The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
New route today, turned left onto the Grane Road at Holden Wood, headed towards Blackburn, more climbing than I expected and more traffic than I expected. Much better after turning for home towards Crowthorne across the moor. Climbed up to Affetside on the Roman Road, steep ramps :eek: and a poor surface then down into Harwood and climbed up on the road son in law was knocked off on the other week. Lots of bikes out in the sunshine, all solo riders apart from a young couple on mountain bikes. First ride of the year in shorts , long sleeved jersey though, cold toes on the long descents might invest in toe covers :cold:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
New route today, turned left onto the Grane Road at Holden Wood, headed towards Blackburn, more climbing than I expected and more traffic than I expected.
@Globalti has been warning us about the traffic on the Grane Rd for years. I imagine that it got a lot worse since the M65 junction was built? I have a vague memory of riding up the Grane Rd about 30 years ago and I don't remember it being too bad then.

Much better after turning for home towards Crowthorne across the moor.
I like the look of that road but don't fancy the Grane Rd so I will probably never go up there, unless I can find a quieter way of getting to it.

Domus

Guru
Andrew uses that road the other way on his Friday Night ride to Blackpool, totally different in the daytime, views across to Darwen Tower and the road contours the hillside. I recommend it to the House. ^_^
Not sure I will ride the Grane Road again, might go up through Crowthorne to the top then turn around. Will study the map for an alternative. 👍

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes the Grane has become a horrible rat-run since they finished the M65. You often see big HGVs nipping over there despite the 7.5 ton limit and occasionally you see cyclists racing desperately over. In traffic-free conditions it's quite a good ride as it has long fast descents each side.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another 50km ride this afternoon, all within a 5 mile radius of home, which is quite impressive considering how limited I am by the North Sea to the south & east, and the rivers Orwell to the west & Deben to the north east.
Screenshot_2020-04-15 Draw a circle with a radius on a map.png

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
A basic ride to Felixstowe and back. There were a tremendous number of cyclist about - including at least a dozen family groups on what appeared to be new bikes. (Perhaps they've been sitting in sheds somewhere. The bikes, not the families.^_^)
I paused to eat (to off-set the begins of a bonk) and took this.

P1000408.JPG

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
So as expected the UK lockdown has been extended beyond the the end of April . In the interest of keeping as many people in the challenge as possible when something like normality returns I propose April is a bye for anyone who feels they do not want to be outside riding 50kms during the lockdown
Stay safe everyone

steverob

Guru
So as expected the UK lockdown has been extended beyond the the end of April . In the interest of keeping as many people in the challenge as possible when something like normality returns I propose April is a bye for anyone who feels they do not want to be outside riding 50kms during the lockdown
Stay safe everyone
While I don't need the bye, because I did manage a 50km ride at the start of April just riding in loops around my home town, I do fully support this being an option to those who need it.

Even then I'll admit I did feel a little uncomfortable doing that ride, despite only being out of my house for less than two hours (it's surprising how much faster you can go compared to usual when you're only riding on flat, wide, local roads with little traffic) and I can't see myself adding any extra points to my total this month. In fact I've only ridden indoors since then (though that was partially because I had a bad back over Easter) and if I do head out any time soon, it'll be just a quick pootle for maybe 10-15 miles at most.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Set out after lunch with no plans found myself heading to St Bernards Abbey so carried on and completed my standard 50km loop while enjoying the sunshine . Loads of family's out on bikes good to see but it did my the single track lane from Belton to Shepshed at lot busier than normal

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Another new route today, had a cross wind all day, through Rawtenstall to Dunnockshaw then turned up Crown Point Road towards the Singing Ringing Tree, yes it is a thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singing_Ringing_Tree_(Panopticons)
Down to Lumb and Newchurch and back home through Ramsbottom. Lots of bikes mostly solo riders. More cars than I expected.
I was a bit disappointed when I rode up there a few years back. I did a detour down to the panopticon, which did look good, but wind conditions were not right for producing the eerie sounds that sometimes come from the structure...

Top Bottom