The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
They're only the bits between the hills! :laugh:

It all depends on your definition of hill. Coming from sunny Essex, our hills are mere bumps in the road, compared to Yorkshire! :laugh:
Ha ha!

This is an almost flat metric century route that I keep in reserve for the winter months. The only real climb comes about 38 km in and even that is only about 4% for a km.

Flattish Garforth metric century.gif

Effyb4

Veteran
In comparison, this is my first 100km. It is a total of 847 ft. There are no hills to speak of. Strava shows the biggest 'hill' as 0.2 miles at 3% To say Yorkshire was a shock to the system, is putting it mildly. :laugh:
100k screenshot.png

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, it's a good job that I didn't attempt the mega-hilly route mentioned in post #678 last weekend ... I went out this afternoon to do a lumpy 50 km ride and I was knackered by the end of it. A cold and 12 days off the bike have really knocked my fitness back! :thumbsdown:

Today's profile:

Lumpy 50 km rioute.gif

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

That is quite lumpy. Were you on the fixed? ^_^
The singlespeed has a freehub so it isn't fixed. I am a bit fixed-curious but the descents would terrify me so I think I'll give fixed a miss as long as I live round here! :okay:

I can manage the route with the profile below on the s/s but that long hill (Mytholmroyd-Cragg Vale-Blackstone Edge) only averages 3.2%. It has a few stretches at about 5% and a couple of hundred metres at about 8-9%. That is about my limit though. My really lumpy rides are done using bikes with 25-inch bottom gears! :laugh:

Cragg Vale loop profile.gif

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
What a waste of a warm day. :cursing: Started out with intentions of 55 - 75 miles and Mrs B out for a good chunk of the day, so no ear bending about being out on the bike (again). May be a bug lurking within, but my legs were absolutely rubbish. They felt a bit tired to begin with, but the gentle slope from Warrington to Preston on the HIll, felt draining. Hastily rearranged route ensued.
I'll see what they are on the commute tomorrow, but may be a few days break required. Grrr!

13 rider

Guru
Well done @Saluki good effort :thumbsup:.Horncastle - Norwich. 100.1 miles. 4 points, I believe :wahhey:
The .1 is very important yes 4 points .Is that your first Imperial ton

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I went mad and rode 100 miles today. 109.72 actually but I had 9.71 miles that didn't record, between Boston and Fosdyke Bridge - no idea why, it just didn't. I rode from Horncastle to Norwich and had 2 proper stops. Once at McDees in King's Lynn for porridge, coffee and a hash brown and then again, when I managed to get on the A47 briefly and decided to cut across to Whitwell Station for a big bit of chocolate cake and a cup of coffee. The ex caught up with me there and I changed from my longs, which were getting really warm by then, into shorts and also jettisoned my jacket, just leaving me in my short sleeved cycling top.
I had enough in my legs to do an extra 8 or 9 miles to make sure that I tipped the garmin over the magic Century. Not bad for an old bird. My cousin/best friend thinks that I am bonkers. I don't think so and I felt great. Although my right knee is giving me a little bit of grief this evening.

The ex husband drove my car so that he could drive me back home again. I drove me back home again while he snored his head off in the passenger seat. The chap that I'm seeing said 'how are your legs?' I just replied 'long, shapely, muscular, admired. How are yours?' because it amused me.:laugh: I am a dreadful woman really :becool:
I might take tomorrow off running. Might ride tomorrow but it will mean putting wheels on the bike. I took Eric the CX as well, just in case I needed another bike - My new steel roadie is not getting any younger you know - but PeeBee was awesome. I :wub::wub::wub: him.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Well done @Saluki good effort :thumbsup:.Horncastle - Norwich. 100.1 miles. 4 points, I believe :wahhey:
The .1 is very important yes 4 points .Is that your first Imperial ton
My first imperial ton for quite a few years. I did a couple of ironman events when I was under 40 - seemed like a good idea at the time.
I routed up the bit that the Garmin missed so there is a missing 9.71 miles from that route so, actually, even more thrilled. My Garmin was on absolute fumes. broke the 100 mark with 1% left on the poor thing.

Katherine

Guru
Well done @Saluki!

I was intending to lead the B group today on a fairly easy 62 mile to Jodrell Bank but I ended up going out with the C group for the first time on a Sunday club ride, although I've done a couple of Saturdays with them. I did 70 miles but 3598 feet elevation!! Lovely quiet roads up around Rufford, Eccleston and Chorley. Beautiful Autumn colours.

PK99

Legendary Member
My first imperial ton for quite a few years. I did a couple of ironman events when I was under 40 - seemed like a good idea at the time.
I routed up the bit that the Garmin missed so there is a missing 9.71 miles from that route so, actually, even more thrilled. My Garmin was on absolute fumes. broke the 100 mark with 1% left on the poor thing.

Were you running the Garmin map display the whole way? That eats battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom