The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Just had an awesome time touring the Inner and Outer Hebrides for two weeks, with tent, from Oban. We did a big circular tour from Ardrossan 3 years ago up a lot of the Western Isles to Butt of Ness inc Hebridean Way and back down the mainland west coast, staying in pre booked hostels and B&Bs etc We realised after how lucky we were as if we hadn't made it each day we would have had to abandon, accommodation is so scarce. We had terrible weather but could warm up and dry out each night.

This time we planned three out and backs from Oban, left the car there and did Jura and Islay the first 4 days then back to Oban and out to Mull for 3 days then back to Oban and out to Castlebay on Barra up to Tarbert/North Harris and back for 6 days. Quite a modest 1000km and 10000m route but fully loaded too. The idea was to explore more, camp near the beaches, and by camping it gave us the peace of mind to know we were self sufficient. Still quite tough as the temperatures were very cold the whole trip, a north easterly gale blowing the first week, strong westerly mainly second. Our second week was quite wet, but plenty rain first week too. Luckily it rained mostly overnight and morning so most days the tent went up dry and we had dried off quite well by the time we stopped. Scenery stunning, and surprisingly a good hill ratio overall, even on Outer Hebrides! Highly recommend it but you need to study ferry timetables, food resupply (esp on Sundays) and escape clauses very carefully. also presume winter conditions, I had 4-7 layers on most days, 2 days had bare legs. i don't feel the cold particularly normally!

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
@Cranky Knee Girl Thank you, I'll try and keep the buzz going, but it's back on local roads and trails for me for a while! :huh:
Still, I've enjoyed a couple of rides, catching up with riding buddies that didn't know I was attempting LEJOG, until I reached Scotland, and released my Strava's....

I chatted to loads of cyclists on the trip. Wouldn't it have been great to meet up, and realise we knew each other! :cheers:

And, yes, that wind was brutal, wasn't it!? I really shouldn't have to buy a Woolly hat in June :cold:
7c :ohmy:

Last edited:

Fiona R

@Cranky Knee Girl Thank you, I'll try and keep the buzz going, but it's back on local roads and trails for me for a while! :huh:
Still, I've enjoyed a couple of rides, catching up with riding buddies that didn't know I was attempting LEJOG, until I reached Scotland, and released my Strava's....

I chatted to loads of cyclists on the trip. Wouldn't it have been great to meet up, and realise we knew each other! :cheers:

And, yes, that wind was brutal, wasn't it!? I really shouldn't have to buy a Woolly hat in June :cold:
7c :ohmy:
I wish I had taken full gloves, and we did a dash to Mountain Warehouse in Oban to get winter weight merino base layers to wear at night before Outer Hebs, great bargain in "summer" sale! I kept ribbing OH, as "brutal" seemed to be his word of the holiday. We chatted to a fair few cyclists, more sociable camping than going into B&B bubbles. I need to write it all up now to keep the record, and prolong the buzz ^_^ We did Calgary Bay to Craignure Sat15th, were you a day or two earlier?

Domus

Guru
Fantastic sunny morning in Grange, did my usual circuit of Arnside and Silverdale but added in a visit to Beetham and picked up NCN 6 past a beautiful large country house. Had a coffee and toasted tea cake in the Jazz café in Arnside where I was presented with a glass of water on arrival, without asking, very nice touch I thought. Met up with “Senior Management “ back in Grange for a bacon roll for a late lunch.
All very nice.
This is my third year of the 50 Km challenge. Year one 33 points, year two 58 points, year three, only six months in 50 points so far.
It really is a great motivation.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Closed June out with a final metric half - almost certainly won't have time to do a qualifying ride tomorrow.

It doubles my points tally for the month (to a whopping 2 points), but it's easily the worst June showing I've had since starting this challenge way back in 2016. Still, at least I'm still in the hunt.

It was very warm by the time I got home.

We got out yesterday with Stig for his May 50km, so he is safely if belatedly in. So far we have managed at least one solo, one Tandem and one with Stig, 50km per month.
and one solo and one tandem 100km each month.
in the unlikely event we can keep that up can we have five stars?:laugh:

Well, I knew it! As soon as I opened my gob about how well we were doing, June has been a disaster! Miles are well down, and we have missed our 100km Tandem ride target. (I know there is still a day to go but we have no dog sitter). a combination of one or the other of us having
a. 15 bee stings. - YES FIFTEEN! all at once and all for Alison.
b. a severe asthma attack
c, a cold
kept us off the bikes for much of the month and meant that our only 100km ride yesterday with Stig, was a whole lot tougher going than it should have been, but at least we managed that one.

