The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Got my second star!

Having taken delivery of a trainer and done my first Zwift ride on it yesterday, it was very tempting to just stay indoors today given the conditions and give that another thrash. However I did promise myself that I'd complete this challenge on the first day in December that I was able to, so despite the cold and the constant drizzle, I went out and did my 50km (in fact it was almost 60km) just so that I could mark it as done.

The ongoing 100km challenge ride will probably wait until later in the month - I've got the whole Christmas period off, so as long as there's at least one passable weather day, I should be able to keep that one going (my 12 months re-started in July, so I'm only halfway through).

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A tale of woe from me. I fell hard onto my right hip on Tuesday, I thought the black ice on a corner was simply a wet road. I'm unable to put any weight on my right leg and am on crutches.

I had a few hours in casualty yesterday and was relieved to be told that there were no broken bones, severely strained tendons is the verdict. The doctor reckoned recovery will take 6 weeks.

If I'm lucky I'll be able to get a qualifying ride in before 31st December. the thought of failing to complete the challenge in its final month is very frustrating.

I must put in a word of praise for the NHS, the bloke on the 999 switchboard, the ambulance crew and the staff and doctors at Stepping Hill hospital Stockport were all wonderful.
Ouch - GWS! :eek:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I'm hoping for some mild weather in December. I've got to get the last month in to complete the challenge. I'm at sea for two weeks in the month so only have the other two to get it in. My trouble is I really suffer with my hands and especially feet in cold weather no matter what I wear. Just done 20 miles this morning and my feet still hurt after being inside for an hour.

Boxed it today. Still chilly but got 32 miles in to earn my first star. It has helped me ensure I got some miles in. 2650 so far and 79 points in the challenge.

Cheers all.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Nice mild day, 7 degrees with little wind and I had a nice 16 mile ride yesterday so thought that a 50km ride would be in order. I wanted to check to see if ex Hubs had downloaded the forms to email to me to print. Email hasn't arrived as his phone dropped out at the critical moment when he was on the phone to CAB apparently. I had a coffee and a warm up and then got on my way. I did a bit of a loop to bring me out by the windmill at Sibsey and then retraced my wheeltracks to the Boston turning but headed towards Coningsby rather than Horncastle and rode back the slightly less boring route.
The only thing with that way home is it does put me on the main road but only for a short while before I turn off towards Kirkby on Bain and then home on the back road.

My knee is still playing up so I am riding steady at the moment. I need to ride 129 more miles to finish the year with four thousand miles on the clock. Average of another 6 miles a day required or 32.25 miles a week. Definitely doable.

bruce1530

Guru
And I’m in......

OK - it’s only 50k a month, which is pretty modest by the standard of many people around here, but I’m feeling quite pleased with myself.

This time last year, I was in a hospital bed, with a suspected broken hip, following an altercation with some black ice. Wasn’t sure when I’d get back on a bike, or even if I wanted to. Fortunately there was no break.

13 rider

Guru

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
And another one!
Near ideal cycling weather for the time of year - bit chilly but dry and only a light wind so I got out and got the ride in as who knows what the weather will be like later in the month. Nowhere near last years points tally, but it's the challenge completed and that's the main thing.
Well done to all my fellow half centurions and centurionesses. :okay:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom