The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
June's done, 168Km Blaby - Wigston - Newton Harcourt - Houghton on the Hill -Ingarsby -Tilton on the Hill - Loddington - Belton - Eyebrooke Reservoir - Stoke Dry - Lyddington - Seaton - Harringworth - Laxton- Blatherwycke - Bulwick - Southwick - Cotterstock - Fotheringhay - Nassington - Yarwell - Nassington - Apethorpe - Kings Cliffe - Blatherwycke - Laxton- Deene - Gretton - Lyddington - Stoke Dry -Great Easton -Medbourne - Nevil Holt - Welham- Great Bowden - Foxton - Gum;ey - Saddington - Fleckney - Arnesby -Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby...phew - got rained on between Gumley and Fleckney….would have gone on to do 200K otherwise ahem...still first imperial century of 2019 and only my second since coming back from a broken hip in 2016 so quite happy!
You don't pick flat routes ,Nevil Holt and Stoke Dry !! . Well done on the imperial ton

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
You don't pick flat routes ,Nevil Holt and Stoke Dry !! . Well done on the imperial ton
Thanks.

A few climbs indeed - not sure I'd have coped if I added in the climb from Launde abbey!

Slick

Guru
My ride was Friday and was really my last chance to get a few miles under my belt before next week's Glasgow Nightrider, which is 100k through the night (obviously) raising money for the British Heart Foundation which has been eye opening speaking to so many people wanting to chip in a few quid because they have been affected to some degree and helped by an awesome charity.

Anyway, I left from work following the cycle path over the Erskine bridge and into Dumbarton which was especially more fun than usual as the dual carriageway was at a standstill due to roadworks in Dumbarton. I met my my brother there and headed on to Balloch following the river Levin passed the great smells of the distillery in Alexandria mixing with the usual groups of walkers, fishermen and other cyclists. We then followed the Lomond path past Duck Bay upto the Helensburgh turn off and then onto the single track road that runs along side the military road over Glen Fruin. From there it's a quite excellent rolling route down to the perfect waters of Loch Long and bang on que the sun came out to welcome us back to Argyll. After a quick pot of tea and empire biscuit in the local tearoom it was a short 2 miles or so on the main road to Tarbet before rejoining the Lomond Path which is just a horrible disintegrating pavement to begin with but as soon as we get onto the remnants of the old road my brother put the hammer down and it was like a 10 mile tt from there to Luss where we were able to sit between 20 and 25 mph for large parts of the run until Luss, which brings us out along a short stretch of quiet road then back on to a very narrow stretch of the Lomond path which is also very rough and in quite poor condition right next to a very busy road which is no fun on a bike (damhikt) so whilst we didn't hang around it was a more sedate pace from there back to Balloch. 8 miles or so later, we were back in Dumbarton where we went our seperate ways and I was back on the cycle path back over the Erskine bridge and safely into Inchinnan after 73 miles.

I was grateful for the opportunity to put some miles on the clock as this has been a poor year for rides of any note although I have done a large number of commute rides which I now rely on to maintain my fitness. I probably should try and change that but there just seems like so many other things to do at the moment.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Had no plans for a 50km this morning . The legs are still feeling last weekends Welsh adventure 230 miles and 17000ft of upness add a 100 miles commuting of which 9 out of 10 rides were wet so my mojo was awol this morning . So rolled out the door with no plan just spinning the legs . Found myself heading on my standard 50km loop to Wymeswold to get a W for the ABC thread so just completed the loop and another point to my total which is now a nice round 100 in all challenges

iandg

Legendary Member
The move from Stornoway to Dumfries is finally complete and I rode my first Audax of the year. A 200km from Galashiels.

IMG_0891.JPG IMG_0892.JPG IMG_0893.JPG IMG_0895.JPG IMG_0896.JPG IMG_0897.JPG IMG_0899.JPG IMG_0900.JPG IMG_0901.JPG IMG_0902.JPG

iandg

Legendary Member
Rode out to meet the Dumfries and Galloway Cycling UK Wednesday Wheelers - a club run Jim but not as we know it (no set start place just a meet up point - make up your own route or ride with others. Apparently it is because D&G covers such a big area and it therefore allows for people who live at different locations to meet up. It also allows for people of mixed ability to form their own groups so that faster riders don't need to stop to regroup. Seems to work really well - over 20 people at the lunch stop.

Domus

Guru
First opportunity since the mildly moist Friday night ride to Blackpool, what with the weather and jobs to do I was champing at the bit to be out.
Woke up to even more rain this morning but it soon cleared thanks to the stiff breeze, so arm warmers and gilet to start but were soon dispensed with when the road from Belmont over to Rivington went upwards after a nice coffee in MK Cycles. :cuppa:

Down Babylon Lane to Adlington then turned to home along the A6, the weather was improving all the time, is summer here?
Back home via Farnworth and Bolton to clock up 56 Kms and another point. Away to Portmerion at the weekend but the weather looks good for Saturday so might just sneak another ride early doors. :okay:

June done.

Left it late but managed to squeeze a quick flat one in to get over the line. Practically pan flat, lots of PRs and perfect conditions made for a rapid ride down to Nuneaton and back. As I’m away next Wednesday this will be the only one I get in for June, so a nice end to an otherwise disappointing month’s cycling.

37.05 in 1:53.
https://strava.app.link/JyAeM1yVHX
https://www.relive.cc/view/2468923020

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
But I wanted to see whether I was on the road to recovery - I’ve got a 100 miler scheduled for next weekend. This weekend I’d definitely have struggled over that distance. Hopefully next weekend will be a bit better.

Good luck for next weekend @bruce1530 you will be fine

Well - I had to call off from the 100 miler.

Nothing to do with fitness - my grandson chose that day to make his entrance to the world!

Top Bottom