The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seems like Autumn is bringing some 'eventful' rides. Sunday's ride got punctuated by 3 fairy visits, wind, rain and general hassles. Lovely route but only made 77km before I ran out of tubes. Close inspection afterwards revealed half a dozen nasty slivers of flint in various stages of concealment, I reckon I wouldn't have made it back with a bag full of inners!

gavgav

Guru
I'm jealous, I promised my Dad I'd get up there this year (via Asterton Bank), he passed away soon after...still calling me daft!
Sorry to hear about your Dad. I lost my Mum 3 years ago and appreciate the pain you are going through. Perhaps you could do Asterton Bank in his memory, when you feel up to it......That's one heck of a climb though!! I took the High Park route, one of the "easier" one's

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Out today on my NEW BIKE :bicycle:
IMG_1159.JPG

New to me anyway. I've changed the pedals from the rat-traps that were on and had a bit of a fettle here and there (forgot to move the saddle forward :banghead:) Changed the Vittoria tyre to a Gatorskin and have put the Vittoria somewhere sensible. Changed the no-name thin tyre for another Gatorskin and put the thin tyre in the bin. Fixed the P in the innertube, properly, but put a new inner in the new tyre.

I just went out for a quick 5 mile pootle so didn't bother with a bottle cage (or bottle), or a snack. I just cleared off up the Boston Road and then turned towards the back route to Boston and thought that I'd whip through Mareham Le Fen and head back. However, the bike and my legs had other ideas. Before I knew it (I was not party to this decision, I swear) I was heading through Tumby, found a road where I had an 'ooh I wonder where that goes' moment - the main road as it turned out - turned back on myself a bit to take the New York road and then Eventually Dogdyke and Coningsby.
Now, there is an excellent bike shop in Coningsby called Cleveland Cycles. I bobbed in to ask if I could have the borrow of a couple of allen keys and one of the staff came out and fettled my seat a bit for me. It was a bit low and my knee was letting me know this, in no uncertain times. He thought that my new bike was a cracker. Asked how much I paid, so I told him and he said that it was lovely. Commented on how light it is too. We figured that the saddle would do, at it's new height, and off I pedalled after thanking him very much.

I decided that the pretty route home was the way to go, might as well make a half century. I was already soaked to the skin, but the sun had come out and I was steaming, gently. After a mile or so, it was clear that the saddle was 1/4'' too high but such is life. It's also way too far back but totally sortable.
Long way home was a mistake. By Woodhall Spa my bum and lady bits were having a major argument with the horrible 1980s saddle. It was howling it down and I was more drenched than a drenched thing. Cold and pretty dang fed up with the whole cycling malarkey actually. By Thornton, I was mostly out of the saddle, due to the pain, and wondering if I would ever be able to have sex again. By the time I was home I was pretty sure that my 'getting laid' days were well and truly over. 53.8km on my nice bike. Still called PeeBee (Purple Bike) but might be changed to Mr Purple or something as my ride buddy says that PB is his initials. I totally hadn't twigged that. I could suggest that he change his name but feel that may be frowned upon.

I have had lunch and had 2 massive mugs of hot chocolate. I've dried off and defrosted. I feel there is scope to maybe have sex, sometime in the next 6 or 7 months. Come back my lovely Selle Italia. I love you so much :wub:

13 rider

Guru
Out today on my NEW BIKE :bicycle:
View attachment 373793

New to me anyway. I've changed the pedals from the rat-traps that were on and had a bit of a fettle here and there (forgot to move the saddle forward :banghead:) Changed the Vittoria tyre to a Gatorskin and have put the Vittoria somewhere sensible. Changed the no-name thin tyre for another Gatorskin and put the thin tyre in the bin. Fixed the P in the innertube, properly, but put a new inner in the new tyre.

I just went out for a quick 5 mile pootle so didn't bother with a bottle cage (or bottle), or a snack. I just cleared off up the Boston Road and then turned towards the back route to Boston and thought that I'd whip through Mareham Le Fen and head back. However, the bike and my legs had other ideas. Before I knew it (I was not party to this decision, I swear) I was heading through Tumby, found a road where I had an 'ooh I wonder where that goes' moment - the main road as it turned out - turned back on myself a bit to take the New York road and then Eventually Dogdyke and Coningsby.
Now, there is an excellent bike shop in Coningsby called Cleveland Cycles. I bobbed in to ask if I could have the borrow of a couple of allen keys and one of the staff came out and fettled my seat a bit for me. It was a bit low and my knee was letting me know this, in no uncertain times. He thought that my new bike was a cracker. Asked how much I paid, so I told him and he said that it was lovely. Commented on how light it is too. We figured that the saddle would do, at it's new height, and off I pedalled after thanking him very much.

I decided that the pretty route home was the way to go, might as well make a half century. I was already soaked to the skin, but the sun had come out and I was steaming, gently. After a mile or so, it was clear that the saddle was 1/4'' too high but such is life. It's also way too far back but totally sortable.
Long way home was a mistake. By Woodhall Spa my bum and lady bits were having a major argument with the horrible 1980s saddle. It was howling it down and I was more drenched than a drenched thing. Cold and pretty dang fed up with the whole cycling malarkey actually. By Thornton, I was mostly out of the saddle, due to the pain, and wondering if I would ever be able to have sex again. By the time I was home I was pretty sure that my 'getting laid' days were well and truly over. 53.8km on my nice bike. Still called PeeBee (Purple Bike) but might be changed to Mr Purple or something as my ride buddy says that PB is his initials. I totally hadn't twigged that. I could suggest that he change his name but feel that may be frowned upon.

I have had lunch and had 2 massive mugs of hot chocolate. I've dried off and defrosted. I feel there is scope to maybe have sex, sometime in the next 6 or 7 months. Come back my lovely Selle Italia. I love you so much :wub:
Nice you wouldn't get up many Cornish hills with those gears . Looks like a big chain ring

Saluki

Nice you wouldn't get up many Cornish hills with those gears . Looks like a big chain ring
It is. I noticed that on some of the 1% long old drags that we have around these parts. I had to go to little ring, twice! On the flat :ohmy:

52/42 is what I just counted. Not sure what my compact is to compare. 8 speed cassette 26/13

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
It is. I noticed that on some of the 1% long old drags that we have around these parts. I had to go to little ring, twice! On the flat :ohmy:

52/42 is what I just counted. Not sure what my compact is to compare. 8 speed cassette 26/13
Standard compact is 50/34 so a chunk bigger but probally the right gearing were you are now with no steep hills to worry about

Saluki

Standard compact is 50/34 so a chunk bigger but probally the right gearing were you are now with no steep hills to worry about
Have you ever ridden in the Lincolnshire Wolds? Curious minds need know. It's a smidge lumpy there. I have to go to 2nd gear on one hill, on my way to work. In my car, I mean. There are plenty of 15% + hills nearby, should I chose to look for them. I've stayed flat for the last couple of evenings though.

13 rider

Guru
Have you ever ridden in the Lincolnshire Wolds? Curious minds need know. It's a smidge lumpy there. I have to go to 2nd gear on one hill, on my way to work. In my car, I mean. There are plenty of 15% + hills nearby, should I chose to look for them. I've stayed flat for the last couple of evenings though.
Have riden to Lincoln 3 times from Leicester and done abit around the area and I know it's not plan flat but you can avoid most of the hills :okay: unlike Cornwall . I'm quite tempted by a sportive that goes up the cobbled steep hill in Lincoln but I'm a bit mad :rolleyes: and does a lot of the wolds and has 4000ft of climbing so not flat

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Couldn't you go South around Spalding, Holbeach etc., or is that a bit far? Flatter round there IIRC. Get your legs a little more used to that chain ring. :thumbsup:

The Wolds are pretty hilly.....I remember finding a 15% hill laden with luggage on tour last year. Need to ride to Binbrooke sometime!

@13 rider, I believe that's called Steep Hill!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oops - I just realised that I haven't posted a ride in this challenge this month yet and am busy until the 25th so I will have to get stuck in when I get back. I don't want to make one of my longer rides shorter (to be counted in this challenge rather than the metric century one) so I will make the effort to make a shorter ride longer!

Oh, it is the Scarborough forum ride on the 30th ... I will have to do a 50 km ride between the 26th and 29th then.

GuyBoden

Guru
My sincere apologies, I've not done a 50km challenge ride since May, I've been double counting my 100km challenge rides to stay in this challenge. Hopefully in the Winter months I'll do a few 50km rides again. :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom