1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Discussion in 'CycleChat Monthly Challenges' started by ColinJ, 28 Dec 2016.

1. steverob

steverob Über Member

Got my second star!

Having taken delivery of a trainer and done my first Zwift ride on it yesterday, it was very tempting to just stay indoors today given the conditions and give that another thrash. However I did promise myself that I'd complete this challenge on the first day in December that I was able to, so despite the cold and the constant drizzle, I went out and did my 50km (in fact it was almost 60km) just so that I could mark it as done.

The ongoing 100km challenge ride will probably wait until later in the month - I've got the whole Christmas period off, so as long as there's at least one passable weather day, I should be able to keep that one going (my 12 months re-started in July, so I'm only halfway through).

2. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

Ouch - GWS! :eek:

kapelmuur and Chris Doyle like this.
  3. 13 rider

13 rider Veteran

4. Bazzer

Bazzer Much to do and not enough hours

After a month without decent saddle time and none in prospect for the next few days, managed to get out early this morning.
    Hopefully more in the Christmas break, but that's me completed. :dance:

5. tallliman

tallliman Über Member

As it's the last month, I thought I'd update to say I'm finished.....need 3-4 decent length rides to overcome last year's points tally however!

6. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Boxed it today. Still chilly but got 32 miles in to earn my first star. It has helped me ensure I got some miles in. 2650 so far and 79 points in the challenge.

Cheers all.

7. Saluki

Saluki I've run away with my friends to..

Nice mild day, 7 degrees with little wind and I had a nice 16 mile ride yesterday so thought that a 50km ride would be in order. I wanted to check to see if ex Hubs had downloaded the forms to email to me to print. Email hasn't arrived as his phone dropped out at the critical moment when he was on the phone to CAB apparently. I had a coffee and a warm up and then got on my way. I did a bit of a loop to bring me out by the windmill at Sibsey and then retraced my wheeltracks to the Boston turning but headed towards Coningsby rather than Horncastle and rode back the slightly less boring route.
    The only thing with that way home is it does put me on the main road but only for a short while before I turn off towards Kirkby on Bain and then home on the back road.

My knee is still playing up so I am riding steady at the moment. I need to ride 129 more miles to finish the year with four thousand miles on the clock. Average of another 6 miles a day required or 32.25 miles a week. Definitely doable.

8. bruce1530

bruce1530 Über Member

And I’m in......

OK - it’s only 50k a month, which is pretty modest by the standard of many people around here, but I’m feeling quite pleased with myself.

This time last year, I was in a hospital bed, with a suspected broken hip, following an altercation with some black ice. Wasn’t sure when I’d get back on a bike, or even if I wanted to. Fortunately there was no break.

Spinney, Jon George, Saluki and 11 others like this.
  9. 13 rider

13 rider Veteran

10 more finishers today @Bazzer ,@tallliman ,@Salty seadog ,@bruce1530 ,@aferris2 ,@Lilliburlero ,@The Bystander ,@Saluki ,@NorthernDave and me @13 rider
    Well done everyone

10. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

And another one!
    Near ideal cycling weather for the time of year - bit chilly but dry and only a light wind so I got out and got the ride in as who knows what the weather will be like later in the month. Nowhere near last years points tally, but it's the challenge completed and that's the main thing.
    Well done to all my fellow half centurions and centurionesses. :okay:

11. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

That’s me done, now to get the metric century completed. The next few weekends are out due to kids and parties so looks like a Christmas sneaky ride.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2017
    Bazzer, Jon George, Saluki and 8 others like this.
  12. Katherine

Katherine Staff Member Staff Member

I did 62 miles today!! ^_^
    ... but not posted it yet.

I am seriously considering joining the century challenge next year, after managing 4 months in a row, though only 7 months out of the 12 with May being the first.

Jon George, Saluki, Osprey and 10 others like this.
  13. Lilliburlero

Lilliburlero Wilier ftw

Go for it :thumbsup::bicycle:

14. 13 rider

13 rider Veteran

Saluki, ColinJ, Jon George and 6 others like this.
  15. 13 rider

13 rider Veteran

17th finisher well done @Katherine . 3 years in a row

Osprey, Saluki, Katherine and 6 others like this.