The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another metric half in the bank with a spin out to Otley, then back via a loop though Farnley and Pool in Wharfedale.
I think every cyclist this side of the Pennines was out there this morning.
By 'eck, it's scorchio out there already. :sun:

Report to follow...

aferris2

Guru
Decided on a ride out to Bradwell today. According to the Met Office I would get a tailwind there and back just as long as I delayed the return for a bit. They were right! Lovely day with lots of sun, and sun means suncream - and lots of it. I splashed it on (factor 30) before I left and re-did it 3 times during the ride. Still got burnt. Other half kindly informed me that the bottle I had taken (on her suggestion) was last years and it's lost all of its sun blocking capability. Just about everything has a best before date. Why not suncream! It's in the bin now, but I think I should stay out of the sun for a few days.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Decided on a ride out to Bradwell today. According to the Met Office I would get a tailwind there and back just as long as I delayed the return for a bit. They were right! Lovely day with lots of sun, and sun means suncream - and lots of it. I splashed it on (factor 30) before I left and re-did it 3 times during the ride. Still got burnt. Other half kindly informed me that the bottle I had taken (on her suggestion) was last years and it's lost all of its sun blocking capability. Just about everything has a best before date. Why not suncream! It's in the bin now, but I think I should stay out of the sun for a few days.

BTW That's a like for getting out, not getting burned.:okay:

Elysian_Roads

Have now taken to writing the date I get sunscreen on the bottle and binning one year later if not used up before. Otherwise I would just look at it and go when did I buy this??????

the stupid one

Über Member
Saturday's metric 50 was good - I felt stronger, I got out of the saddle for a few little hills, I even passed some other cyclists. This caused me to wonder if I'm getting closer to being able to do some touring this year, so I needed another ride soon to make the assessment.

Bank Holiday Monday. Warm, sunny, not too windy according to the forecast (they got that wrong). I snapped on the panniers, put some bits in, and got out there. It's long been a wish to cycle along the path through Chester Zoo, just because I've known about it since I was little and there were polar bears next to it. So instead of turning for home at Deeside industrial estate I headed down the Greenway to Chester with directions written on a little square of card.

To be honest I had taken too much on, too close to the previous ride. By the time I got past the Zoo I was struggling, and half an hour later I was lying in a field trying to get my breath back and wondering how rude it would be to call Mrs TSO for a lift home. Nonetheless, I persisted! "It's not about the speed, it's about the distance," I kept telling myself as each road stretched out for ever. If I ever got out of the middle ring it was to drop down to the little'un. Finally got back to familiar paths and trundled home.

I know I was only 8 1/2 km from the metric century, but there was really no chance. I was - am - knackered.

But I'll be proud of myself tomorrow!

:okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Have now taken to writing the date I get sunscreen on the bottle and binning one year later if not used up before. Otherwise I would just look at it and go when did I buy this??????
I had never thought of it 'going off' before so I did a quick search after reading the posts above ... Apparently, it DOES go off, but it takes 3 years or so. A bottle doesn't last me that long so I am not going to worry about it.

aferris2

Guru
I had never thought of it 'going off' before so I did a quick search after reading the posts above ... Apparently, it DOES go off, but it takes 3 years or so. A bottle doesn't last me that long so I am not going to worry about it.
It will say UP TO 3 years. Tesco own-brand is no good after it has sat on the shelf over winter. Or maybe they don't put it on the shelves for 2 years after manufacture. There's no use by date so it's anyones guess.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It will say UP TO 3 years. Tesco own-brand is no good after it has sat on the shelf over winter. Or maybe they don't put it on the shelves for 2 years after manufacture. There's no use by date so it's anyones guess.
Good point, but since I tend to buy more than one bottle a year I still won't worry about it.

Having said that, I have one bottle from a few years back which I stopped using because it was a greenish colour which looked really odd on the skin. I'd kept it in case I ran out of newer sunscreen before buying another new bottle. I'll get rid of everything except for the latest bottle and not buy a replacement bottle until I am right at the end of this one.

2 more over the line today making 36 fully posted up but that still leaves 5 not posted hopefully their just late posting , Missing @EasyPeez ,@Crackle ,@slow scot ,@Effyb4 and @al3xsh . Well done everyone especially @gavgav who took it right to the edge . Looking forward to better weather and some nice sunny rides
Apologies for the tardy reply. I haven't been around much and various distractions kept me off my bike and robbed me of my cycling mojo, so I'm out for this year. Still one of the rides is one which will live in the ride memory for a bit, which is good but the hoped for motivation to stay consistent was beaten by circumstance, which is fine, I thought I'd give it a go though. Thank for administering it and the encouragement.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Apologies for the tardy reply. I haven't been around much and various distractions kept me off my bike and robbed me of my cycling mojo, so I'm out for this year. Still one of the rides is one which will live in the ride memory for a bit, which is good but the hoped for motivation to stay consistent was beaten by circumstance, which is fine, I thought I'd give it a go though. Thank for administering it and the encouragement.
No problems hope you find your Mojo and family commitments and life allow you time to get out

Top Bottom