top, then the descent down to Largs. About 10 km, dropping about 300m. Normally it’s a fast descent - you barely have to pedal - but today there was a gale in my face, heavy rain, roads very wet and very muddy - so a bit slippy.

By the time I reached Largs, I had done over 50k, was soaked through, and wasn’t looking forward to the 20k home along the coast - it’s exposed all the way, and the wind directly in my face. Thought about jumping on a train. However, one had just left, the next one wasn’t for an hour. And I hadn’t lifted my wallet - just had a few coins. Did I have enough for a train ticket? Checked the cost - £4.30. Pulled the coins out my pocket - about a fiver. Then I realised that one of the “pound coins” was actually a Euro....

Biked home. It was a slow end to the trip, 72k in total.

Last edited:

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Bit of a foul up today on an audax. Despite the presence of the route card, and having the course on my edge 200, I still managed to get hopelessly lost on part 2 of the ride. Totally due to my ineptitude with the Garmin. I eventually gave up on the route, but still clocked up more than the designed route distance. Still, it was a nice day, it was around the Cotswolds so very scenic, and who cares anyway!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I got a 50 miler in yesterday. It was going to be 50km but I was still angry after a random comment from the man I am kind of seeing (seemed like a plan at the time, distraction from getting separated after years of boredom beyond belief). To begin with, I was mildly annoyed, then actually quite upset and then - having chatted with friends - actually bloody angry.

Anyway, I cleared off up to Woodhall Spa with a vague route in mind. One I had done before, I didn't fancy the roads much today and thought I would ride the River Trail (tarmac surface, mostly) and see how it goes. I got to Bardney, still peeved off. I had slept on my irritation and was still in a snit. I thought that I'd push on towards Lincoln. I got to Fiskerton and caught up with a chap on a lovely Dawes Galaxy and rode to the car park at Lincoln with him. We chatted for a bit with a young couple as they fixed the lady's pedal. Looking for tools, I found a wrapped biscuit in my saddlebag that I had forgotten about. Bit of a result as I'd forgotten proper money or to take food as I wasn't going that far.
I decided to ride back, get off the trail at Fiskerton and head back by road. That didn't quite work and I missed the turning due to not paying attention and watching something up ahead. I rode through Bardney instead of turning up towards Gautby and heading towards Minting and then to Baumber. I ended up towards Southray and got back on the trail to Woodhall Spa and back home via the back road, which I like. Through Old Woodhall. I did a little extra just in case I came in short.

Nice ride, hoping to get another good ride in this week. Work is so dull that only riding is saving my sanity at the moment.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Weather looks good tomorrow, so I`m going to have crack at doing a 100 km ride in the morning for the 100 km challenge and a 50 km evening ride for the 50 km challenge. The morning 100 km ride will be a nice and easy solo spin, but the evening 50 km will be a group ride averaging 19/20+ mph :wacko:

Lets see how my little legs cope :laugh:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Weather looks good tomorrow, so I`m going to have crack at doing a 100 km ride in the morning for the 100 km challenge and a 50 km evening ride for the 50 km challenge. The morning 100 km ride will be a nice and easy solo spin, but the evening 50 km will be a group ride averaging 19/20+ mph :wacko:

Lets see how my little legs cope :laugh:

Well, I did it :smile:. I probably went a bit too fast on the 100 km ride, but I`ll put that down to the great conditions and the flat route. The evening ride with the lads was ok until fatigue set in around 10 or so miles from the end and I was blowing out me arse :laugh: .

1x100 km & 1x50 km challenge ride bagged in one day
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Quick 38 miles or so, this afternoon, in the wind. I let my Garmin pick the route and it picked one that I'd worked out for myself in the past. A couple of new roads to ride on but nothing really to write home about. I seemed to be pushing through the wind most of the time but the last 6 miles or so, home were nice with that tail wind.
More tea and then out with the dog.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Bagged this months qualifying ride today with a run out to Otley, the cycling capital of Yorkshire - glad to get it in the bag after last weekends failed attempt. :okay:
Quite a bit of climbing today too, which makes a change for me lately.

I should have more time for long rides - management are 'forcing' me into early retirement and I'm currently suspended.

Can't give a 'like' for that, but I hope it works out OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom