The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
Up in Grange for a few days of odd jobs in the caravan. I was such a good boy yesterday, sanding and painting in the very hot sun I earned myself a bike ride.
The Wahoo has given me much more confidence navigating the small Lake District lanes, I programmed in a circular ride to Coniston and return via Hawkshead and the Windermere ferry. Really good ride to Coniston, arriving just in time for elevenses. Hawkshead Hill was climbed (eventually) and I arrived at the ferry just as it left. No problem, time for ice cream. Oh dear, after a long wait it transpired that the ferry would not be returning due to a problem.
Re programmed the Wahoo with the “take me to” app and off I went up a steep hill and a lumpy ride to Newby Bridge. Got back with 70 Kms and over 1200 metres of ascent.
I keep saying it but the Wahoo really is good.

steverob

Guru
Well I've finally managed my qualifying ride! This is the second latest in a month that I've left it - once I did it on the actual last day of the month, but I had a good excuse then, because that was the month after I broke my collarbone and was waiting for it to heal enough.

My excuse(s) this time was down to having been doing more running than cycling (training for an event), then having a mechanical on my bike (so I lost it for a week to the LBS), then finally getting injured after falling while running (bruised ribs) which stopped me doing anything for a week and a half (still sore now, but able to deal with it).

So it was this weekend or nothing, but I didn't fancy going out in the rain, so it looked like it was going to have to wait until Sunday as it was just constant drizzle here all morning. However at about 2pm it started to relent and with the high-ish temperatures, the roads looked like they were drying quite quickly, so I took the plunge at 3pm and hoped that I'd get at least two dry hours - and I did (just!). Kept the route simple and flat so I could cover as much terrain as possible, as quickly as possible. It got really grey and dark in the last five miles, but thankfully I got in before the clouds delivered another shower.

May still go out tomorrow and grab one more point - see how I feel in the morning.

Slick

Guru
I've now updated the main thread to include the mileage from our wee mini break to the Netherlands earlier this week. We had a great time over there, and couldn't believe the infrastructure there for cyclists or the attitude of all the drivers who always check for cyclists, before turning into any junction, regardless of who has priority. Anyone who has cycled over there will already know this, but it never failed to amaze me.

Day 1 was the longest day in the saddle, which is how I planned it and it turned out to be the right decision as it just got hotter and hotter until cycling any distance became really difficult even in the pan flat country like Netherlands. We got off the boat at Ijmuiden and immediately noticed a stiff breeze, and all I could hope for was it was a tailwind, which surprisingly, it was. We did turn straight into it on one particular stretch just as we passed a windfarm, which immediately explained why they erected the windfarm there in the first place as the wind felt like it was channelled straight down this valley where the turbines waited patiently for it to arrive. From there, it was a reasonably straightforward affair into Amsterdam and we arrived in great time, so we took a tour of the city, taking in the canals and the museum district where we stopped for lunch. Mrs Slick was keen to visit the Van Gogh museum but the que was of a size rarely seen at home, so we decided to give it a miss. We made our way on to Utrecht following one of the many cycle paths which turned into something more like a motorway for bikes for a few miles before it came to a complete close due to the fact it was still being built. It sent us round some diversions which took us through housing estates and under and through public buildings and we got lost more than once but we shouldn't have really as the signposting was excellent. We finally got back on track just as the temperature began to rise quite significantly and we were more than grateful to finally arrive at our hotel.

Day 2 started with quite a bit of envy as I stood in awe at the sheer amount of people on bikes of all descriptions on their way to work, enjoying the sun but I did wonder if they maintained that number during the winter months. The run from there to Gouda was probably a bit bland compared to being in the city as the cycle path pretty much runs along side the motorway and there wasn't much to see in the flatlands, but maybe that's because I'm more used to the highlands where the payback for hills is some of the best views in the world. Similar story on the way out to the Hague, with the only real issue was following the signs until we came to a crossroad that wasn't signposted so we chose the route that continued the direction of travel. We probably cycled a further 8k or more before we came across a sign that told us we should be going the other way, which we did, only to come across another sign that told us to go back the way we originally chose. I thought Mrs Slick was going to hit the roof at this point as she was starting to feel the heat but we did have a laugh at the thought of some wee scroat killing themselves watching us go back and forth. Again, we were grateful to arrive at the hotel and we did head straight to the bar at that one.

Day 3 was to be a fairly straightforward quick 50k or so upto Haarlem but again the main cycling route was closed due to upgrading works, which was a bit of a pain as the alternative route wasn't immediately obvious to us but we did eventually manage to work it out which was more urban than any other route we had taken which meant progress was slow as the paths were really busy but it was interesting to see how the Dutch live their lives. This ride will be remembered for the immense heat, which everyone even at home got but I would never normally choose to ride in the middle of the day in temperatures like that and again we were delighted to reach our hotel which turned out to be the best of the lot.

Apologies for the long post, but that is very much the shortened version. ^_^

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
January: 4 rides, 5 points
February: 2 rides, 3 points
March: 4 rides, 8 points
April: 4 rides, 8 points
May: 4 rides, 8 points (becoming a bit of a trend here...)
June: 6 rides, 12 points
27th July: 31.53 miles - Second latest in a month that I've left my qualifying ride! Had to wait for the rain to cease, but eventually got out late afternoon for a simple, flat and relatively easy 50K, just to cross it off - https://www.strava.com/activities/2567743192 - 1 point

28th July: 31.56 miles - Another easy 50km, left until the early evening this time. Uneventful until the last km, when I came off on a muddy cyclepath corner (my own fault, took it too fast). Think I've escaped with just cuts and scrapes though - https://www.strava.com/activities/2570948422 - 1 point

Total so far: 46 points
Quite an eventful month then . Glad your ok

The Bystander

Über Member
I know the definition of "a ride" is fairly relaxed for this challenge but for the purpose of full disclosure, transparency or just not wanting to be accused of cheating, my ride today was actually two rides.

The first was a utility ride to a supermarket to the north of town, then home where I unloaded the panniers and set out on another utility ride to a supermarket to the south of town.

The first was for general groceries from Aldi - the only supermarket locally that has a proper covered bike shelter with decent Sheffield stands (it's rarely full of bikes but often full of shopping trolleys). However they've stopped selling strong bread making flour so I had another journey to Tesco to get some of theirs. 3kg in each pannier should keep me baking for a few weeks.

Each journey is about 15 miles and 12 miles respectively but I extended each ride by a few miles taking me up to 36 (58 km).

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I know the definition of "a ride" is fairly relaxed for this challenge but for the purpose of full disclosure, transparency or just not wanting to be accused of cheating, my ride today was actually two rides.

The first was a utility ride to a supermarket to the north of town, then home where I unloaded the panniers and set out on another utility ride to a supermarket to the south of town.

The first was for general groceries from Aldi - the only supermarket locally that has a proper covered bike shelter with decent Sheffield stands (it's rarely full of bikes but often full of shopping trolleys). However they've stopped selling strong bread making flour so I had another journey to Tesco to get some of theirs. 3kg in each pannier should keep me baking for a few weeks.

Each journey is about 15 miles and 12 miles respectively but I extended each ride by a few miles taking me up to 36 (58 km).
I think that is a very virtuous and ethical ride. absolutely no reason whatsoever to think it doesn't count! Calling in at home to drop off, pick up, have lunch etc is no different to going to a cafe! You were carrying a lot more than most of us on our day rides (none touring ones!)

I've gone from my biggest mileage month ever in June since I started cycling/Strava in 2015 to my smallest ever in July due to family commitments (good ones that I have had to plan for all year re my monthly challenges!) Just squeezed in my 50km in yesterday as a recovery ride, after doing my imperial/200km on Sat! A touch relieved to have made it.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru

Absolutely fine cliam away . Kudos for handicapping yourself by carrying extra weight :training:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After hoping for a ride yesterday, and it being rained off, and family stuff, I got a sunny metric half century in today.

_20190729_191653.JPG

Mainly off road until the traffic died down a bit.

DSC_1814.JPG

Then an ice cream to cool me down...

DSC_1809.JPG

after getting through a nettlefest in the Firs! :ohmy:

Home for a shower, and lunch..

:smile:

Made the most of the sunshine today (maybe the last this week if the forecast is to be believed) to squeeze another point in this month.

Feeling a little fresh having rested for a week after my L’Etape adventure, I set out for a steady one around the outskirts of Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Swadlincote and the lovely South Derbyshire/ NW Leicestershire lanes. Beautiful conditions- not too hot, not too much wind and fairly quiet main roads. I even managed a PR up Pistern Hill breaking the six minute barrier so quite chuffed with that, all the mountain goat stuff is paying off! :laugh:
37.2 in 2:10
https://strava.app.link/nWCV47S3IY

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Seems I have dropped out of the challenge.I did a July ride in County Wexford on my Brommie but it measured up considerably short and no time left. :-(

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Seems I have dropped out of the challenge.I did a July ride in County Wexford on my Brommie but it measured up considerably short and no time left. :-(
That's a shame . I think the summer months with holidays and other stuff always leaves you time restricted . Keep getting out there all good training for next year and feel free to keep posting rides

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Monthly update we have 36 riders fully posted up for July ,4 riders who I'm sure have done a ride but have yet to update the challenge thread in @Katherine ,@cosmicbike ,@Lilliburlero ,and @tallliman . One confirmed faller in @Banjo and one rider I'm unsure of in @demro
Well done everyone
And August first poster on the 1st again is @kapelmuur . Mention of @tallliman who has done a 50km commute to work this morning

Top Bottom