The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I should have more time for long rides - management are 'forcing' me into early retirement and I'm currently suspended.

Would like to like that, but I know the management want me to retire, but would then complain that I am out on my bike again.

Bazzer

Today's ride was one of those where things actually came together. Left the house (literally) directionless and demotivated.
Woke up at 2.30am wanting going to ride to the moors with the though that I could see the meteor shower in darker skies and a 4 hour ride later would be home having completed a ride and before the rest of the family woke up. But a little voice said Mrs B wouldn't be too chuffed waking up in the middle of the night and seeing an empty space where I should be lying; so went back to sleep and left the house at 6.30, when it was cold, nothing to see and feeling quite frankly peeved. :sad:
Even when I reached the end of the road, I was undecided as to whether to turn left or right, but whichever way, a route hadn't been chosen.
Chose left and a mile or so later was feeling a little better and a previously unridden circular route was mentally put together, with the thought of a 50 miler, with a break point to (possibly) make it a 50km if the demotivation thoughts persisted. Although I had no idea if the planned route would be 30, 40, 50, 60 (or anythng in between) miles.
With some minor modifications, as part of the route was unknown other than the town/village names, there was sense of satisfaction that I hit 49.5 miles shortly from home and a local loop later crossed the 50 mile.
Going to record that in my cycling logbook as a route to remember :thumbsup: and make a note to self to put a computer with maps on my Dec 25 wish list.

aferris2

Guru
Another ride for August. This time I'm in Jersey. What a wonderful place! Beautiful countryside and not one dodgy overtake or pull out from a junction. Every time a thank you when I waved someone past. Didn't seem to matter whether i was on main roads or narrow country lanes, all the Jersey drivers behaved perfectly. There was one silly move - car slowing right down in front of me without giving any indication, then sped up just as i was going to overtake. That car had a GB plate though...

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Wasn't sure what sort of ride I'd have today - after popping out into the garden, it was the first for a long while with knee warmers on and I stopped after half a mile to put my windproof jacket on as well.

Are we sure it's still August..? :wacko:

Anyway, the horrible headwind put paid to plans and I finished off with a 21 mile circuit - oddly not feeling like I got any benefit from a tail wind on my way back. So no qualifying ride today.
Tomorrow looks potentially better, so I'll see what the morning brings.

I've half hatched a plan next time it's this windy to ride down to the station and get a train somewhere I can ride all the way back with a tail wind. Watch this space...;)

Effyb4

Veteran
Wasn't sure what sort of ride I'd have today - after popping out into the garden, it was the first for a long while with knee warmers on and I stopped after half a mile to put my windproof jacket on as well.

Are we sure it's still August..? :wacko:

Anyway, the horrible headwind put paid to plans and I finished off with a 21 mile circuit - oddly not feeling like I got any benefit from a tail wind on my way back. So no qualifying ride today.
Tomorrow looks potentially better, so I'll see what the morning brings.

I've half hatched a plan next time it's this windy to ride down to the station and get a train somewhere I can ride all the way back with a tail wind. Watch this space...;)

We cheated today and rode with a tailwind to Southend and then got the train home. It wasn't long enough for a qualifying ride though. Maybe tomorrow

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
We cheated today and rode with a tailwind to Southend and then got the train home. It wasn't long enough for a qualifying ride though. Maybe tomorrow

I don't blame you. ^_^

I've worked out that if I cycle down into Leeds (5 miles), get a train to Ilkley (£5.00) and then cycle back from there the scenic way across the river via Askwith, Otley and Farnley (28 miles) that will give me 33 miles, with the wind behind me virtually all the way from Ilkley :okay:

13 rider

Guru
I don't blame you. ^_^

I've worked out that if I cycle down into Leeds (5 miles), get a train to Ilkley (£5.00) and then cycle back from there the scenic way across the river via Askwith, Otley and Farnley (28 miles) that will give me 33 miles, with the wind behind me virtually all the way from Ilkley :okay:
Not sure I can let this cheating of the wind stand :okay:. It's not like I've cycled from Leicester to Lincoln following the prevailing wind then caught a train back :whistle: for an Imperial ton .
Fill your boots using the train also extends your range for some new roads

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Set off this morning with no plan other than to head towards Aberford - which on a Sunday often means circling back through Garforth for a cheeky 25km loop that I've been working on getting round in under an hour for a while (although it hasn't happened yet - curse those pesky hills...).

Anyway, I was enjoying myself so much that I kept adding bits on and before I knew it I'd got another metric half in the bag. What a good do. :okay:

Bazzer

Up in Grange for a day or two. Cracking ride to Wilf's in Staveley for a light lunch.
Came out of Staveley into a strong headwind. 20 miles of headwind with added drizzle was not expected after the glorious morning.
Feeling very tired now, please tell me it's doing me good.
Root treatment to look forward to in the morning.

It's doing you good ^_^
On a more serious note, as much as a bastard head winds can be, I try to mentally zone out in them and think it is benefiting my legs so try to push just as hard. (Unless of course my legs feel like the proverbial dead parrot, in which case I find swearing helps) :laugh:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Evening everyone.
Today I broke my 100km cherry. I've done 98 (officially) then ridden another 8km home again, but never in one hit. I had a 50 mile route in the Garmin, from Home to Sibsey (16 miles, so I went the pretty route via the coast). I went off trail a couple of times to see what was there and when I got to Sibsey, I stopped for a cuppa at the ex-Hubster's place, along with a bun that he'd thoughtfully bought me and then did another 12 miles to make up a 101km ride.
My bum hurts. Is this normal? will I ever get to have sex again or is that now all a thing of the past now I've sat on a bike saddle for over 4 hours :ohmy::girl:
I have had a bath now and still in pain :laugh:. As long as I can walk tomorrow and make sense at an interview, it's all good.

Oh, the seaside! I coudn't see the see as the road stops and there is a walking path for 1/4 of a mile and I just CBA about going there.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Evening everyone.
Today I broke my 100km cherry. I've done 98 (officially) then ridden another 8km home again, but never in one hit. I had a 50 mile route in the Garmin, from Home to Sibsey (16 miles, so I went the pretty route via the coast). I went off trail a couple of times to see what was there and when I got to Sibsey, I stopped for a cuppa at the ex-Hubster's place, along with a bun that he'd thoughtfully bought me and then did another 12 miles to make up a 101km ride.
My bum hurts. Is this normal? will I ever get to have sex again or is that now all a thing of the past now I've sat on a bike saddle for over 4 hours :ohmy::girl:
I have had a bath now and still in pain :laugh:. As long as I can walk tomorrow and make sense at an interview, it's all good.

Oh, the seaside! I coudn't see the see as the road stops and there is a walking path for 1/4 of a mile and I just CBA about going there.

Well done you :bravo:

That`s a fantastic milestone :highfive:

Bazzer

Evening everyone.

Well done. :highfive: It gives an enormous sense of personal satisfaction in breaking one of the barriers.:okay:

Having had a quick look at your rides, you have done quite a jump from your usual rides, so your future sex life is now wrecked. ;)On the positive side, you can look forward to next weekend, knowing your legs can do another 100k.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom