The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Finished!
The last two have been a struggle. Today was grey skies, my legs weren't too keen, but I managed a bare 31.2 miles, on the grounds that the weather probably wasn't going to be much better for the rest of the month. Still, making myself do it was part of the reason for signing up for this challenge!
:cheers:

13 rider

Guru
No 28 well done @Spinney just enough is still enough :okay: 3 years in a row :bravo:

Finished!
The last two have been a struggle. Today was grey skies, my legs weren't too keen, but I managed a bare 31.2 miles, on the grounds that the weather probably wasn't going to be much better for the rest of the month. Still, making myself do it was part of the reason for signing up for this challenge!
:cheers:
I could not agree more. Was introduced late on to this challenge following a forum ride with @13 rider @Lilliburlero @Supersuperleeds and @tallliman and despite a lack of consistency in the latter half of the year managed to motivate myself through to do it! Looking forward to 2018’s challenge already.....

.....but well done to you and all the best for the next one!!

gavgav

Guru
Challenge completed for 2017 :hyper:. It’s been quite a struggle to get the November and December entries in, with illness and Ice Age weather, but a lovely sunny morning to finish it off nicely today.

Well done to all who have completed and look forwards to starting again for 2018.

StuartG

slower but further
Dunnit today - what a relief! I don't go out if its below 37F for the fear of ice pockets. This and other commitments wiped out most of the month. I still have to do my Christmas Shopping so you can see where my priorities lie. I had to put in a couple of loops back in town to make up the mileage through shopping streets. The madness of drivers trying to park, overtake et al was well above average. But I guess they thought I was mad too.

Oh and I achieved my other objective too. Every ride in shorts!

Katherine

Guru
I was so relieved to get a good ride in at the beginning of the month and was starting to think that it would be the only qualifying ride in December after the recent cold and wet weather. Today was lovely, very mild, and I really enjoyed today's ride. A social ride with the club but I cheekily took them on a couple of little detours to deliver Christmas cards. Officially, I only need another 5.1 miles to make 3000 miles for the year but there were a couple of rides that didn't synchronise on Strava.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I am rather impressed with myself having done 3 qualifying rides this month. I am aiming for 4039 miles for the year, which gives me 6500km. So just 49 and a bit miles to go.

I went off to Tattershall Castle and Bridge today. It's a route that I took a lot in the summer but have not ridden for a while on account of Himself, coming to my house now and we ride from here and rarely ride in the direction of his work. He says it's just too depressing. Anyway, I crossed the river and rode back to Woodhall Spa then picked up the Rail Trail to Stixwould. I wasn't really feeling the love today but there were some great bits and a few rubbish bits. I had a couple of issues with my rear wheel. It seems to move in it's dropouts. I had the bike upside down twice and getting the wheel back in position. The derailleur seems to pull it a bit. I could have done with a 3rd hand to be honest. I do need to get my lovely PB apart and give him a good clean and sort out. I'm on the hunt for a whole new gear system. He's a bit mish-mashed with bits of Campag, bits of Shimano and some Simplex stuff. It all seems to work well but I'd like something nicer for him.

I needed to find an extra 4 miles to make up the distance but I have a handy little loop from Horncastle, up to Mareham on the Hill and then back down to the old Boston Road and back home. I did whizz a couple of times around the estate before stopping a road over from my house as usual. Quite pleased really, I've lost fitness though, I can feel it.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
One of those days today when it was the mileage challenge that got me out, even though I have technically completed it.
After a morning driving >70 miles, laying wreaths at my father's and step father's graves, then flowers at a totally impersonal crematorium, where my mother in law's and sister in law's ashes are, I just felt like slobbing out with a cup of hot chocolate and a mince pie, watching Cool Running. But the lure of achieving something, however transitory, or digital, got me out on my bike and this evening feeling better for it. So thanks @ColinJ and @13 rider for the challenge and its maintenance :okay:
Fog descended part way though the ride and apart from a brief period in Knutsford centre and the higher section of Tatton Park, it stayed with me for the rest of the journey.

The higher section of Tatton Park before descending into the fog.

IMG_20171223_1518272331_zpsil6dcb4j.jpg

IMG_20171223_1520599801_zps3pidxdv0.jpg

Katherine

Guru
One of those days today when it was the mileage challenge that got me out, even though I have technically completed it.
After a morning driving >70 miles, laying wreaths at my father's and step father's graves, then flowers at a totally impersonal crematorium, where my mother in law's and sister in law's ashes are, I just felt like slobbing out with a cup of hot chocolate and a mince pie, watching Cool Running. But the lure of achieving something, however transitory, or digital, got me out on my bike and this evening feeling better for it. So thanks @ColinJ and @13 rider for the challenge and its maintenance :okay:
Fog descended part way though the ride and apart from a brief period in Knutsford centre and the higher section of Tatton Park, it stayed with me for the rest of the journey.

The higher section of Tatton Park before descending into the fog.

View attachment 388285

View attachment 388286
We saw a bit of fog going back through Croft, Birchwood and Irlam but it had cleared by the time we got to Astley.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
We saw a bit of fog going back through Croft, Birchwood and Irlam but it had cleared by the time we got to Astley.

I think it depended upon the time of travel. A little misty around Warburton, but on the road to Lymm past La Boheme there was a noticeable change. And once under the bridge, the fog density increased with every pedal stroke up the hill. Then there was the weird gap in Knutsford. No idea how far the fog spread but Mrs B, who had gone to the cinema (near the Gemini retail park), at the same time as I left on my bike, said it was foggy there when she started to come home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom