The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
The only time I ventured out yesterday was to walk the dog who looked disgusted at the mere thought. :smile:
We got that weather today

A bit late to the dance this month, but finally off the mark with an eventful 58 mile club run in beautiful sunshine up to the Love and Piste cafe at East Leake near Loughborough.

Report to follow soon.

https://strava.app.link/yCSbv6FicR

449C7F57-F4D5-41D8-B2CE-2B580CE7147E.jpeg

Last edited:
@Chris Doyle, how is that cafe? It's too close to home to visit!

I'm out of the challenges this year due to illness. Disappointing but I'll be back!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Out again on the Boardman this morning to take advantage of another dry and sunny day.
bit chilly first thing and my sadly out of condition legs felt like lead as I wended my way up Coal Road, but I kept with it and found myself heading for Shadwell via the A58 and Whin Moor Lane.
Spotted a dog walker in front, walking away from me, so rang the bell as I approached - nowt, rang the bell again, this time the dog looked round, nowt from the one on the other end of the lead. Moved as far to the right as I could, slowed down a fair bit and said "Morning!" at which point she jumped about 3 feet in the air! No harm done though.
Through the village and up to Slaid Hill lights which were on green (I've noted this on my calendar), so right, through the dip and up onto Tarn Lane along the ridge to Ling Lane where the recently resurfaced bits are lovely and smooth and the bits in between aren't.
Back out onto the A58 for over a mile of descending to Bardsey, where today there were more temporary lights, but I hit these at green too and was able to carry all that lovely speed through them and up to the lights at East Keswick which were on red. Oh well!
More generally downwardness to Collingham, a dogleg and over the bridge into Linton where the motorised moron of the day gave me a ridiculously close pass on the climb up from the bridge in her two tone Fiat 500.
Anyway, the lumps of Linton were dispatched and right for the road into Wetherby, where I cut through the town centre and down to the Wilderness park for a quick bite to eat and a couple of pics:
View attachment 434849 View attachment 434850
The more eagle eyed of you will notice that my saddlebag is making a bid for freedom in that top pic. I didn't notice and wondered what was wobbling about on the steep climb out of the car park. An easy fix at the top of the ramp but thanks to the Velcro for doing it's job round the seat post and preventing it falling off..

Anyhow, over the A1(M) bridge and out past the racecourse, then the first turning down to Thorp Arch, over the bridge and up into Boston Spa, where a wiggle along the High Street saw me to the Clifford Road which took me, oddly enough, to Clifford.
A bit of up through the village is rewarded with a descent down into Bramham, which is then punished with a climb back out of there.
Over the A1(M) again and more climbing up past Bramham Park , before taking the right before Wothersome and heading out through the lesser of the dips and more climbing (into the wind now as well) to Milner Lane.
Past Hetchell Woods where a group of at least 20 very friendly MTB-ers were getting ready to set off, then the descent off the ridge and slight climb into Thorner. My legs were grumbling again now, so I abandoned any remaining idea of a metric half and took Carr Lane as the least worst climb out of the village up to the A58, then Coal Road and local roads down to home.

26.85 miles (43.2km) in 2h 6m at a leisurely average of 12.7 mph with 1,410 feet climbed and an average temperature of 11.7°C

It's all good, and despite quite a stiff breeze it was a fair bit warmer than yesterday. Lots of cyclists out too, in addition to that large group on MTBs.
I've noticed on downloading the ride that today's ride puts me past 3,000 total miles on the Boardman so I'm quite chuffed with that.

And to end, the map:
View attachment 434848
26.85 that deserves an informal warning for not completing a metric half :okay:

@Chris Doyle, how is that cafe? It's too close to home to visit!

I'm out of the challenges this year due to illness. Disappointing but I'll be back!

Yeah it’s pretty good, was quite impressed with the service and the quality of food and drink on offer. Not a massive amount of seating inside but as the weather was so good we sat outside where there is quite a bit more seating. That said, I didn’t see round the other side so there could’ve been more seats, I don’t know. Yeah it’s quite close to you but so is nice pie, which we rode straight past btw!

Sorry to hear your setback mate, here’s to a speedy recovery :okay:

Last edited:
Yeah it’s pretty good, was quite impressed with the service and the quality of food and drink on offer. Not a massive amount of seating inside but as the weather was so good we sat outside where there is quite a bit more seating. That said, I didn’t see round the other side so there could’ve been more seats, I don’t know. Yeah it’s quite close to you but so is nice pie, which we rode straight past btw!

Sorry to hear your setback mate, here’s to a speedy recovery :okay:

Cheers dude! Good willpower for not stopping at Nice Pie!

Ice2911

Über Member
7thJan Norwich Salhouse loop plus club ride from Norwich to Walcott plus the Salhouse loop again 65 miles

11thFeb
Loop, 53-11 club ride toMattishall, loop and finish withEastern Avenue. Very Windy. 62 and a bit miles 100km

25th March, just in time, Norwich Salhouse loop, then a club ride to Guist and back 67 miles or 108km Saved ride in two parts at coffee stop. Good to be out with the sun shining and drier roads :smile:

6th April with HOGOTS loop from Hethersett and home. A windy 62 miles.

May 6th
Tour de broads, 102 miles. Not the last to post this month :smile: 1 hr 15 minutes faster than last year.
Beautiful sunny day but a little blowy especially last 12 miles.

3rd June
Home to Holt and back, 62 miles

24th July 50 km with 53-11 social ride including a beer stop :smile:

3rd August a very hot MTB ride to Whitell and back on Mariotts Way 50km and yet another p*******!

September half century a Ranworth loop made special as it was my wife’s first metric half century ever. She has completed 281/300 miles for the ride 300 for cancer research in September starting from a baseline of zero and not having ridden a bike for 12 years

23rd October off road ride with my OH to Whitwell. Glorious day :smile:

Attachments

• F8A3D1D5-7556-40CE-8B0D-E49C263FEA79.png
    F8A3D1D5-7556-40CE-8B0D-E49C263FEA79.png
    45 KB · Views: 36
Top Bottom