PeteXXX

Well, I knew it! As soon as I opened my gob about how well we were doing, June has been a disaster! Miles are well down, and we have missed our 100km Tandem ride target. (I know there is still a day to go but we have no dog sitter). a combination of one or the other of us having
c, a cold
kept us off the bikes for much of the month and meant that our only 100km ride yesterday with Stig, was a whole lot tougher going than it should have been, but at least we managed that one.
Hard to give a 'like' for that!!!! :ohmy:

PeteXXX

I wish I had taken full gloves, and we did a dash to Mountain Warehouse in Oban to get winter weight merino base layers to wear at night before Outer Hebs, great bargain in "summer" sale! I kept ribbing OH, as "brutal" seemed to be his word of the holiday. We chatted to a fair few cyclists, more sociable camping than going into B&B bubbles. I need to write it all up now to keep the record, and prolong the buzz ^_^ We did Calgary Bay to Craignure Sat15th, were you a day or two earlier?
I was in Craignure on the 7th.
I didn't post much on CC during the ride, but kept a written diary of the fortnight. Its so easy for bits to fade from the memory on a long jaunt. Well, it does for me, anyway :blush:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
c, a cold
:ohmy: hope Alison is ok now . Still in the

PeteXXX

An earlyish start, well, for me anyway, for a ride around the local villages. It was warm enough for just T shirt and shorts, even at 07:30.. Cloudy, though.
I didn't have much of a plan for a route, but wanted to be at Mountain Warehouse at 10:30 when they opened, to pick up a rucksack I'd ordered.
That gave me 3 hours to play ^_^

I did find a few new lanes of Banbury Lane to ride, and that brought me back towards Bugbrooke and Rothersthorpe. I tried finding a cheeky shortcut through the old police HQ, but it was all fenced off, otherwise I'd have been dead on 10:30.
Once nearing home, I was on 45 miles, so had to add a loop round Sywell (no ice cream van!!!) and then home to get my 50 miles done.

Back for a bacon sarnie and a couple of coffees.
_20190630_124615.JPG

:smile:

Last edited:

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Managed to sneak in another qualifying ride right at the end of the month.
Went out through the lanes with a nice tailwind for the first 20 miles or so, knowing full well I'd have to pay for that later. The way back was across the marshes by Cockerham, with not a speck of shelter in sight and a headwind for the last 20 miles or so. Still, got a good 75 miler in, longest for a while for me.

Fiona R

I was in Craignure on the 7th.
I didn't post much on CC during the ride, but kept a written diary of the fortnight. Its so easy for bits to fade from the memory on a long jaunt. Well, it does for me, anyway :blush:
I make quite copious notes on Strava and an Instagram post each day on tour this time, so I have the basis of a blog to write on dark evenings! only a couple of nights no 3/4G Just wrote up on phone anyway so I wouldn't forget the detail of each day.

bluenotebob

Veteran
June was a strange month – lots of cycling, 51 recorded rides and 981km covered, but only 4 points… other commitments, breadmaking, shower-dodging, avoiding thunderstorms and the intense heat of last week .. late afternoon temperatures around 36/37 degrees. Call me a ‘wuss’ but I don’t like cycling when it’s that hot. So, lots of shortish rides and only a few long ones.

The start of a new month today, and I’m in with a 53km ride mostly on quiet lanes, and along a couple of pretty river valleys (the Ninian and the Léverin). Hopefully I can get more long rides done in July – and more points on the board. If I can’t, I think I might struggle with the Loony Challenge this year.

Just had an awesome time touring the Inner and Outer Hebrides for two weeks, with tent, from Oban. We did a big circular tour from Ardrossan 3 years ago up a lot of the Western Isles to Butt of Ness inc Hebridean Way and back down the mainland west coast, staying in pre booked hostels and B&Bs etc We realised after how lucky we were as if we hadn't made it each day we would have had to abandon, accommodation is so scarce. We had terrible weather but could warm up and dry out each night.

This time we planned three out and backs from Oban, left the car there and did Jura and Islay the first 4 days then back to Oban and out to Mull for 3 days then back to Oban and out to Castlebay on Barra up to Tarbert/North Harris and back for 6 days. Quite a modest 1000km and 10000m route but fully loaded too. The idea was to explore more, camp near the beaches, and by camping it gave us the peace of mind to know we were self sufficient. Still quite tough as the temperatures were very cold the whole trip, a north easterly gale blowing the first week, strong westerly mainly second. Our second week was quite wet, but plenty rain first week too. Luckily it rained mostly overnight and morning so most days the tent went up dry and we had dried off quite well by the time we stopped. Scenery stunning, and surprisingly a good hill ratio overall, even on Outer Hebrides! Highly recommend it but you need to study ferry timetables, food resupply (esp on Sundays) and escape clauses very carefully. also presume winter conditions, I had 4-7 layers on most days, 2 days had bare legs. i don't feel the cold particularly normally!

Brilliant ride, I'm very envious!

Top Bottom