The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
Up in Grange for a few days so with the weather due to change for the worse took the opportunity to ride to Silverdale for a nice BLT. Drizzle and wind most of the day but fabulous rainbow at Arnside. The wind was against on the return so was quite weary when I got back to Grange.
Maybe the last ride this year for the summer bike. Bring on the ally bike with mudguards.

Domus

Guru
IMG_1211.JPG Viaduct from Arnside.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Apologies a bit late this month but last weekend warning !! .We have 30 riders fully posted . Unfortunately 1 declared faller in @tallliman due to health issues . So nudge time for @cosmicbike ,@Elysian_Roads ,@kipster ,@RealLeeHimself ,@slow scot ,@al3xsh and @fatjel . Ive not had time to double check the challenge thread so if any of you have already posted I might have missed it just let me know .
Well done everyone only 2 more to go the finish is in sight :wahhey:

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Apologies a bit late this month but last weekend warning !! .We have 30 riders fully posted . Unfortunately 1 declared faller in @tallliman due to health issues . So nudge time for @cosmicbike ,@Elysian_Roads ,@kipster ,@RealLeeHimself ,@slow scot ,@al3xsh and @fatjel . Ive not had time to double check the challenge thread so if any of you have already posted I might have missed it just let me know .

My bad, completed early in the month but forgot to update the thread boss:okay:

Katherine

Guru

Elysian_Roads

sorry @13 rider. Done last weekend but not yet posted. The distraction of half term!

I was debating whether or not to cycle to work this morning, and had pretty much decided not to when the office called and cancelled my shift. Magically, my legs felt much better and I decided to grab October's 50 km ride. Loaded up the biscuits and drinks, pumped up the tyres, tickled Strava into action, and set off.

All went well to begin with. A bit breezy, but in the right direction for a while, reasonably warm, and a big spring tide made for an exciting ride along the coastal embankment and the riverside paths along the Mersey. I stayed pretty close to the "official" Wirral Circular trail between New Brighton and Eastham Ferry because I was in no hurry and the views were good.

Then I realised I was missing a dropped kerb I should have gone up, turned too late, hit the kerb and blew the front tyre.

Properly blew it, too - a ragged tear about 6 cm long. I picked myself up off the floor, assured the concerned woman nearby that I was OK, and considered my options. I have some toothpaste-tube tyre-boots in the saddlebag, but forgot all about them, and I'm not sure they'd have helped much. Mrs the stupid one was off work, but having lunch over in Liverpool. My emergency note was only a fiver. Hmmm. Happily, my sister was not only off work for the week, but also only about ten minutes away, and with the back seats of her car already flattened. She took me to K Cycles in Eastham, who removed the ruined Conti 4000 and replaced it with a Gatorskin (no 4000 in stock, or maybe I was being a cheapskate, or possibly both). Sis took me back to Eastham Ferry, and the ride was back on.

It was great, too. A few laps of the station carpark to take me over 50 miles, and now it's time for a shower.
Strewth, sounds like a tough day. The 'emergency note' bit hit a nerve here as well.

Someone certainly turned the heating off this weekend. Did a quick 50 miler on Saturday but that wind was a right sod. Mr. Garmin said it averaged 2 degrees for the ride but it certainly felt worse than that in the wind, by the time I got back it had just started to sleet.

I know that in a month or two zero degree rides will be the norm but for now that's cold enough.

Domus

Guru
Epic (for me) ride today, nice and steady along the A6 through Westhoughton to Frederick's for coffee and tea cake, visit to mum's then through Wheelton to Abbey Village and Belmont then in a moment of madness turned right at the Black Dog and up and over to Rivington. Into Horwich for beans on toast then up to the Blundell Arms and downhill all the way home. Last hour or so it went blooming cold.:cold: 77.96 Kms
Almost made 50 miles but not quite, should be up for the 50 mile challenge next year. :training:

Slick

Guru
Epic (for me) ride today, nice and steady along the A6 through Westhoughton to Frederick's for coffee and tea cake, visit to mum's then through Wheelton to Abbey Village and Belmont then in a moment of madness turned right at the Black Dog and up and over to Rivington. Into Horwich for beans on toast then up to the Blundell Arms and downhill all the way home. Last hour or so it went blooming cold.:cold: 77.96 Kms
Almost made 50 miles but not quite, should be up for the 50 mile challenge next year. :training:
Nice effort. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom