The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another metric ton with the Leicestershire CC forum lot, a cool ride up to the Tour of Britain KOM line at Keyworth plus a cruise up to the utopia round these parts that is Nice Pie Cafe!

Not really seen the rain that was forecast although the road was wet enough in places to warrant another bike and chain cleaning session.....joy!

62.3 in 3:50.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1827360774

View attachment 429069

Nice Pie Cafe? Yep, sounds like heaven!

Another Tour of Britain link for me too this weekend. Took part in a 'public' ride of the Central London course on Sunday. About 300 of us riding like loons on streets that are normally solid with traffic. Great fun flying through Piccadilly Circus at speed. They only let us ride it for an hour so I had to add on some Regents Park to make up the 50km. All in all a very different 'half' for me.

Nice Pie Cafe? Yep, sounds like heaven!

It really is! Thing is, the one thing it’s famed for is the one thing I haven’t had yet.....

...the homemade pies!! The prospect of riding home with a belly full of pie chips n peas never sits well. Gonna have a trip out with Mrs D I reckon.

Your effort through the smoke sounded like fun! Closed roads too? We did the KOM stage on Saturday which was very tame indeed by racing standards.

It really is! Thing is, the one thing it’s famed for is the one thing I haven’t had yet.....

...the homemade pies!! The prospect of riding home with a belly full of pie chips n peas never sits well. Gonna have a trip out with Mrs D I reckon.

Your effort through the smoke sounded like fun! Closed roads too? We did the KOM stage on Saturday which was very tame indeed by racing standards.

Yep, completely closed and placarded roads. Regent Street, The Strand, Whitehall, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly and Haymarket. Overall a 5.5km circuit. Not every lap was uninterrupted though as they did occasionally stop us to let folks cross over the road but I got a few clear runs.
20180909_133203.jpg

Yep, completely closed and placarded roads. Regent Street, The Strand, Whitehall, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly and Haymarket. Overall a 5.5km circuit. Not every lap was uninterrupted though as they did occasionally stop us to let folks cross over the road but I got a few clear runs.
View attachment 429510
Brilliant!:okay: Looks like something from my Zwift training session....:bicycle:

the stupid one

Über Member
Last minute shift cancellation this afternoon means I got paid to go for a ride. It was a typical local 50-ish route with the addition of Strava (Mrs the stupid one passed me her old iPhone, so why not?). Bike computer says 60.8, Strava says 64.32. Hmmm. Perhaps those laps of the carpark while the level crossing gates were down confused it?

Coffee and bara brith at 43 km. Lovely.

Elysian_Roads

First bike ride in September and we are already on the 12th. A ride over to Decathlon in Reading to browse seasonal stock for both the Triban and me.

Then when back home and adding up my August rides, I realised I fell just 2km short of doing 300km. That would have been a nice number to post (should have done that math back in August!) Never mind.

Safe riding all.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Septembers done with a 100.4km ride down to Brixworth

Blaby - Countesthorpe - Wiloughby Waterleys -Ashby Magna - South Kilworth - Cold Ashby - Thornby - Naseby - Creaton - Brixworth- Creaton - Sibbetoft - Clipston (almost) - Marston Trussel (almost) - Theddingworth - Saddington - Fleckney - Arnesby - Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby
First longish ride for a while but enjoyable.....

aferris2

Guru
Weather looked good today so decided to make the most of the sunshine. Hadn't planned a route so wasn't sure what distance I would do today. Decided to head towards Danbury then up to Witham and then Braintree. Had to look at the map to see how I could avoid the A131 because it's too fast and it was into a quite gusty headwind. Decided to head down to Boreham then home. The road into Boreham is the route that the Police traffic cars (and the plain-clothed ones) use so you can usually expect best behavior by our tin-top pals. Not today! First a Volvo towing a trailer forced a Horse lorry nearly off the road, then the small hatchback behind forcing the on-coming car to take avoiding action. The police BMW following several cars back decided to have a word with both of them as I discovered at the T-junction half a mile down the road.
Had to do a bit of a detour just before home. Road was closed because of re-surfacing. Not the normal kitty-litter, but what looks like a proper layer of tarmac. Had a look on roadworks.org and it is described as "Micro surfacing" so it will be interesting to see what it turns out like when it's all done on Tuesday.

The three of us are in for September.
the 1st was Stig's first birthday so he did a 50km ride to Deepdale and his favourite café stop, where he is now very well known and spoiled with treats.
couple of photos from that ride to follow:
2nd we did a 50miler in the Tandem.
9th an Imperial century on our first (and almost certainly last) sportive on the Tandem.
15th a metric century on the Lincolnshire Wolds Audax.
So a full set!
Stig has had a couple of lean months cycling wise as he had 'the op' but should still pass the 1000mile mark for the year this month!

DSCN0332 (1024x768).jpg DSCN0337 (768x1024).jpg
Stig on his birthday ride to Deepdale.
41437853_2182440972036185_9221885926630752256_n.jpg
us at the finish of the sportive.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another qualifying ride today, but it's definitely chilled off a bit hasn't it? :cold:

Signed up for this next month: https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/wiggle-ay-up-yorkshire-sportive/ (standard route / 55 mile) so that should cover the October ride off for the challenge.
Hopefully the oft mentioned "Indian Summer" will have arrived by then, although I'm sure the climb out of Kilburn up past the White Horse will warm me through regardless...^_^

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
1 weekend to go warning time again . We have 30 riders fully posted and 3/4 of the way there :thumbsup:. That leaves 8 riders yet to post so a nudge for @Domus ,@Ice2911 ,@kipster ,@Slick ,@slow scot ,@al3xsh ,@fatjel and @tallliman ( who I now has done a qualifying ride as I was there but not official until recorded :okay: ). Once again well done everyone :notworthy: The finish line is slowly appearing in the distance

Domus

Guru
Getting very close this month but managed it. Been soooo busy (and worst cold in the history of the world)
I am spannering for a very amateur race team, we do Citroen C1 endurance racing and had a small window between qualifying on Saturday and racing on Sunday I took my bike up to Croft and programmed the Garmin for a 50 K circular. Big mistake, my settings must involve find me the worst, muddy, stony bridlepaths in the area and join them together. Had a coffee in Darlington then just headed for Richmond by some quiet lanes, when it went cold turned around and went back to Croft having sneaked over the line with 57 Kms. Phew

Anyway, finished in P7 out of a field of 34 cars, no mechanical issues and no driver penalties.

Not as satisfying as three weeks ago when we finished P4 out of 53 cars for 24 hours at Rockingham. :dance:

Top Bottom