The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aferris2

Guru
Second ride for April completed although this was more for the Lunacy challenge. Lockdown is beginning to be relaxed here in WA so I wanted to get out before the roads get too busy. Lovely sunny day today so wanted to get out before it starts to get cold. We're heading into autumn so it's only going to get colder from now on. Only 2 other bikes spotted today (and about 7 cars) so it is really quiet here. Need to start heading north to find the warmth again, but it's probably going to be at least a month before were allowed to do that.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
@Rob and Alison .Well done on turbo rides .As Alison is in the 12 week shielding group a turbo ride will be accepted until this period end so May and possible June if you don't have time in June for an outside ride
Is anyone else under the 12 week shielding measures . I will consider byes if you let me know if you can't do a ride on a turbo .
Stay safe everyone

We reckon we bought one of the last available cheap/basic turbo trainers available at the start of lockdown, when we realised Alison is in the shielding group. Having never entertained the idea of one before we weren't confident of keeping up with these challenges, but we rigged up our old Cateye computers to the back wheels and haven't found it too bad at all, so over the last two weekends we have completed the half and metric century challenges for April. Keeping up runs of [now] 43 months half and 23 full metric per month. Sadly though Stig is out as he cant ride the turbo yet.

@Rob and Alison .Well done on turbo rides .As Alison is in the 12 week shielding group a turbo ride will be accepted until this period end so May and possible June if you don't have time in June for an outside ride
Is anyone else under the 12 week shielding measures . I will consider byes if you let me know if you can't do a ride on a turbo .

Thanks for that @13 rider we have got on a lot better than we ever would have thought with the turbo so we should be able to keep up until Alison is allowed to play outside again.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I got about 5 miles into today's ride and realised I'd forgotten my tool-kit. This was immediately followed by remembering I'd spent my childhood cycling everywhere without inner-tubes, tools etc and decided to roll the die and press on.
I'm glad I did, one the better rides I've done.
I was, however, racing the rain towards the end ... :whistle:

P1000477.JPG

footloose crow

Über Member
1 May. 50k (58k in fact) ticked off for May. I did Truro to somewhere east of Truro (near Stithians but I was lost most of the time) to Zelah to Truro.

Thinking about the lunacy challenge for this year. Corona permitting. Have two 100k rides this year at the moment. If restrictions lifted in June would mean 11 rides in six months, roughly one per fortnight. Doable I think.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
When it rains it pours. Or so the saying goes. Well it didn't rain today, but it sure as s**t poured with bad luck.
I'd devised a route to get me a nice 50k ride with change to spare and set off happy as Larry a little after 12pm.
Larry didn't stay happy for long and after only 1 mile having climbed into the moors, I was puking my guts up by the side of the road. I've recently had problems with the cold getting to me and making me ill and today's wind was bloody cold. After cleaning my right arm and glove I set off again towards Belmont, along Stones Bank Road, past Boltons famous dogging spot (I wasn't propositioned) and onto Greens Arms Road into Entwistle.

I keep reading all these lovely reports of car free quiet roads here and farcebook etc. No evidence of that today as every halfwit with a driving license was out using the roads as racetracks.
The next set of events are hazy at best due to fighting low glucose levels, dizzy spells, lack of energy etc.
At about 15 miles I had my 2nd bout of puking my guts up and this one was even more violent than the first. Didn't know the human stomach could hold that much liquid. This one went over my left arm, glove, shoe and handlebar. Lovely.

Some moo cows

Deres de udder moo cows

About a second later, a billion cars seemed to pass me one after the other

Somewhere around the back of Darwen is where more things went wrong. I missed a turnoff. No probs I thought and set to getting the little Garmin to reroute me back to the track I was following. Sigh. Needless to say, I've decided to save up for a Wahoo. I must've spent a good hour riding up and down the same effing hills countless times before the ba**ard finally got to me and I cancelled the rest of the ride.
I rode straight through Darwen towards Bolton on the main road and that pretty much killed any enthusiasm I had for cycling.
But wait, there's more!
As I got to the top of the A666 my arse started to hurt. Then it hurt some more. Then it got damn painful and then it was so bad that I chose to get off and walk for a bit. Walk? I was hobbling at snail pace such was the pain. I tried rolling down the hill towards Greens Arms Road but could barely sit on the bike. Up the other side and finally I thought I could maybe ride with one leg doing the work. Nope. As I rolled off I tried to lift my left leg onto the pedal. I don't think I've ever experienced pain like it before and before I knew it I was on the road in a tangled mess yellig in agony. I just about managed to free my legs and crawled over to the grass verge before I could be hit by a car and just lay there for a few minutes wondering what to do. Called mum to ask if anyone had a car big enough to fit the bike in as it's kinda long compared to some road/race bikes. She'd call me back.
A few minutes later a chap parked up behind me asking if I was ok. He'd seen me earlier and thought I'd been hit or something. I explained my situation and he offered to take me home! He even carried the bike up the steps to my front door for me due to my walking issues. I gave him my last fifteen quid from my wallet wishing it was more and wished him well. Not many people in the world like that.
Jeez I'm in s**t shape. :sad:

2 miles short of 50k. Meh.

Attachments

• IMG_20200502_132901.jpg
    IMG_20200502_132901.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
When it rains it pours. Or so the saying goes. Well it didn't rain today, but it sure as s**t poured with bad luck.
I'd devised a route to get me a nice 50k ride with change to spare and set off happy as Larry a little after 12pm.
Larry didn't stay happy for long and after only 1 mile having climbed into the moors, I was puking my guts up by the side of the road. I've recently had problems with the cold getting to me and making me ill and today's wind was bloody cold. After cleaning my right arm and glove I set off again towards Belmont, along Stones Bank Road, past Boltons famous dogging spot (I wasn't propositioned) and onto Greens Arms Road into Entwistle.
I keep reading all these lovely reports of car free quiet roads here and farcebook etc. No evidence of that today as every halfwit with a driving license was out using the roads as racetracks.
The next set of events are hazy at best due to fighting low glucose levels, dizzy spells, lack of energy etc.
At about 15 miles I had my 2nd bout of puking my guts up and this one was even more violent than the first. Didn't know the human stomach could hold that much liquid. This one went over my left arm, glove, shoe and handlebar. Lovely.

View attachment 519562
Some moo cows

View attachment 519564
Deres de udder moo cows

View attachment 519566

Somewhere around the back of Darwen is where more things went wrong. I missed a turnoff. No probs I thought and set to getting the little Garmin to reroute me back to the track I was following. Sigh. Needless to say, I've decided to save up for a Wahoo. I must've spent a good hour riding up and down the same effing hills countless times before the ba**ard finally got to me and I cancelled the rest of the ride.
I rode straight through Darwen towards Bolton on the main road and that pretty much killed any enthusiasm I had for cycling.
But wait, there's more!
As I got to the top of the A666 my arse started to hurt. Then it hurt some more. Then it got damn painful and then it was so bad that I chose to get off and walk for a bit. Walk? I was hobbling at snail pace such was the pain. I tried rolling down the hill towards Greens Arms Road but could barely sit on the bike. Up the other side and finally I thought I could maybe ride with one leg doing the work. Nope. As I rolled off I tried to lift my left leg onto the pedal. I don't think I've ever experienced pain like it before and before I knew it I was on the road in a tangled mess yellig in agony. I just about managed to free my legs and crawled over to the grass verge before I could be hit by a car and just lay there for a few minutes wondering what to do. Called mum to ask if anyone had a car big enough to fit the bike in as it's kinda long compared to some road/race bikes. She'd call me back.
A few minutes later a chap parked up behind me asking if I was ok. He'd seen me earlier and thought I'd been hit or something. I explained my situation and he offered to take me home! He even carried the bike up the steps to my front door for me due to my walking issues. I gave him my last fifteen quid from my wallet wishing it was more and wished him well. Not many people in the world like that.

Take it easy @Vantage ! Have you spoken to a Doctor something didn't sound right take care of yourself
Respect for attempting the ride normally I would admonish people for failing to complete having got so close but certainly not it this case

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Cold weather/wind is my kryptonite. Its always taken a nasty toll on the old bones.
The pain in the ass I'm sure was a setup issue. I've recently had the suspension seatpost on for rough riding but swapped it over to the rigid post yesterday. Saddle angle/height was probably out.
Plus I'm just in crap shape. There's more knots and twists in my nerves and muscles than a fishing net.
I need a masseuse, a bike fit and a personal trainer......or a new body. Whichever is cheaper :wacko:

View attachment 519562
Some moo cows

View attachment 519564
Deres de udder moo cows

View attachment 519566

But wait, there's more!

Wow, hindsight would certainly say “I’d have turned round and gone home after the first puking spell,” but hindsight’s a wonderful thing isn’t it?
Sorry to hear your ride didn’t go well, but credit to you for getting so close despite it all. More importantly, I’m glad you managed to get home ok and hope that you get well soon.

steverob

Guru
Also did a 50K indoors on Zwift this afternoon, but won't log it in the challenge thread yet - will only do so if I can't get out and do an IRL ride before the end of the month. That shouldn't be a problem usually, but I am a little concerned about the clacking noises coming from the direction of my cassette and the refusal to stay in gear towards the end of a short ride on my outdoor bike yesterday, so hopefully that's not the precursor to further mechanical issues (especially given my nearest open LBS is 7 miles away and up a hill).

Top Bottom