The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Planned an 80k route, away from my usual places - so plotted a route on Strava, and plugged in the Garmin to download it.

Garmin started continually beeping, then trying to turn itself off. Looks like the USB connector is damaged.
So Garmin is fine today - cos it was charged - but once that charge drops to zero, it’s a brick.
My old Garmin suffers from that problem, but I came up with an effective technological fix...

Edge 500 dodgy connector fix.jpg

:okay: :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
PS It does actually work!

Off the mark for July.

Fresh legged after my Mexican break, and a failed attempt at a metric ton due to heavy rain notwithstanding, I managed to get out on a fairly flat route through northern Leicestershire. As I’m off to France next weekend to take part in L’Etape du Tour, I figured a cheeky little bit of climbing might be in good order so I embarked on a three-mile climb out of Loughborough towards Copt Oak, not the steepest but just long! These are the climbs I’ll be doing next week so I better get used to it! Needless to say, this shaved a little off my otherwise fairly quick pace.

32.7 in 1:53.
https://strava.app.link/9DdzCClueY
https://www.relive.cc/view/2518311619

aferris2

Guru
Very glad to get a ride done for July. Spent most of last Sunday in A&E hardly able to breathe. They suspect I picked up some kind of virus which just sat on my lungs and made it impossible to do anything. Anyway they pumped me full of antibiotics and fluids and I went home early evening feeling much better. Did a short ride yesterday which seemed ok then aimed for a 10 miler today. Well it felt so good, I just carried on. Got home feeling absolutely fantastic!
Will give it a bit of time before stretching the distance for the lunacy challenge though.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I'm having the same problem that I had in June - 441km covered so far this month, but only 2 points. @Domus is racking up points like John Spencer on a good night, but I'm not.... memo to self: do some long rides and stop whinging.

Today's ride was a replica of the ride I did on 29 May - a big loop taking in a few busy roads, but mostly quiet ones, a section of our local Voie Verte, and a visit to the wonderfully-named Cantomheuc. For some reason, today's ride was 180 metres shorter but two minutes longer. It took longer because I stopped and backtracked having spotted a brand-new pair of pliers lying by the side of the road - I gave them to a neighbour this evening: I told him they fell off the back of a tractor, hahaha.

Domus

Guru
racking up points like John Spencer on a good night,

I live near the Radcliffe Tram Station and it was very sad to see John Spencer shuffling along to the tram in the last few years of his life.

My dad was a big snooker fan and took me to an exhibition match in Bury when I was a young teen. The new World Champion was playing in a working men's club against some unknown kid from Northern Ireland, Alex Higgins, you could hardly see the table for all the cigarette smoke. :wacko:

He was a very unassuming man, never heard a bad word said about him. :notworthy:

bluenotebob

Veteran
He was a very unassuming man, never heard a bad word said about him

I always thought of John Spencer as one of the 'good guys' of snooker. I expect that someone like Ronnie O'Sullivan makes more from one exhibition match than JS earned throughout his professional career - but I'm sure that he would have accepted that as 'life' and just have been pleased that snooker had become a much more lucrative profession ... and moved on from the dingy, smoke-filled rooms that you mention.

Talking of things moving on and getting better … it looks as though there's finally some good news coming out the Reebok/Macron/whatever it's called these days. With the first fixture just over three weeks away, perhaps they will be able to field a full team and at least part of the subs' bench .. I feel optimistic for the first time in years.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
went out for a trundle to get a couple more letters for the towns and villages thread. Managed to pick up N, O and P all in a 44 mile ride. Lovely day for it as well. Thats me on the board for this month anyway.

Domus

Guru
Bolton Ironman on today so my usual hunting grounds are all either restricted or closed. RWGPS called in to sort a route, loaded up to the Wahoo and off I went. Up to Edenfield, too early for the cafe, up and over to Rochdale via Owd Betts and then some new to me roads through Castleton and Birch.
Very impressed with the Wahoo it got me home with 54 Kms done. and another point in the bag.

Last edited:
Squeezed another point in today riding round the familiar territory of Market Bosworth meeting up with a friend and fellow Zwift rider who lives fairly locally.

Drizzly to start but warm throughout, the weather gradually improved as the morning wore on and we winged it with the route, just taking whatever roads we fancied, which were dead flat. Any climbing done was only by getting to and from the meeting point in Bosworth.

Another very pleasant ride with a good friend. 40 dead in about 2 1/2 hours.

https://strava.app.link/ehOo2OlekY

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru

Domus

Guru
Took the car in for a service to Bury early this morning, put the bike in the back and went out for a ride. NEVER again, mixing it with the young mums on the school run is suicidal, more close passes in 30 minutes than all the rides so far this year. The standard of driving, parking and pulling out was disgraceful. Not until I got past Egerton did things calm down, had to have cake for second breakfast to soothe my shattered nerves. Rest of the ride went fine managed 64 Kms before collecting the car. Should top my last years total points score at the weekend on Colin's Cheshire Ride.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
With wet weather expected, I set of at 08.00 ish to a mate's house to drop a cake off as the rest of the mob are heading over to the Alps to climb mountains and watch a bit of the TdF.
After coffee, we headed round Pitsford Res, him with his daughter in the trailer.. ( good training for him! Lol)
It started raining just after 9, and precipitated it down for the rest of the ride..

Still, it's only water :tongue:

_20190719_122218.JPG

:smile:

Domus

Guru
Well I managed Colin's Cheshire Ride and survived to tell the tale, a later than planned start due to foul weather, jackets off for an hour or so before a short sharp deluge had us taking refuge under very poor trees, in fact they were no protection at all.:rain:
After our jackets dried they were off for the remainder of the day. The wind blew in every direction but the sun shone. A most enjoyable day out and 3 points puts me 2 over my whole 2018 points score.

Top Bottom