The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Just back from a lovely holiday in Orlando, where I managed to do two very enjoyable bike rides of 50 and 40 miles in amongst all the theme park visits, so thought I'd use this post to plug TheRideXperience, who I not only hired the bike from, but also chose to ride with the owner Alex. The cost of the accompanied bike ride option was not much more than just hiring the bike itself, plus this way it meant I was getting him to pick the best route for me and also ensure that I kept to a decent pace (he was definitely fitter and faster than me, but was easily able to adjust his pace to whatever I wanted).

He picked me up from my hotel and we drove to Winter Garden, which is a town about 15 miles from Orlando (and about 20-25 from the touristy areas near Disney), which is where we started our rides. This town is a big mecca for cyclists locally, mainly because it's near the only really hilly-ish area of otherwise flat Central Florida, plus there's a decent cycleway running right through it, which acted as the first (and last) seven miles of both rides. The cycleways there are of a very high quality; wide and well maintained, plus even at junctions most of the time bikes had right of way (the occasions when they didn't were marked clearly). Apart from those bits, most of the rest of the ride was on roads, but even then, because there are a lot of cyclists in this area, drivers are very used to seeing them and do seem to be very bike aware - I didn't have one close pass at all on either ride and many cars gave us such a wide berth it was quite refreshing. I understand however that these experiences may not be the case in other areas of Florida!

On my first ride we went up Sugarloaf Mountain Road, which is their biggest local climb at 4% for about a mile (the steepest bit is 9% for a third of a mile), which isn't all that difficult, but when you reach the top you suddenly realise that putting in a bit of effort in that heat and humidity can drain you quite quickly! We started our rides around 8am to avoid the worst of the heat of the day (highs were around 31-32 degrees C), but it did still get rather warm. Luckily there was a local homeowner near the top of the hill who puts out a water butt at his garden gate to allow you to top up your bottles from and obviously a lot of cyclists gather round that for a breather - must have been at least five there when I arrived and a few more came along not long after.

Also did a lap of Lake Minneola (a very scenic area), with a brief stop at a local bike shop and cafe, and while this part was fairly flat, there were quite a few undulating bits that did keep the elevation meter ticking over nicely. When we arrived back at the start point on the first ride, I found I was at 49.3 miles, so I persuaded Alex to add a quick loop on to get an imperial half century - I tried to explain to him about our challenges on here, but I wasn't sure he realised quite how desperate I was to get that extra point!

The bike itself was superb - I had a Specalized Tarmac carbon road bike with Ultegra electronic shifters (way better than mine at home!) that looked almost new. I'd sent over my bike measurements to them before my holiday, so it was all set up to my liking and a Garmin mount and drinks bottles were also provided. They would also provide your choice of pedals if you wanted to just bring shoes only to cut down on luggage weight (I went with flats with cages though). All in all, would certainly hire from them again, though I probably won't be back out that way for a fair few years, so I thought it only fair I mentioned it on here instead in case anyone else was likely to be going out to Orlando soon and wanted a riding option.

Last edited:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
A great start to May. Stunning long weekend in Bala/Dolgellau last weekend on the mtbs. The most epic ride ever that was only 56km but given the first two hours we hacked up and down grassy hillsides trying to get on the right garmin route, only for me to realise that I had loaded the wrong ride but fairly similar start, managed it all in a mixture of sun and sea fog with 1350m of climbing and a lot of it off road, single track and gravel. The husband has forgiven me for the major navigational faux pas/co** up!

Sunday we tried to pretend to know what we were doing at Coed y Brenin bike park, was way under 50km for the two trails we did, and Monday we were only fit for wild swimming in the high Cregennen Lakes and a short ride over to Barmouth for Fish and Chips :hungry:

This weekend I rode "north of the border" twice, in Gloucestershire. Saturday was the excellent South Glos 100km Audax from Alveston to Tetbury and back via Wotton under Edge, lovely rolling route with no stressful hills. Great friendly day as audax always are, for once I was feeling strong so a v pleasant day.

Sunday was the British Heart Foundation Cotswold 50 mile Charity Ride from Cheltenham Race Course. We rode this two years ago, and it was a long pull up on the main road to start, now they take you up a beastly hill called Ham Hill, it was horrible so early in the ride. Thankfully got up without resorting to walking, although I stopped v close to top as concerned about friend and husband I was riding with. If I'd known I'd done the worst I could have done it in one go. Very few were not walking so a bit of a "This girl bloody well can" moment :wahhey: Stunning day, lovely seeing lots of ordinary folk out with friends and family. I cannot believe how some get round in more clothing than I wear in winter, it was boiling! Shorts and short sleeve jersey all day, bonus when drizzle was forecast earlier in the week. Highlights were the bluebell woods and the swooping descent at Snowshill, and lunch in Winchcombe of course! Even got a medal :hyper:

the stupid one

Über Member
Today's ride was based around the Wirral Circular Trail, but at Bromborough Pool I took an old railway line path through to Port Sunlight - another local track I've long wanted to travel. I grew up round there and knew about bits of that route for decades, but never experienced it. Quite a handsome sandstone cutting for much of its 2 km, though not quite as Middle Earth as the Neston cutting on the Wirral Way.

Are we meant to carry water just to rehydrate, or is it actually to wash down the insects? LOTS of protein in the air these days.

Domus

Guru
Went to mum's in Chorley again but this time on the new bike, I avoided the usual cycle path alongside Middlebrook as I'm not sure about the robustness of the Mavic tyres. It felt quicker but the overall speed for the whole ride is only marginally faster than normal but I had a headwind all the way back. Very nice though. :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A great start to May. Stunning long weekend in Bala/Dolgellau last weekend on the mtbs. The most epic ride ever that was only 56km but given the first two hours we hacked up and down grassy hillsides trying to get on the right garmin route, only for me to realise that I had loaded the wrong ride but fairly similar start, managed it all in a mixture of sun and sea fog with 1350m of climbing and a lot of it off road, single track and gravel. The husband has forgiven me for the major navigational faux pas/co** up!

Sunday we tried to pretend to know what we were doing at Coed y Brenin bike park, was way under 50km for the two trails we did, and Monday we were only fit for wild swimming in the high Cregennen Lakes and a short ride over to Barmouth for Fish and Chips :hungry:
I'll be out that way next week with my CX bike. I think I will mainly be doing shortish road rides because the friend that I am going with is not really a cyclist. (She hasn't ridden her bike since we did the (Morecambe) Bay Way together last year, but she enjoyed that and said she fancied another trip away with the bikes.)

We will be staying between Barmouth and Harlech. One ride we will definitely be doing is the estuary cycle trail from Barmouth to Dolgellau. I am going to try to persuade her to return to Barmouth via the lovely road on the hillside below the Cadair Idris.

As for today ... I went out and did a lovely sunny ride with Littgull on my recently fettled best bike. It felt great to ride and I seemed to be in good form too. I did 40 miles and felt tempted to add on another 10 to get 50 miles in but traffic was increasing and most of that extra distance would have been on main roads so I decided not to bother.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Welcome to the addictive half century challenge @scotjimland and @Mistyscot . @scotjimland if you have done any 50km rides since Jan you can post them and you would qualify for the Jan to Dec challenge to get a bronze Star for your signature . @Mistyscot I take from your strava title that may have been your first

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I'll be out that way next week with my CX bike. I think I will mainly be doing shortish road rides because the friend that I am going with is not really a cyclist. (She hasn't ridden her bike since we did the (Morecambe) Bay Way together last year, but she enjoyed that and said she fancied another trip away with the bikes.)

We will be staying between Barmouth and Harlech. One ride we will definitely be doing is the estuary cycle trail from Barmouth to Dolgellau. I am going to try to persuade her to return to Barmouth via the lovely road on the hillside below the Cadair Idris.

As for today ... I went out and did a lovely sunny ride with Littgull on my recently fettled best bike. It felt great to ride and I seemed to be in good form too. I did 40 miles and felt tempted to add on another 10 to get 50 miles in but traffic was increasing and most of that extra distance would have been on main roads so I decided not to bother.
Barmouth to Dolgellau is stunning! Few hills up to Cader, love the area around Cregennan Lakes, found the descent far easier with disc brakes on the mtbs. Definitely need a gravel bike with discs! We love the area, have a great trip.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Nice ride out today. I am working - was working anyway - in Norfolk. I am not returning to that job due to not being in agreement with their sideline biz. Sticking my fingers in my ears and saying 'la la la la la' is not doing the do for me. Anyway, the antidote for the stress is a bike ride, yes?
I decided to head out of Horncastle past the private zoo and I still haven't seen the tigers. Been here a year. Anyway, I rode out on the back roads to Bardney and had a nice cuppa in the usual cafe. There was a chap who had ridden from Huddersfield, then to Boston, back to Bardney for a coffee and a teacake and then was heading back to Huddersfield. Nice day out if you are fit enough and I am not. Another nice chap there from Tattershall way and he was doing similar mileage to me but in the other direction.
I just had a nice time. I should have been out earlier but was job hunting and registering with agencies on line. If the weather holds, I might get a couple of longer rides in if I can. No guarantees mind.

Top Bottom