The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kapelmuur

Veteran
I would have had a ride today, but bikes aren’t allowed in Venice.

Can anyone beat this excuse?

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
October's done nice an early another day off work so a cheeky 32 miles squeezed in after family jobs and errands were done . Out up the Wreake valley over the A607 to the rolling terrain around Gaddesby then back up the wreake valley back home still in shorts and shirt sleeves lovely day for a ride .Legs felt ok after yesterdays imperial ton . Not much planned for tomorrow :rain: is forecast

the stupid one

Über Member
I was debating whether or not to cycle to work this morning, and had pretty much decided not to when the office called and cancelled my shift. Magically, my legs felt much better and I decided to grab October's 50 km ride. Loaded up the biscuits and drinks, pumped up the tyres, tickled Strava into action, and set off.

All went well to begin with. A bit breezy, but in the right direction for a while, reasonably warm, and a big spring tide made for an exciting ride along the coastal embankment and the riverside paths along the Mersey. I stayed pretty close to the "official" Wirral Circular trail between New Brighton and Eastham Ferry because I was in no hurry and the views were good.

Then I realised I was missing a dropped kerb I should have gone up, turned too late, hit the kerb and blew the front tyre.

Properly blew it, too - a ragged tear about 6 cm long. I picked myself up off the floor, assured the concerned woman nearby that I was OK, and considered my options. I have some toothpaste-tube tyre-boots in the saddlebag, but forgot all about them, and I'm not sure they'd have helped much. Mrs the stupid one was off work, but having lunch over in Liverpool. My emergency note was only a fiver. Hmmm. Happily, my sister was not only off work for the week, but also only about ten minutes away, and with the back seats of her car already flattened. She took me to K Cycles in Eastham, who removed the ruined Conti 4000 and replaced it with a Gatorskin (no 4000 in stock, or maybe I was being a cheapskate, or possibly both). Sis took me back to Eastham Ferry, and the ride was back on.

It was great, too. A few laps of the station carpark to take me over 50 miles, and now it's time for a shower.

Attachments

• RW50.jpeg
    RW50.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 40

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
October's done yesterday - 107Km Blaby - Wigston - Newton Harcourt - Ingarsby - Marefield - Owston - Somerby - Braunston - Launde - Tugby - Goadby - Glooston - Cranoe - Wellham - Great Bowden - Foxton - Saddington - Fleckney - Arnesby - Peatling Magna - Blaby

started off quite chilly - cycle computer told me it was 0C - guess summer has finally gone....

lane

Veteran
Blimey my October ride was the hardest of them so far. Absolutely no idea why. At the end of August I did a 100 mile ride no issue at all. Fast forward to yesterday, after a short layoff of three weeks or so and some sort of virus, seem to be fully recovered, but my 63km effort yesterday seemed massively hard and slow. The ride wasn't flowing at all. Felt OK today other than for some reason sore hip and shoulder. Also HR this morning elevated about 10bpm. Hope it gets easier because not happy with that at all.

Other than that, didn't start until 11.30 when it had warmed up a bit, and it was a great day for a bike ride.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
October's done.
A day off work yesterday so went out on the bike while Mrs B went to art classes. I know I regularly ride to Tatton Park, but the increasing number of deer seen alongside the through roads as the height of the rut approached, made me think I was in for some fine sights. And the warning signs about the deer at the entrance raised my hope too.
Not a single deer, male or female, was seen . :cry:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
No cycling today, thanks to a forecast for monsoon like rain and 45mph+ winds on the BBC meaning I committed to other stuff.

The rain passed in an hour or so this morning and was light and patchy and while it has been windy, it's been nothing like 45mph - maybe half that, which is still too blooming blowy to go out in. :dry:

Part of the reason for committing to other stuff today was that the BBC were forecasting a dry and less windy day tomorrow, which has now changed to "heavy rain" throughout daylight hours. :dry:

Lets hope they've got that wrong as well.
Kudos to anyone who got our today. :okay:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
January: 4 rides, 6 points
February: 4 rides, 6 points
March: 2 rides, 5 points
April: 4 rides, 8 points
May: 3 rides, 5 points
June: 5 rides, 12 points
July: 5 rides, 14 points
August: 5 rides, 11 points
September: 4 rides, 7 points
7th October: 36.06 miles - Did a test lap of the cycling part of a local duathlon I'm planning to do next year, followed by a fairly easy rolling hill route to get me past the 50km mark - https://www.strava.com/activities/1890304866 - 1 point
10th October: 78.71 miles - A ride down to Windsor; currently the furthest south I've ever gone on a ride that started and finished at home. Also my longest ever October ride by some margin - https://www.strava.com/activities/1896337535 - 3 points

13th October: 42.07 miles - A birthday ride where I did a mile for every year (honest!). Stayed off the main roads cause that wind had the potential to be lethal when head or cross - https://www.strava.com/activities/1902507567 - 1 point

Total so far: 79 points
A belated happy Birthday .you now that challenge gets harder each year

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
A very wet 100km today . Had arranged a Forum ride today . Most people had bailed due to various issues , but 1 nutter hadn't bailed so headed to meet point and sure enough @Lilliburlero was there he's as madder as me he'd already done 47 miles and was going for an imperial ton . Completed the route headed home needed another 20 miles for a metric ton . What the heck I'm already out and wet so just got it done .62.3 miles in the rain not pleasant

aferris2

Guru
Half term probably means the last full week of October is out as far as cycling is concerned, so I had to do a ride this weekend. Wimped out yesterday because of the wind. The forecast for today looked much better even though it was a bit colder. I check on the weather this morning and the early moring shower has turned into rain just about all day. There did look to be a small window of relative dryness mid morning so I went for it. 52 miles done, of which the first 30 were dry. The remaining 22 just got wetter and wetter. Well it's done now. Only 2 more to go!

Slick

Guru
Quite a grey start to the day but after a few days of wind and rain I knew it was as good as you were going to get.
I had a bit of brain freeze and couldn't decide which way to go, so eventually just got on the bike and peddled and soon found myself on my cycle to work route, which was handy as I pass a lovely wee cafe at the back of the airport for the taxi drivers and I've been looking for an excuse to go in.:shy:
I came back a wee circular route through Inchinnan and Renfrew and up the Hurlet bringing me into Barrhead and homeward. Not the best loop if I'm honest, wasn't much better for traffic than a weekday, but there was no wind to speak off and the sun came out making it a beautiful day and well worth the effort. 55k in all and another point in the bag. :becool:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Quite a grey start to the day but after a few days of wind and rain I knew it was as good as you were going to get.
I had a bit of brain freeze and couldn't decide which way to go, so eventually just got on the bike and peddled and soon found myself on my cycle to work route, which was handy as I pass a lovely wee cafe at the back of the airport for the taxi drivers and I've been looking for an excuse to go in.:shy:
I came back a wee circular route through Inchinnan and Renfrew and up the Hurlet bringing me into Barrhead and homeward. Not the best loop if I'm honest, wasn't much better for traffic than a weekday, but there was no wind to speak off and the sun came out making it a beautiful day and well worth the effort. 55k in all and another point in the bag. :becool:
The sun !! I would have loved to see it today the weather certainly varies across the country

Top Bottom