The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Leaving it a bit late but managed a quick 57Km yesterday Blaby - Countesthorpe - Willoughby Waterlys - Cosby - Dunton Basset - Ashby Parva - Frolesworth - Claybrooke Parva - Wibtoft - Claybrooke Magna - Ullesthorpe - Gilmorton - Peatling Magna - Peatling Parva - Countesthorpe - Blaby. Nice ride done later in the dy thn usual (set off at 5pm) hope to get another in before the end of the month as I really haven't cycled much - commuting aside - this August.

The Bystander

Über Member
I arrived at the crossroads about 2.5 miles from home with 47.6 miles showing on the Garmin. Having received an official warning last month for falling short on a metric half I wasn't going to chance coming up short on an imperial half, I could be stripped of my Über Member status or have to turn my cycle clips in or worse. So I took a slightly less direct route home to bank 2 points, and in so doing matched my points total for last year in two fewer rides.

aferris2

Guru
Another ride for August done. I'm on holiday for a week so gave the road bike a bit of TLC then took it out to check everything was still working.
A couple of amusing moments:
1. Guy in a mini pulls level with me as we are queuing to cross a single lane bridge. I'm holding the middle of the lane so he's blocking the traffic from getting off the bridge. Then, once we had crossed, 100 yards down the road he turns right into a (his?) driveway. Indicators - no don't need them!
2. Another MGIF this time from a learner. Queuing for traffic turning right. Learner pulls level with me and starts to edge closer and closer because there's a traffic island in the middle of the road. Caught a glimpse of the instructor desperately trying to steer away and brake at the same time. They were turning right too so I missed my chance to get the name. Surely he should have taken control a little bit sooner?

aferris2

Guru
Out again for a 50 miler. Met Office was forcasting bright sunshine for most of the day but the sun only made a brief appearance. Managed to bag a couple of new Velo Viewer squares that were a bit off the beaten track so a bit of a strange route around the Dengie peninsula. Planning on a longer ride for Friday or Saturday... have to wait to see what the weather does.

Yet another extended commute home. I wonder how many ways I can find to turn a 15km ride into a 50km one? There are only so many ways to get past certain choke points like crossing M25, M1, A406 etc. Ironically once it gets into winter it gets easier as I'll be riding the gravel bike which opens up extra routes...though it'll be dark too early to ride them after work usually. Oddly though I find doing a 50km after work just as tiring the next day as doing a 100km at weekends.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
7thJan Norwich Salhouse loop plus club ride from Norwich to Walcott plus the Salhouse loop again 65 miles

11thFeb
Loop, 53-11 club ride toMattishall, loop and finish withEastern Avenue. Very Windy. 62 and a bit miles 100km

25th March, just in time, Norwich Salhouse loop, then a club ride to Guist and back 67 miles or 108km Saved ride in two parts at coffee stop. Good to be out with the sun shining and drier roads :smile:

6th April with HOGOTS loop from Hethersett and home. A windy 62 miles.

May 6th
Tour de broads, 102 miles. Not the last to post this month :smile: 1 hr 15 minutes faster than last year.
Beautiful sunny day but a little blowy especially last 12 miles.

3rd June
Home to Holt and back, 62 miles

24th July 50 km with 53-11 social ride including a beer stop :smile:

3rd August a very hot MTB ride to Whitell and back on Mariotts Way 50km and yet another p*******!
Just noticed you've lost this it the chat thread not the challenge thread . No problems this month as I've found it .

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Last weekend of the month warning hopefully a 3 dayer for most of us :smile: .Plenty of days left to get a ride in but only 1 weekend
We have 30 riders fully posted ,well done everyone . Nudge time for @gavgav ,@cosmicbike ,@Milkfloat ,@Osprey ,@kipster ,@RealLeeHimself ,@the stupid one and @fatjel

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Just seeing if your keeping up :okay: . Your write up about France looked superb
Keeping me on my toes you are, so much so I've just updated the 100km challenge thread:okay:
France was stunning, more riding done than I expected to get, but it was hilly. I'm used to 10metres per mile climbing locally, some of the France rides were over 30 metres a mile:eek:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Ironically once it gets into winter it gets easier as I'll be riding the gravel bike which opens up extra routes...though it'll be dark too early to ride them after work usually.

Too dark? You need one of these...

000b.JPG

^_^

Top Bottom