The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
It's that time of month again a week to go , only 1 weekend . We have 26 riders fully posted up . So a nudge for @gavgav ,@Milkfloat ,@Effyb4 ,@Renmurew ,@CanucksTraveller ,@Eribiste ,@wicker man ,@john59 , @Chris Doyle and finally @tallliman ( who I now has done a ride but not update thread ) time to get a ride in or update thread if you already done one . Well everyone who's fully posted online one more required

Like Gavgav, I also have been laid low by illness. I managed to start a bout of shingles for some reason, affecting my right leg. I was so weak and in so much discomfort that I couldn't even mow the lawn at the start of the month! Getting up or down stairs was a sweat too. I'm a fair bit better now, but I doubt if I'm cycle fit, so I might have to post a fail this year. Sorry folks!

13 rider

Guru
Like Gavgav, I also have been laid low by illness. I managed to start a bout of shingles for some reason, affecting my right leg. I was so weak and in so much discomfort that I couldn't even mow the lawn at the start of the month! Getting up or down stairs was a sweat too. I'm a fair bit better now, but I doubt if I'm cycle fit, so I might have to post a fail this year. Sorry folks!
Can't give that post a like. My bil had shingles while we were on holiday last year he was in agony so feeling your pain ! . No need to apologize .

Renmurew

Veteran
Woooooohoooooooo!:dance:

November's 50K in the bag and recorded and no hedges required :laugh:. I held off until today as it was due to be more sunny than yesterday which I hoped would melt any frost from overnight. Heading out I was a bit tentative going down hills and with a very low sun in my eyes it was hard sometimes to judge what was a wet road, what was frosty and whether there was any ice around. Still I was determined to get this one done having ducked out at 40k last week due to the cold, so I just slowed down a bit. And then I turned into the wind. So I slowed down a lot more! At one point I was cycling along a road with a steady incline that I typically cover at a steady 10-12 mph, but today I was struggling to maintain 5mph! That really drains the tank and adds another mental challenge to the ride.

I had planned a cake stop at about 16 miles and persuaded my husband to drive to meet me there so had to keep slogging on to get to the cafe for the right time. Luckily I had given myself a good buffer of time and made it just as he drove into the car park :-)

After a cup of tea and a scone which helped to raise my spirits, supply some much needed energy and topped up the internal heat banks, I decided that rather than continuing on my planned route home, I would simply turn around and head back the way I had come. What a brilliant decision! What had been a slow uphill slog into the wind struggling with visibility into the sun, turned into a lovely downhill jaunt with the wind at my back and fantastic visibility on lovely quiet roads. Felt like I was home again in half the time, coffee in hand and my 50k banked for this month.

Layers and winter clothes were the order of the day. I had toe covers, winter socks, heat pads and shoe covers, winter tights, merino base layer, cycle top, winter jacket, neck buff, winter gloves and a merino head cover under my helmet. :snowball:

Good luck to everyone still to get a November ride in. Hope the weather holds off for you.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Sorry I never really got up and running on this challenge this year. Depression followed by ok period followed by slight depression relapse has equalled a total lack of motivation for cycling and many other things this year.

Hoping to be back 'on it' in 2018.

Well done to everyone who has made it thus far this year and good luck in December.

13 rider

Guru
Sorry I never really got up and running on this challenge this year. Depression followed by ok period followed by slight depression relapse has equalled a total lack of motivation for cycling and many other things this year.

Hoping to be back 'on it' in 2018.

Well done to everyone who has made it thus far this year and good luck in December.
I've reserved a place for you :okay:

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Well, I gave it a shot, but my strength ran out today, the first ride since October. No riding for November until today due to an illness. I had a slow (very slow) bimble around Bredon Hill, thinking that I might be able to do two laps, one lap being about 28km but it was not to be. I'll get some cycling fitness back in December, ready for 2018's challenge.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Well, I gave it a shot, but my strength ran out today, the first ride since October. No riding for November until today due to an illness. I had a slow (very slow) bimble around Bredon Hill, thinking that I might be able to do two laps, one lap being about 28km but it was not to be. I'll get some cycling fitness back in December, ready for 2018's challenge.

@Eribiste

You tried! It's a real bugger this illness malarkey. Looks like we both need to get some saddle hours in next year - I'm less than 800 miles for the whole year which is pretty feeble. Cest la vie.

13 rider

Guru
Kudos for trying :notworthy: .Gutted for you always next year

Effyb4

Veteran
Today was my last chance to stay in the challenge. We only got back from Edinburgh last night at 12.30, and we had a lay in this morning. I had plans to see my parents and sister at tea time, so I had this afternoon to get my ride done. It was very cold and we got a puncture on the front wheel on the way home. DH had taken everything out of my bag and hadn't remembered to put the tyre levers back in, so we pumped up the tyre and limped home. We just managed to do 50 km, but my hands were red with the cold, when I got round to my Mum and Dad's house.

13 rider

Guru
Today was my last chance to stay in the challenge. We only got back from Edinburgh last night at 12.30, and we had a lay in this morning. I had plans to see my parents and sister at tea time, so I had this afternoon to get my ride done. It was very cold and we got a puncture on the front wheel on the way home. DH had taken everything out of my bag and hadn't remembered to put the tyre levers back in, so we pumped up the tyre and limped home. We just managed to do 50 km, but my hands were red with the cold, when I got round to my Mum and Dad's house.
Well done and your still in :highfive:thats what matters

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well done! :bravo:

DH is a big strong lad - he should be able to get a tyre off without using tyre levers (unless you happen to have one of those nasty tyre/rim combinations which are almost impossible without gorilla strength)! There are quite a few videos on YouTube showing how to do it. (Having freezing cold hands wouldn't help though!)

I have managed to remove/replace a few of my tyres without the use of levers but I did have one combination of tyre/rim which was a nightmare even with levers!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's that time of month again a week to go , only 1 weekend . We have 26 riders fully posted up . So a nudge for @gavgav ,@Milkfloat ,@Effyb4 ,@Renmurew ,@CanucksTraveller ,@Eribiste ,@wicker man ,@john59 , @Chris Doyle and finally @tallliman ( who I now has done a ride but not update thread ) time to get a ride in or update thread if you already done one . Well everyone who's fully posted online one more required
Sadly I'm out, my last realistic chance was today but I've completely lost my mojo and a ride of 50k in cold weather is about as appealing as a slap in the face right now. Sorry. Well done everyone who has managed to keep it going!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom