The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
August done, and I've actually put it on the ride thread without a reminder.....

Domus

Guru
Off the mark for August with a two pointer, new route through Tottington which proved not ideal, a long nettle brushed the whole length of my left arm whilst trying to avoid a large patch of sticky mud, which deposited a gloopy mess with imbedded pebble into my rear brake, try finding a suitable stick to poke it out when you need one. :wacko:

With a less than pristine bike and a sore arm, I pushed on into Edgworth and up Green Arms Road for a change, up being the operative word, to the A666 and on to Belmont, more climbing over to Rivington with cracking views to the coast. After Adlington came another new climb up to Blackrod. The Wahoo has a gradient metric on the climbing page, at one point I saw 12.8 % :eek:. Mainly flat after that all the way to Atherton then a long drag up to the A6 at Four Lane Ends, the next climb was up Ringley Road to Whitefield where ice cream and coffee was enjoyed at Roma. Then just a short few Kms to home with 82 Kms and 1100 metres of climbing recorded. Lovely day out.:sun::bicycle:

Off the mark for August for a 2 point ride that was just 300m from being either a 3 pointer or another notch on the metric century post.

I should’ve been doing Ride London today, but having just got back from France and my kitchen extension taking precedence, the hassle and expense of a weekend in the smoke did not appeal and so I have deferred my place to next year.

I received a message from my friend’s hubby Adam late last night asking me if I fancied meeting up to do a ride with him and his mates from his place in Nuneaton over to Fradley Junction. I quickly obliged and drove to his early in the morning, meeting up with the others around 0745 and setting off just after.

All familiar roads over to Fradley with no climbing at all- just the easiest 19mph average I’ve ever done having been towed along by eleven other fellas :laugh:

Getting to Fradley just after 0920 the place was almost empty and so the wait for food was short.

A little climbing was involved on the way back with the main ones being No Man’s Heath and Orton on the Hill, the latter a short punchy number topping out at 15%.

After saying goodbyes to the lads, Adam and I set off back to his house, where I clocked off and ended the ride. I was too hasty however and had I been more observant I’d have seen I was on 61.95 miles or 99.7km before I clicked “end ride” on my wahoo, thus having the choice to pick up the 300m I needed. :ohmy:

Ah well it’s done with now so I’ll take two points and keep myself in the half century for another month at least! :becool:

https://strava.app.link/Fp0EwRg0SY
58EF5F3F-AB8F-40C0-913C-0357DE823410.jpeg

Off the mark for August for a 2 point ride that was just 300m from being either a 3 pointer or another notch on the metric century post.

I should’ve been doing Ride London today, but having just got back from France and my kitchen extension taking precedence, the hassle and expense of a weekend in the smoke did not appeal and so I have deferred my place to next year.

I received a message from my friend’s hubby Adam late last night asking me if I fancied meeting up to do a ride with him and his mates from his place in Nuneaton over to Fradley Junction. I quickly obliged and drove to his early in the morning, meeting up with the others around 0745 and setting off just after.

All familiar roads over to Fradley with no climbing at all- just the easiest 19mph average I’ve ever done having been towed along by eleven other fellas :laugh:

Getting to Fradley just after 0920 the place was almost empty and so the wait for food was short.

A little climbing was involved on the way back with the main ones being No Man’s Heath and Orton on the Hill, the latter a short punchy number topping out at 15%.

After saying goodbyes to the lads, Adam and I set off back to his house, where I clocked off and ended the ride. I was too hasty however and had I been more observant I’d have seen I was on 61.95 miles or 99.7km before I clicked “end ride” on my wahoo, thus having the choice to pick up the 300m I needed. :ohmy:

Ah well it’s done with now so I’ll take two points and keep myself in the half century for another month at least! :becool:

https://strava.app.link/Fp0EwRg0SY
View attachment 478707

@13 rider will shortly be along to administer the telling off for being 300m short I'm sure!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
@13 rider will shortly be along to administer the telling off for being 300m short I'm sure!
Luckily for @Chris Doyle it's short of 100km not 50km or it would have been a official warning :stop:. But as I don't administer the 100km I will just let it go and will remind him constantly when we ride together :laugh:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
You have to be carefull with sites like "map my ride with gps" .It may be because I have an old Garmin Dakota bike gps but the distance on the site allways comes up slightly shorter than the kilometres recorded on the GPS as much as half a kilometer on a 50 km ride. I believe (don't know for definite) it may be to do with the map being flat and not up and down like the real world. Also older gps use less trackpoints so the distance between each cuts the corner ever so slightly.

Others haven't got off as lightly!

So I hear.... I scraped through on a technicality and to be fair to @13 rider he did say he was only too happy to keep reminding me verbally :laugh:

You have to be carefull with sites like "map my ride with gps" .It may be because I have an old Garmin Dakota bike gps but the distance on the site allways comes up slightly shorter than the kilometres recorded on the GPS as much as half a kilometer on a 50 km ride. I believe (don't know for definite) it may be to do with the map being flat and not up and down like the real world. Also older gps use less trackpoints so the distance between each cuts the corner ever so slightly.

Yeah, I’m sure there are many little inaccuracies with various units. It’s not an exact science! For instance my elevation is usually way over what it really should be on my wahoo but I hear it’s quite a common problem with them. I tend to just trust my units for distance......

Top Bottom