The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, I knew it! As soon as I opened my gob about how well we were doing, June has been a disaster! Miles are well down, and we have missed our 100km Tandem ride target. (I know there is still a day to go but we have no dog sitter). a combination of one or the other of us having
a. 15 bee stings. - YES FIFTEEN! all at once and all for Alison.
b. a severe asthma attack
c, a cold
kept us off the bikes for much of the month and meant that our only 100km ride yesterday with Stig, was a whole lot tougher going than it should have been, but at least we managed that one.

What a horrible month! Sounds terrible, I hope she's OK?

Just back from a very enjoyable and gentle Hebridean Way. We did things a little differently it seems than most. We rode as a small group of people and I'd arranged for baggage transfers from one B&B to the next so we could all ride light, bag-free bikes. It made for a really nice ride.

Weather was mixed, ranging from blue skies and 24 degrees to 30 mph headwinds in the driving rain. All in all though a magical experience.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Just back from a very enjoyable and gentle Hebridean Way. We did things a little differently it seems than most. We rode as a small group of people and I'd arranged for baggage transfers from one B&B to the next so we could all ride light, bag-free bikes. It made for a really nice ride.

Weather was mixed, ranging from blue skies and 24 degrees to 30 mph headwinds in the driving rain. All in all though a magical experience.
Brilliant, I see you were there last week from Strava. The weather was looking great as we got the boat back from Castlebay on Sat 22nd. noticed it's back to 14 degrees with high winds and significant rain now. I'm still there in spirit, Barra/Vatersay/Berneray/Harris especially.

Last edited:
Brilliant, I see you were there last week from Strava. The weather was looking great as we got the boat back from Castlebay on Sat 22nd. noticed it's back to 14 degrees with high winds and significant rain now. I'm still there in spirit, Barra/Vatersay/Berneray/Harris especially.
Yes, definitely need to go back... this time remembering my swimming trunks! :-)

Domus

Guru
Lovely day on Wednesday 3 so set off with the new Elemnt Bolt to follow a "Breadcrumb" route to Costa, threw in a new section to try it out and a deliberate mistake to test the "off route" warning. Very impressed with both aspects. Met up with John to ride home to VERY sunny Radcliffe and we decided to add a loop through Stoneclough to Roma's in Whitefield for espresso and ice cream. All very enjoyable 'till we hit the heavy traffic in Bury.
Summer might just be here. :heat:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Off my my holidays to Cornwall will get my 50 km ride in will I'm there so a bit of climbing to be done . I will have limited internet while I'm there, will check in when I can to check up on you all :ph34r:. Will be back before the end of the month so end of the month reminders will still be good to go if required . Happy riding :bicycle:everyone

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Yes, definitely need to go back... this time remembering my swimming trunks! :-)

P20 Waterproof sunblock! That's what I took :tongue:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
34.5 local miles this morning. I was hoping to be able to stay out longer, but I have domesic chores to do.. :sad:
Never mind.. Happy wife, happy life :laugh:

I still had time for a bacon sarnie stop, though..

_20190706_111531.JPG

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
July's ride done - 58.25 km, so another metric half.
I've got a couple of busy weekends coming up next week and the week after, so thought I'd best make hay while the sun shone.

A bit cool when I set off, then glorious sunshine. I stopped for 5 mins and it immediately clouded over, and then when I set off again the sun came back out. :laugh:

Report to follow in a bit.

bruce1530

Guru
Good ride today, but it’s turning into an expensive cycling weekend....

Yesterday, bought a new (to me) bike. ^_^

Decided not to ride it today, cos it has 23mm tyres, and I had no spare tubes of that size - so out on the old bike.

Planned an 80k route, away from my usual places - so plotted a route on Strava, and plugged in the Garmin to download it.

Garmin started continually beeping, then trying to turn itself off. Looks like the USB connector is damaged.
So Garmin is fine today - cos it was charged - but once that charge drops to zero, it’s a brick.

Headed out, 5 miles, jumped on a train for 20 mins (I have a season ticket, might as well use it!), and got off at Johnstone.

A few miles later, there’s a “twang”. Broken spoke on the front wheel.

Front wheel is now like a Pringle, fortunately it’s disc brakes on that bike.

Pushed on, back roads to Erskine. Over the suspension bridge to the North bank of the Clyde, then followed the cycle path out to Loch Lomond.

Turned at Balloch, quick coffee and bacon roll (nice, but tourist prices!) and headed back towards Glasgow. Once in the city centre, got a train back home.

86k, great ride, good wether, although a bit breezy. One broken spoke, one dead Garmin...

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

Decided not to ride it today, cos it has 23mm tyres, and I had no spare tubes of that size - so out on the old bike.

Planned an 80k route, away from my usual places - so plotted a route on Strava, and plugged in the Garmin to download it.

Garmin started continually beeping, then trying to turn itself off. Looks like the USB connector is damaged.
So Garmin is fine today - cos it was charged - but once that charge drops to zero, it’s a brick.

Headed out, 5 miles, jumped on a train for 20 mins (I have a season ticket, might as well use it!), and got off at Johnstone.

Pushed on, back roads to Erskine. Over the suspension bridge to the North bank of the Clyde, then followed the cycle path out to Loch Lomond.

Turned at Balloch, quick coffee and bacon roll (nice, but tourist prices!) and headed back towards Glasgow. Once in the city centre, got a train back home.

86k, great ride, good wether, although a bit breezy. One broken spoke, one dead Garmin...

That's a like for the ride, not the mechanical / electrical issues. :okay:

Slick

Guru

Mine too. :okay:

Domus

Guru
Out again to visit mum in Chorley on a lovely day in Sunny Lancashire and just realised I didn't write up my Friday night ride. A link to the write up is on the Recreational Rides page and it is very well written. I played a minor part by finding the very tiny piece of wire when it transferred itself from the tyre to my finger.............ouch.
An excellent night out even though it was on "The Dark Side" of the Pennines, I look on it as missionary work :angel:

Martin hinted that he is stepping down as ride leader, if so he leaves some big shoes to fill :notworthy:

The trains for once ran like clockwork and made for a less stressful start than last year.
All in all a very good few days and 2 more points

Top Bottom