The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have been to Norwich today. I took PeeBee, my new Steel bike. Seen here on Wroxham foot bridge over the river.
IMG_1179.JPG

I just love this bike, I really do.
I was up until gone midnight, taking that hated San Marco Rolls saddle off. The bolt was rusted solid and I had to take a hacksaw and a large hammer to it in the end. It seemed to do the trick anyway. I cleaned up the rails on the S.M. Rolls and gave the leather a bit of a clean up with some saddle soap, which I have laying about. That is going to go and live with @BottomCrank. I believe his backside is a whole lot more suited to horrible 80s style saddles than mine is. The reviews say that it's a great saddle. My bum has other ideas about it, altogether.
I put the Selle Italia Lady Flow, from my PX Pro Carbon on. It's not like I was planning on a long ride this morning and anything over 30 miles on that saddle can be painful actually. It was great, then it wasn't for some reason.

Anyway. I parked up at New Costessey, put the wheel on the bike, faffed endlessly with the mudguard until it stopped rubbing. No sooner did I start than the mudguard rubbed again. I fixed it, started again. Fixed the mudguard again. Rinse and repeat until I was very fed up so bent the mudguard a bit. No rubbing. Result.
I went up to Drayton (small hill, flew up it) and across to Horsford. Bit of a difference in road layout as they are building the N.D.R., which, as far as I can ascertain, stands for Norfolk Daft Route. Nobody seems to want it and half the countryside is laid waste to the building of the thing. Off up to St Faiths and on to Horstead where I took a pic of PeeBee, the steel roadie, at the mill and texted it to the aforementioned @BottomCrank (who is rebuilding his Raleigh Road Ace and will I take his newly taped bars to him, and the saddle. Oh, while I'm at it can he borrow a spoke key). Then off to Coltishall, another pic and another text. Away then to Wroxham, see above. We were unimpressed with Wroxham at 9.30am. Already full of blooming grockles and not even once ice cream shop open. Bike was miffed so we moved on to Salhouse broad for a photo, past woodfords brewary and on to Ranworth. Another pic, up the hill and back to Norwich via the Plumsteads, a detour for the NDR building, a dog-leg through the Heartsease Estate, Mousehold and skirted the inner ring road to Marriotts Way and back to the car.
42.4 miles done. 14.something mph so happy with that.

Chatted with a nice chap on a Dawes Galaxy, out with his work chum (all the gear, no idea) and not best please about it. ATGNI was very dismissive about being overtaken by "some bird on a bloody aluminium bike". I put him right. Firstly I am not a bird, I am a woman. Secondly it's Reynolds tubing not aluminium. Thirdly, it's not 'bloody', it's lovely. You have been overtaken by a nice fit woman on a very delightful vintage steel road bike. Galaxy man thought this was hilarious. Seems he didn't want to be out with his work chum at all but promised in a rash moment and had to make good on it.

In case anyone is wondering about the blue bandage on my seatpost. It's an old bit of rim tape, wound around so that my lights will fit. The seat post is too narrow for that rear light and I was in a hurry.
I adore this bike. Even though I don't have such a big cassette on him, he's fun on hills. I can get up and honk so much more easily than on the PXs. He's brilliant to ride, really comfy and doesn't do anything daft in a tight corner. I can see PeeBee )Purple Bike, being my go-to bike of choice from here on it. He's much more fun and nice to ride than my carbon roadie.

The Bystander

Über Member
On the 23rd September last year I rode 50km and have done so at least once each month since.
I can't award myself a star for the challenge 'till the deed is done in December but I have awarded myself 2 points in this challenge by riding my first 50 miles today.
I hadn't intended to, I wasn't even sure if I'd tick off another 50km but I was about 25 miles in and decided to take a slightly wider loop home. I'd clocked up 40 miles by the time I reached a junction at which a left turn would get me home in under 5 miles or a right turn would get me home in 10. I turned right.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I have been to Norwich today. I took PeeBee, my new Steel bike. Seen here on Wroxham foot bridge over the river.
View attachment 375069
I just love this bike, I really do.
I was up until gone midnight, taking that hated San Marco Rolls saddle off. The bolt was rusted solid and I had to take a hacksaw and a large hammer to it in the end. It seemed to do the trick anyway. I cleaned up the rails on the S.M. Rolls and gave the leather a bit of a clean up with some saddle soap, which I have laying about. That is going to go and live with @BottomCrank. I believe his backside is a whole lot more suited to horrible 80s style saddles than mine is. The reviews say that it's a great saddle. My bum has other ideas about it, altogether.
I put the Selle Italia Lady Flow, from my PX Pro Carbon on. It's not like I was planning on a long ride this morning and anything over 30 miles on that saddle can be painful actually. It was great, then it wasn't for some reason.

