The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
I nearly cycled to Moscow today.....

Bright and relatively calm morning here in Ayrshire - headed out through Kilwinning towards Stewarton. Then over the hilly bit to Fenwick, then towards Moscow. No, not the one in Russia - it was MosCOW (with the accent on the second syllable, pronounced like the farm animal), near Kilmarnock.

Turned right just before Moscow, and round behind Kilmarnock. Followed the cycle path from Kilmarnock to Irvine, then on to Kilwinning and back via cycle path to saltcoats.

Quite a few cyclists out - but bearing in mind that it was a sunny and pleasant morning, I did see quite a few grumpy faces!

Cyclepaths were a bit treacherous with wet leaves.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1251974336

60k, 8 new Veloviewer tiles, and took my “metric Eddington” to 50.

Managed to sneak in my October 50km in time. I'd prioritised the 100km last week as my first ride back after the illness just in case I couldn't ride this weekend. Still less wobbly riding than walking but nearly fully recovered. I've not been tracking points as the rides are split between the 50km and 100km threads but...I reckon there's a chance of hitting 100 points for the year if I push things which would be nice.

Beautiful weather and colours on the ride but I did struggle on a couple of the steeper ones (didn't stop though...just VERY slow), must have lost more fitness than I thought.

steverob

Guru
Managed to sneak in my October 50km in time. I'd prioritised the 100km last week as my first ride back after the illness just in case I couldn't ride this weekend. Still less wobbly riding than walking but nearly fully recovered. I've not been tracking points as the rides are split between the 50km and 100km threads but...I reckon there's a chance of hitting 100 points for the year if I push things which would be nice.

Beautiful weather and colours on the ride but I did struggle on a couple of the steeper ones (didn't stop though...just VERY slow), must have lost more fitness than I thought.

So how did you find the Green Lane climb out of Wycombe then after I recommended it to you? Short and punchy (by your standards anyway!) but still an interesting climb I hope.

bruce1530

Guru
Yesterday was a trip over farm roads towards lugton, then zigzag toward Uplawmoor. A roundabout route, to pick up some veloviewer tiles. Great start to the day, but then it started raining, so I headed towards Barrhead, Paisley, Johnstone and jumped on a train home.

Today - lovely morning. Headed north along the coast, breeze in my face made it tough going - but flat all the way. . Turned at Largs, grabbed a quick coffee, and then an easy run home with a tailwind. 45k took me to the end of my street, so a lap round the town to make 50.
IMG_2432.JPG

steverob

Guru
I can't believe that I am just four points away from beating last year's points total with eight weekends still left to go in the year. Considering I basically lost May and June as riding months (3 points total, whereas in previous years I'd have got about 20), I'm absolutely thrilled!

And with yesterday's ride, I have now caught up to and overtaken my 2015 self's mileage (only by one mile mind, and he'll take the lead again in two days time when his 34 miler from 8th Nov takes effect) but this means I still have an outside chance of breaking my yearly mileage record, which I never would have thought possible at the end of April.

Anyway, today's ride was a lot of fun, or rather the second half was! Everything went to plan - ride 30 miles into a tough headwind, then take a quick break, before gliding back home on a lovely tailwind! 12.8mph on the way out, 15.5mph on the way back. Was a bit on the cold side admittedly, but dug out the full winter gear (first time I've had the cycling cap that comes down over my ears on since February) and wasn't too bad in the end.

I can't believe that I am just four points away from beating last year's points total with eight weekends still left to go in the year. Considering I basically lost May and June as riding months (3 points total, whereas in previous years I'd have got about 20), I'm absolutely thrilled!

And with yesterday's ride, I have now caught up to and overtaken my 2015 self's mileage (only by one mile mind, and he'll take the lead again in two days time when his 34 miler from 8th Nov takes effect) but this means I still have an outside chance of breaking my yearly mileage record, which I never would have thought possible at the end of April.

Anyway, today's ride was a lot of fun, or rather the second half was! Everything went to plan - ride 30 miles into a tough headwind, then take a quick break, before gliding back home on a lovely tailwind! 12.8mph on the way out, 15.5mph on the way back. Was a bit on the cold side admittedly, but dug out the full winter gear (first time I've had the cycling cap that comes down over my ears on since February) and wasn't too bad in the end.

I know the feeling Steve, I should have caught up with my cumulative total for the year by tomorrow (after the illness which put me 300km behind schedule). After that the new longer commute means I should be Ok for this years target. And yes, we were both riding in the same area yesterday and that headwind was a right pain!

13 rider

Guru
Hi all

Was blissfully unaware of this challenge til 2 weeks ago but.....

Jan 28: 41.9mi/67.43km 1 point
Feb 18: 38.7mi/62.28km 1pt
Mar 8: 46.2mi/74.35km 1pt
Mar 11: 66.5mi/107.02km 3pts
Apr 17: 52.5mi/84.49km 2pts
Apr 23: 73.9mi/118.93km 3pts
May 7: 71.4mi/114.90km 3pts
Jun 17: 80.2mi/129.07km 3pts
Jul 14: 33.7mi/54.23km 1pt
Aug 19: 42.4mi/68.23km 1pt
Sep 29: 39.1mi/62.92km 1pt
Oct 8: 40.7mi/65.50km 1pt
Oct 22: 51.4mi/82.72km 2pts
Welcome glad we talked you into it only 2 rides to go now

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
My first ride of any real distance in nearly a month due to a combination of horrible weather and then poor health - I've managed about 16 miles in total since my last qualifying ride!

So, really pleased to get the November banker in and will hopefully be able to add to it now before the month is out. The challenge is still on and there is just one more ride needed :okay:

Reports in the usual places.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another weekend, another entry in the challenge.^_^

Still struggling for fitness a bit, but decided to add a couple more hills in today which meant I was starting to feel it towards the end of the ride, but it was a great day for a ride. Glad I wrapped up well though (first ride with the proper winter gloves on in a long time!) as it felt blinking freezing! :cold:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom