The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Since pulling my calf on my Couch to 5K regime about 10 days ago I have not done any exercise, so went out this morning hoping to get a 50 K ride for May. However, my calf was not 100% so baled at 23 Kms. Plenty of time I hope to get at least one ride for May.
Running !! are you mad 5km is much quicker by bike :okay:. Fingers crossed for May but plenty of time

May done.

A ride out to the northern side of Loughborough to get some VV squares was the target today, forming a loop of sufficient distance to get the job done.

Set off at 2pm once all my homely chores were done and dusted. Riding the cube winter bike as the Trek is in the shop having some TLC, however the hours of this being strapped to the trainer and sweat had clearly taken its toll - it would appear that the winter bike is also in need of a little TLC itself, it was grinding like you wouldn’t believe!

Lots of sunshine but also bits of cloud to break it up, I got round the loop in just over 2 1/2 hours, 42 miles to the good.

Domus

Guru
Leg much improved, not 100% so avoided my hilly routes and took the A6 to Heath Charnock, turned for Horwich and took a detour up Babylon Lane to Rivington, through Horwich and couldn't resist the climb up to the Blundell. Calf felt a bit tight so stopped before the top for a photo opportunity at Curly's fishing lake, you can just see the mast on Winter Hill. 51.8 Kms. May done. 👍

aferris2

Guru
May ride done but that seemed very hard work! It's Mothers day in Australia so we had a huge breakfast which hadn't settled properly by the time I started out. Feet were hurting after about 20km because I was wearing thick socks and my shoes aren't big enough when wearing these. Then started to get cramp in my legs. Many stops to try to get things to settle but it only worked for a while each time.
The good news is that the weather was fine. Not too cold, not too windy, and hardly any vehicles on the road. One thing that is special out here though is the countryside. Miles (kilometers) of natural forest with all the smells of eucalyptus and hundreds of birds everywhere. I'm going to miss them when I have to return to the UK. That's not for another 4 months or so (I wonder if I can get an extension to the visa...)

Slick

Guru
May done with my new normal post and security run to work. I also completed a very slow but enjoyable qualifying ride with Mrs Slick yesterday. Can't think of a time when I've ever seen as many cyclists out enjoying themselves as I did yesterday which was great to see, I really hope they keep going when lockdown is over. We mixed our usual route up a little bit, once to avoid a stretch of road that Mrs Slick finds a bit fast but to be honest I always find all the drivers on that particular stretch very good and another twice to get out the breeze which she found a bit chilly out of the sun. All in all, it was a very slow run, but I found a couple of add ons to my usual loop that I think I will keep.:okay:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
My thoughts on the easing of England's lockdown .To save confusion turbo rides will count this month but I would like people to try an get an outside ride in .If people are still unsure about riding for too long for this month only I will accept split rides on consecutive days . Anyone in the 12 week shielding group will qualify for a bye for May as I don't know when the 12 weeks started just let me know .Riders based in Scotland ,Wales if you can't get a ride in due to different regulations please let me know . PM if you want and I will consider options to keep you in the same applies to our continental riders
By June I hope we will back to normal
Stay safe everyone

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well done @gavgav

Got the bike back from the shop yesterday- Di2, new BB and chain fitted and looking/feeling like a different machine. So time to nip out and venture into the world of electronic shifting for the first time! However not until after some late drama- went to install my power meter pedals and in doing so created another problem.
You see, I couldn’t get the left hand pedal off for love nor money (and yes, before you say it I know it’s a left hand thread and yes I was turning it the right way!) Penetrating spray overnight, long bars and the old “persuading tool“ would not shift it! After a bit of heat and elbow grease finally it came out and it transpired that when I installed the original pedal even though it was greased and torqued up correctly it was cross threaded! So because I’m a muppet I now need a new crank arm! Luckily my spare 105 silver one came to the rescue - blending superbly with the otherwise all black look- and business picked up. The mission was to pick up VV tiles along the A60 corridor between Loughborough and Nottingham, route already plotted, and just after 2pm I set off. Regular roads for the first ten miles or so but then at Gotham it was time for some tile grabbing! And the second of which was a good slog along a track to the side of the Old Great Central Railway (moor lane) which, would score highly on the hand arm vibration register!
Once that was out the way and normality ensued, I made my way up to the outskirts of Nottingham to grab another outstanding tile before heading back south along the A60 to get the last ones, including one I stupidly missed last week!
Before long I was back in Loughborough which meant uphill back home for the last 10 miles! Putting my new power meter to good use I was able to pace myself nicely up these hills and before I knew it was home, having done just about 51 miles in 2:52. With 2,000ft of climbing and a seeming headwind in every direction it was definitely quite pacey.

A great ride and 2 points in the bag.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
May done. At 43 miles this was my longest ride outside of sportives. The new bike being quicker I managed this distance in about the same time I used to do 35miles. I need more miles in the legs, and possibly work on my pacing, as past 35 miles I started to struggle, let's hope for good weather during the summer to keep this up.

Report later in the Your Ride Today thread.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It looks like I'm going to be office bound more often than working from home as things start to get back to whatever is considered to be normal which will cut back on the challenge rides. Last week I had Monday off the bike, did 50km+ rides on 4 consecutive days (will be listed at the end of the month) then back to work this weekend. Plus additional 50kms & a 50 miler the previous week.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another 50km on Tour de Turbo to at least get some miles in while lockdown continues. If by some miracle things get relaxed before the end of May then I'll have to endeavour to get out in the real world but let's see how that goes

I got out on the bike today - my first outdoor ride since 21st March :ohmy:

I met up with a friend (socially distanced) and while I enjoyed it, it was hard work and I only did 15 miles. Much as I'd have liked to get a qualifying ride in I just didn't have it in me today.
I've got a day off midweek so might have another try then.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I got out on the bike today - my first outdoor ride since 21st March :ohmy:

I met up with a friend (socially distanced) and while I enjoyed it, it was hard work and I only did 15 miles. Much as I'd have liked to get a qualifying ride in I just didn't have it in me today.
I've got a day off midweek so might have another try then.
Welcome back to the outside . Plenty of time to get a ride in . and you've got your banker turbo ride in

Top Bottom