Anyway. I parked up at New Costessey, put the wheel on the bike, faffed endlessly with the mudguard until it stopped rubbing. No sooner did I start than the mudguard rubbed again. I fixed it, started again. Fixed the mudguard again. Rinse and repeat until I was very fed up so bent the mudguard a bit. No rubbing. Result.
I went up to Drayton (small hill, flew up it) and across to Horsford. Bit of a difference in road layout as they are building the N.D.R., which, as far as I can ascertain, stands for Norfolk Daft Route. Nobody seems to want it and half the countryside is laid waste to the building of the thing. Off up to St Faiths and on to Horstead where I took a pic of PeeBee, the steel roadie, at the mill and texted it to the aforementioned @BottomCrank (who is rebuilding his Raleigh Road Ace and will I take his newly taped bars to him, and the saddle. Oh, while I'm at it can he borrow a spoke key). Then off to Coltishall, another pic and another text. Away then to Wroxham, see above. We were unimpressed with Wroxham at 9.30am. Already full of blooming grockles and not even once ice cream shop open. Bike was miffed so we moved on to Salhouse broad for a photo, past woodfords brewary and on to Ranworth. Another pic, up the hill and back to Norwich via the Plumsteads, a detour for the NDR building, a dog-leg through the Heartsease Estate, Mousehold and skirted the inner ring road to Marriotts Way and back to the car.
42.4 miles done. 14.something mph so happy with that.

Chatted with a nice chap on a Dawes Galaxy, out with his work chum (all the gear, no idea) and not best please about it. ATGNI was very dismissive about being overtaken by "some bird on a bloody aluminium bike". I put him right. Firstly I am not a bird, I am a woman. Secondly it's Reynolds tubing not aluminium. Thirdly, it's not 'bloody', it's lovely. You have been overtaken by a nice fit woman on a very delightful vintage steel road bike. Galaxy man thought this was hilarious. Seems he didn't want to be out with his work chum at all but promised in a rash moment and had to make good on it.

In case anyone is wondering about the blue bandage on my seatpost. It's an old bit of rim tape, wound around so that my lights will fit. The seat post is too narrow for that rear light and I was in a hurry.
I adore this bike. Even though I don't have such a big cassette on him, he's fun on hills. I can get up and honk so much more easily than on the PXs. He's brilliant to ride, really comfy and doesn't do anything daft in a tight corner. I can see PeeBee )Purple Bike, being my go-to bike of choice from here on it. He's much more fun and nice to ride than my carbon roadie.

Sounds like that "tingle" you get in a new relationship. ^_^

1 weekend to go and it's only a 1 dayer don't leave it till Sunday . We have 30 riders fully posted up . We have lost :sad: @HertzvanRental whos undergone hip replacement so get well soon . That leaves @ColinJ ,@steveindenmark ,@Renmurew ,@CanucksTraveller and @wicker man yet to post . So time to :bicycle: and get it posted . Well done everyone
Thank you. The evil act takes place this coming Saturday, so hopefully, I shall be fit enough to have another bash in the new year!!

iandg

Legendary Member
1 weekend to go and it's only a 1 dayer don't leave it till Sunday . We have 30 riders fully posted up . We have lost :sad: @HertzvanRental whos undergone hip replacement so get well soon . That leaves @ColinJ ,@steveindenmark ,@Renmurew ,@CanucksTraveller and @wicker man yet to post . So time to :bicycle: and get it posted . Well done everyone

It's been on my mind, been struggling mentally with my (not good) work situation and didn't cycle for 3 weeks, but started to find my cycling mojo this week - so should manage it.

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
Was unable to ride last weekend due to illness, so felt I had to make up for it this weekend, doubly so. Did a high tempo 50km on Saturday (well, about 25km of it was high tempo, the rest I just bimbled about and searched for a tailwind!) and followed that up today with my longest ride of the year (115km) and for most of which I was on roads I'd never travelled down before - even the ones I had done, I was generally doing them in the opposite direction to my usual routes - which always makes for a refreshing change.

Climbed up Great Brickhill for the first time (nice climb, severe absence of bricks), managed to cross the M1 no less than six times, ignored some road closed signs because I knew I could get through on my bike (which made those few miles absolutely lovely - hardly any traffic at all) and even got the chance to stop off for a quick sandwich in Newport Pagnell at about halfway, because they'd handily put a bike rack outside the place I wanted to stop since the last time I went by. The only downside was one of my pedal cages falling off, but that was with less than ten miles to go, so it wasn't too difficult to just use a standard pedal on my left foot for a short while. Anyway, I've got a few spare cages, so it won't be a problem to attach another.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Thanks for the poke, I've been working like a dog all over Europe but I shall get on it this week when I get back from Ireland on Thursday, should be okay.

Lonestar

Veteran
Can I do this on my turbo trainer?

That would be a challenge for me.I've only managed 27 miles in one day (Friday 22 September) up from my previous record of 23 miles.

Although looks like i'm obviously too late for this year.

I'm in training for a bike tour in October 2018 but whether I will do that yet is anybodies guess.

I don't fancy cycling round London it just doesn't turn me on anymore and I do enough commuting round it.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Can I do this on my turbo trainer?

That would be a challenge for me.I've only managed 27 miles in one day (Friday 22 September) up from my previous record of 23 miles.

Although looks like i'm obviously too late for this year.

I'm in training for a bike tour in October 2018 but whether I will do that yet is anybodies guess.

I don't fancy cycling round London it just doesn't turn me on anymore and I do enough commuting round it.
Unfortunately turbo miles do not count as the whole idea is to get you out riding . That said anyone who does 50km on a turbo has my respect.

Lonestar

Veteran
Unfortunately turbo miles do not count as the whole idea is to get you out riding . That said anyone who does 50km on a turbo has my respect.

No worries but thanks.As the bike tour approaches next year then perhaps the 50 miler (outside) may not be such a bad idea after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom