The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
oops, we have some posting to catch up on, we have ridden a 50k on the Tandem and Stig will be doing his may 50k this weekend. will have to check what we have posted in the 100k challenge too, rides are done -100k solo and 200k tandem for may.
We will get it sorted when it isn't quite so late.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What can I say, my first 100 miler, FOUR points and a cracking day out to boot. I signed up for Nickyboys Llandudno ride with some trepidation due to the distance, however with his encouragement I managed it and thoroughly enjoyed it.
The weather was kind, the route was interesting, the other riders were friendly and the refreshment stops were first class. My only disappointment was getting to the Rhyl Bike Hub just after the coffee machine was cleaned when I would have sold my soul for some caffeine. Still an incentive for next year.
Well done! You certainly looked pretty comfortable to me in the first half of the ride, before I went off in the opposite direction.

If you fancy another ride in Cheshire, you'd be welcome to join us on THIS ONE on 20th July. Looks like you live not too far from the start/finish in Walkden?

iandg

Legendary Member
Over a week to go but only 1 weekend so update time . We have 35 riders fully posted up for May . Leaving 7 riders yet to post so a nudge for @iandg ,@Rob and Alison ,@slow scot ,@Nomadski and 3 riders who have done a ride but yet to update the challenge thread @cosmicbike ,@Lilliburlero and @tallliman
Well done everyone next month is halfway
Hopefully this weekend. Been busy trucking up and down the A9/M74 shifting belongings between Stornoway and Dumfries.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....

aferris2

Guru
Another metric century done for this month (and also for the Lunacy Challenge).
Only realised when I got back that I should have used a bit more suncream, especially on the knees. On the way out from St. Peters chapel I decided to read the information board so reached for my glasses case - and there was nothing in there! I'd only left them on the beach! I wasn't worried about anyone taking them because it's always deserted. The problem was the incoming tide. A little soggy getting there but I found them. Phew!

Met up with two of my self-proclaimed Saga CC compadres Gaz and Martin for a sunny social down to Fradley Junction Cafe again.

Social, that is, if 30mph chain gangs and chasing down anything that remotely resembled a cyclist in front of us is considered as such!

Met up at Willington and set off at half past 8, with a view to getting back for lunchtime so we could press on with our respective chores later in the day. Sunny and warm throughout, it was a tad blowy but it worked out in our favour as it was against us going and with us on the way back.

Everything was all tickety boo at the beginning- a nice leisurely conversational pace along predominantly flat roads with a few little bumps here and there- until we got to Kings Bromley.

Whilst chatting to Martin I observed we had a “cling on” at the back of us drafting then overtaking as the roads became pan flat. Well this was all that was needed for us three “hounds” to chase down the “hare”... Gaz and Martin started to put the hammer down to overtake him and I was just about holding onto Martin’s wheel as we dropped Mr. Cling On like a stone. Then I got dropped myself as they stretched their legs but I was already full gas and couldn’t quite get the draft benefit!

Turning off into the canalside cafe at Fradley Junction they had ran down a couple more “hares” and I was thankful for a little break!

After a half hour stop in the cafe we set back off and it was more of the same, only this time I was able to keep up with them as we chain ganged it through the quiet, pan-flat back lanes, chasing down more potential “hares” that came onto the horizon.

Before long, and having battled through a very busy Burton on Trent playing Wacky Races with the traffic, we made it back to Willington in one piece where we ended the ride and parted ways.

Just under 54 miles in just under 3 hours.

https://strava.app.link/apAKu2DHYW
https://www.relive.cc/view/2395486243
573D9040-A73B-4621-9092-0D72D2F961FE.jpeg
A9BA973A-A603-4956-A380-587F82F66F79.jpeg
9722AF03-CCC7-4173-8D15-E8AEAF29757D.jpeg
5D89AD09-312F-44F3-ABF6-E81994D4C1B0.jpeg
BA96A0E3-EAE3-48E8-B74F-F7F3B420D731.jpeg
A2C8970C-3C6E-45F0-96A8-0A9E0B71B733.jpeg
05B32557-93BD-413C-AC1C-E81C076DBFB5.jpeg
50339D5B-0D7D-4F7A-BFBC-4FADD8AA9717.jpeg
47BE25B5-01AE-46AE-8911-D6F8C836DE72.jpeg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Probably my last chance to add to this months tally, so I made the most of the nice weather.

A geographical error meant a series of ever decreasing circles near home was needed to get the required mileage, but having already felt the wrath of @13 rider for finishing an earlier ride on twenty-something miles I wasn't risking that again :laugh:
20190525_151345-COLLAGE.jpg

Full details will appear in the other thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Probably my last chance to add to this months tally, so I made the most of the nice weather.

A geographical error meant a series of ever decreasing circles near home was required to get the required mileage, but having already felt the wrath of @13 rider for finishing an earlier ride on twenty-something miles I wasn't risking that again :laugh:
View attachment 467982
Full details will appear in the other thread.
Well done on completing the 50km just :okay: and importantly keeping the thread monitor happy ^_^

bluenotebob

Veteran
Today was a gentle meander west along quiet roads to la Trinité Porhoët. I think I only saw two cars in the first 19km of the ride – more tractors in the fields than cars on the roads. A few kilometres south on the busy D8 then off onto more quiet roads and a N/S traverse of the Forêt de Lanouée. Heavily wooded, shady, gentle gradients – and very quiet. Out the other side of the forest and along more minor roads until I hit the D13 south of Guilliers.

A pleasant three hours on the bike, and it’s given me some ideas for longer rides that take in part of the Forêt.

A couple of photos below of the first part of the ride (photos taken in April on an earlier photo/ride)

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

iandg

Legendary Member
Made it! Been busy all month heading up and down the A9/M74 with van loads of belongings (Done 3 x 600 mile round trips since 10th May). Heading back north on Tuesday for the last load (and bike) and hand over the keys to the new owners on Friday 31st :smile:

Rode out from Dumfries to Shawhead and joined the Kirkpatrick Macmillan Rally 'breakfast' ride to Kier Mill. Had to negotiate a fallen tree en-route (not a common reason for a road block in the Western Isles) and plenty of cake laid on by the Kier Mill Hall Committee.

I then made my own way back to Dumfries via Thornhill, Loch Ettrick and Ae.

Attachments

• IMG_5118.JPG
    IMG_5118.JPG
    312.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5119.JPG
    IMG_5119.JPG
    340.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5120.JPG
    IMG_5120.JPG
    339.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 61122334_10157193974337486_7995382007221714944_n.jpg
    61122334_10157193974337486_7995382007221714944_n.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 16

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl

Domus

Guru
Granddaughter coming to stay for a couple of nights so up early and out at 06.30 to get my last ride for May in. Managed a 40 km yesterday but decided to get in another 50 before the end of the month. Hardly any wind early on but quite cold, had a coffee and bagel in McDonalds in Rawtenstall as the Costa was not yet open, a poor substitute. A good climb up and over Holcombe Hill got me warm again before a chilly descent. The wind picked up as I got into Bolton, the clouds rolled in and the temperature dropped, Bolton Costa provided good coffee and toast with jam. :hungry: Well deserved I thought, it was a wise decision to wear leg warmers as I was quite cold by this stage. That's it for a week or so, a bit of decorating and garden work needs doing according to Senior Management.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Scores at the end of May we have 39 riders fully posted up leaving 3 riders to post @tallliman ,@Lilliburlero and @slow scot . @tallliman and @Lilliburlero both have done rides I know off so still in so just @slow scot I not sure about .
Been out today with @Lilliburlero who is not sure he's going to continue with the challenge , but I've got a month to work on him :rolleyes:. I follow him on Strava and I suspect he will do a metric half anyway so I may keep him in unofficially :ph34r:

Top Bottom