The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elysian_Roads

Back on the bike after a week away, and luckily yesterday's rain was nowhere to be seen, at least in these parts.

Back over to Turville Heath, in an attempt to improve my relationship with (what passes for) hills (around here). Well, at least going up as opposed to going down....

Definitely cooler out there.

Back on the bike after a week away, and luckily yesterday's rain was nowhere to be seen, at least in these parts.

Back over to Turville Heath, in an attempt to improve my relationship with (what passes for) hills (around here). Well, at least going up as opposed to going down....

Definitely cooler out there.
Turville Heath in the Chilterns? That's my (and @steverob) neck of the woods. There's Grey's Lane near there which is a short but evil little hill.

Elysian_Roads

Turville Heath in the Chilterns? That's my (and @steverob) neck of the woods. There's Grey's Lane near there which is a short but evil little hill.
One and the same, @Sbudge. Checking the map, I can see I have been up and down Balham's Lane (past Stonor Park), Dolesden Lane and Holloway Lane.

Yet to encounter Grey's Lane which looks to be a bit to the north of the latter two lanes but am building up to the hill that takes you to the windmill from the south, which I think joins up with Grey's Lane.

Finally managed to pass the Barn now when it is open. That, and the quietish lanes, makes for a good practice area.

steverob

Guru
One and the same, @Sbudge. Checking the map, I can see I have been up and down Balham's Lane (past Stonor Park), Dolesden Lane and Holloway Lane.

Yet to encounter Grey's Lane which looks to be a bit to the north of the latter two lanes but am building up to the hill that takes you to the windmill from the south, which I think joins up with Grey's Lane.

Finally managed to pass the Barn now when it is open. That, and the quietish lanes, makes for a good practice area.

It is worth pointing out that the Grey's Lane climb isn't actually on Grey's Lane - bear with me here, it does make sense eventually!

It's actually a road called Ashfield Barn Road, but for ages it didn't have a road sign up at the junction (and I think it still only has one at the top, not at the bottom) and Google / OpenStreetMap both had it as "unnamed", so when Strava automatically created a segment of the climb (something they used to do), it picked the name of the next nearest road as the correct one, which is Grey's Lane. And because Strava is the go-to resource for everything cycling, it means that now everyone knows it as the Grey's Lane climb whether it is or isn't!

The *actual* Gray's Lane (turns out that one is spelled with an "a") is about half a mile further north on the other side of Ibstone village and is a dead end according to StreetView, although it looks like it becomes a bridleway at the end of the road bit.

Last edited:

Elysian_Roads

It is worth pointing out that the Grey's Lane climb isn't actually on Grey's Lane - bear with me here, it does make sense eventually!

It's actually a road called Ashfield Barn Road, but for ages it didn't have a road sign up at the junction (and I think it still only has one at the top, not at the bottom) and Google / OpenStreetMap both had it as "unnamed", so when Strava automatically created a segment of the climb (something they used to do), it picked the name of the next nearest road as the correct one, which is Grey's Lane. And because Strava is the go-to resource for everything cycling, it means that now everyone knows it as the Grey's Lane climb whether it is or isn't!

The *actual* Gray's Lane (turns out that one is spelled with an "a") is about half a mile further north on the other side of Ibstone village and is a dead end according to StreetView, although it looks like it becomes a bridleway at the end of the road bit.
Cheers, @steverob. I did wonder about the other lane appearing to be a dead end on both OS and Google maps. Will go for a look next time I am up that way.

Well put Steve, good catch.

Cheers, @steverob. I did wonder about the other lane appearing to be a dead end on both OS and Google maps. Will go for a look next time I am up that way.

One thing worth noting is that there is a limited 'season' for that climb. Once it starts getting too wet the top (and steepest section) gets very muddy and pretty unpleasant. Trying to get up >20%, on a bend, on a poor surface, that's covered in stones and mud, can be a bit horrid.

I ride those hills most weekends so happy to take you on a 'tour' of the nicer (!) ones whenever you fancy it. Steve is your man for the area to the west and north of Aylesbury, he knows it much better than me. It's a great place to ride.

kipster

Guru

the stupid one

Über Member
Phew. August didn't offer many opportunities to get out, the bank holiday weekend was rubbish, I slept very badly last night, and Mrs the stupid one got home later than she was expecting, but I got out this evening at about twenty to seven. My legs did OK, but my core, such as it is, has weakened even more after a month of no long rides. First time out for the Aldi helmet light I bought many months ago. I felt very visible. I didn't fancy taking on the Wirral Way or Landican Lane on the Triban in the dark so I stuck to the roads on the return leg, only to find that I was about 3 km shy of the fifty. Found a nice long straight road to trundle up and down, checked the bike computer as I passed beneath a streetlight, saw 50 and went home, then forgot to check the accurate figure in the garage. Never mind.
My left cleat moved a few mm early on. It's VERY noticeable, isn't it?!
A good ride, I enjoyed it.

gavgav

Guru
Made it.....just!! After the month from hell in virtually every sense you can imagine, at last a day off and the weather came together and I was able to get out early, before my main plans for the day and have a ride with @Rickshaw Phil :okay:

Glorious sunshine. Cold to start but warmed up nicely.

1A99A5BE-9392-42F1-BE9F-5FE7C7DE8091.jpeg

1C99FF59-E55B-4A53-989D-7021FD81AEBF.jpeg

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Made it.....just!! After the month from hell in virtually every sense you can imagine, at last a day off and the weather came together and I was able to get out early, before my main plans for the day and have a ride with @Rickshaw Phil :okay:

Glorious sunshine. Cold to start but warmed up nicely.

View attachment 427729

View attachment 427730
Brilliant @gavgav ^_^ you had me worried I thought we were going to lose an original finisher . Hopefully things are on the up for you and your family . Thanks to @Rickshaw Phil for giving you a nudge hope you didn't mind

Top Bottom