The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I am just back from a fun ride. I took PeeBee, my nice steel MB Dronfield bike out - I love this bike so much - and meant to do a nice metric half but ended up with just over the imperial half. Had it not been pissing it down, I'd have carried on for 100km ride. He has his new saddle on - thank you @vickster, it's really comfy. Even comfier than my other Selle Italia that I'd had on him. Just tweaking the position now, to get it bob on. I've not ridden him for a couple of weeks as the seat holder clamp thing is rusted to hell and it keeps loosening off so I have to keep stopping to tighten. @BottomCrank turned up with a new seat post for me, the other evening (he brings brilliant presents. Jar of malt extract for bread making the other day and he has promised me a tin of treacle so that we can make fruited malt bread. Riding food :smile: )
I cleared off in the rough direction of Woodhall Spa, picked up the Bardney road and at Bardney, went over the bridge into unchartered territory for me. I took a B road to Lincoln and then over a busy flyover thing and then home, in increasingly deteriorating weather using the Water Rail Trail and the Spa Trail.
I stopped at Bardey Heritage cafe, part of the old train station there. Lovely people and I shall certainly visit there again. Good coffee and a bit bit of bakewell tart for £3. To use the Station loos you need to take an old penny from the penny jar - That's 1d not 1p for those of us who can remember - and put it in the toilet door slot to access them. They have showers there too, for the campers. Brilliant place and I highly recommend it.

Hooned back to Wooders, then back to Horncastle. PeeBee didn't seem to mind the rougher terrain of the Spa Trail. I'd had a couple of close encounters with 4x4s on the road and decided that, as they drive like idiots in the rain, that I didn't want to be a statistic. 51.6 miles. If the weahter clears, like it's supposed to, I might go out and do another 11 or so miles to make up a 100km day. Will take Eric the CX though as I've got PeeBee all clean.

Attachments

• IMG_1192.JPG
    IMG_1192.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 34

13 rider

Guru
I am just back from a fun ride. I took PeeBee, my nice steel MB Dronfield bike out - I love this bike so much - and meant to do a nice metric half but ended up with just over the imperial half. Had it not been pissing it down, I'd have carried on for 100km ride. He has his new saddle on - thank you @vickster, it's really comfy. Even comfier than my other Selle Italia that I'd had on him. Just tweaking the position now, to get it bob on. I've not ridden him for a couple of weeks as the seat holder clamp thing is rusted to hell and it keeps loosening off so I have to keep stopping to tighten. @BottomCrank turned up with a new seat post for me, the other evening (he brings brilliant presents. Jar of malt extract for bread making the other day and he has promised me a tin of treacle so that we can make fruited malt bread. Riding food :smile: )
I cleared off in the rough direction of Woodhall Spa, picked up the Bardney road and at Bardney, went over the bridge into unchartered territory for me. I took a B road to Lincoln and then over a busy flyover thing and then home, in increasingly deteriorating weather using the Water Rail Trail and the Spa Trail.
I stopped at Bardey Heritage cafe, part of the old train station there. Lovely people and I shall certainly visit there again. Good coffee and a bit bit of bakewell tart for £3. To use the Station loos you need to take an old penny from the penny jar - That's 1d not 1p for those of us who can remember - and put it in the toilet door slot to access them. They have showers there too, for the campers. Brilliant place and I highly recommend it.

Hooned back to Wooders, then back to Horncastle. PeeBee didn't seem to mind the rougher terrain of the Spa Trail. I'd had a couple of close encounters with 4x4s on the road and decided that, as they drive like idiots in the rain, that I didn't want to be a statistic. 51.6 miles. If the weahter clears, like it's supposed to, I might go out and do another 11 or so miles to make up a 100km day. Will take Eric the CX though as I've got PeeBee all clean.
Did you have fun the cafe owner at Bardney he is a character . That's our stop on Leicester to Lincoln rides

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Had enough of the last 7 days!
That sodding high wind in my face on every commute Monday to Wednesday, pretty much every one of the 17 or so miles on the way home. 2 visits from the fairy.
Gave my road bike a thorough clean yesterday. Ride today met with another visit from the fairy and by the end of the ride, bike filthy again. :cursing:

shirokazan

Veteran
Climbed up Great Brickhill for the first time (nice climb, severe absence of bricks)...
From which direction? Are you talking about the climb from the Grand Union Canal at Three Locks that goes past the golf club? On the way back home, did you try the horrendous climb out of Bow Brickhill (up past the transmitter mast heading to Woburn Golf Club)?

The only downside was one of my pedal cages falling off, but that was with less than ten miles to go, so it wasn't too difficult to just use a standard pedal on my left foot for a short while.
I first read that as your pedal falling off and thought you did rather well to get home at all, before realising that you use cages rather than cleats...still, glad that it didn't inconvenience you too much.:smile:

steverob

Guru
From which direction? Are you talking about the climb from the Grand Union Canal at Three Locks that goes past the golf club? On the way back home, did you try the horrendous climb out of Bow Brickhill (up past the transmitter mast heading to Woburn Golf Club)?

Yes, from the Three Locks up to Great Brickhill - have come down that hill a few times, but that was my first climb. Continued on to Little Brickhill and Woburn golf course from there but came home via the Ridgmont side of Woburn, so wouldn't have gone up the Bow Brickhill climb (nor have any intention to!)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Happy Birthday @Milkfloat just been on the members page and saw it was your Birthday today hope you had a good day I see you celebrated with a 50 km ride . Like your style hopefully some :cheers: and :birthday:afterwards
Thanks! I treated myself to some new wheels and today was their maiden outing, but as usual family pressure meant a short ride. Hopefully next week I can get my ton in.

kapelmuur

Veteran
I've been away on holiday for 2 weeks with no bike, this is the longest period I've had without a ride since I started cycling 6 years ago.

I got straight back in with a 50km yesterday and surprised myself with how good my legs felt. However, I was about 1 mph slower than usual for the parcours.

I used the cycle track alongside the recently completed B5569 road between Bowdon and Tabley and I need to warn anyone thinking of using the track that it is full of small sharp stones plus debris from adjoining trees and hedges. Fortunately I use Schwabe Durano Plus tyres which are very puncture resistant. However, I spent some time this morning digging out grit embedded in the rubber.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Yes, from the Three Locks up to Great Brickhill - have come down that hill a few times, but that was my first climb. Continued on to Little Brickhill and Woburn golf course from there but came home via the Ridgmont side of Woburn, so wouldn't have gone up the Bow Brickhill climb (nor have any intention to!)
Mmm ... I just looked them up - not far from where we came back into Leighton Buzzard on the last forum ride. Maybe we can incorporate them in one of the LB rides next year? :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A clever idea to exploit the "nice" weather damned near broke me today, but I ground it out and got in a metric half so it's all good.
Even if I had intended to go for an imperial half when I set off...:rolleyes:

Never, ever let anyone tell you Yorkshire isn't hilly :wacko:
Well, I have found a few places in Yorkshire that are not hilly ...! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom